CF/HN Podcast: Jon Miller on the CyHawk game

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Well, I wouldn't go that far yet ;)

I have MSU, MN, Purdue and NW ahead of Iowa...then I see Iowa, Maryland and Michigan and MAYBE Wisconsin in the next pool. The gap between 5th and 8th just is not that big, and will be determined by health....so I am probably going to go with Iowa at 5th. But the more I consider how tight that 5-8 is, the less I see the 8th prediction as some type of insult, and look at how the media from other states etc, could just see those other three teams has having an edge on Iowa, who lost the Big Ten's leading scorer.

We tend to minimize the weaknesses of the teams we like or cover, and amply those of who we don't...I try harder and harder each year to remind myself of that but damned if it's not hard to do that when the season approaches!

Does Iowa back out of the Big 4 Classic with the B1G going to a 20 game schedule next year? I have a hard time seeing Barta wanting to participate in the annual event since they will be losing a non con home game.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Holy crap, Jon Miller actually posts here?
giphy.gif

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
It’s too hard to go through all of the schedules in the Big Ten and try to figure out where people will finish. It’s too big of a component that can really skew things in that conference.
Per usual (based on Jon's tiers), Iowa has the easiest schedule of tier 2. How I'd rank them easiest to hardest:

IA:
MSU, MN, Pur, NW, @MN
WI, UM, @UM, @MD

MD:
MSU, MN, NW, @NW, @MSU, @Pur
IA, UM, WI, @UM

UM:
MN, Pur, @Pur, @NW, @MSU
MD, @MD, @WI, @IA

WI:
MSU, NW, MN, Pur, @MSU, @NW, @Pur
UM, @IA, @MD

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Does Iowa back out of the Big 4 Classic with the B1G going to a 20 game schedule next year? I have a hard time seeing Barta wanting to participate in the annual event since they will be losing a non con home game.

I would like to see them schedule UNI and Drake in Iowa City, each year, and share some gate with them akin to what those schools made in DSM.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I would like to see them schedule UNI and Drake in Iowa City, each year, and share some gate with them akin to what those schools made in DSM.

So play all 3 instate schools every year?

That doesnt seem possible when the move to 20 B1G games is in effect.

That would be 27-28 games locked in each year when you include a tourney around Thanksgiving each year plus the B1G/ACC Challenge and if Iowa is playing in the Gavitt Games.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
So play all 3 instate schools every year?

That doesnt seem possible when the move to 20 B1G games is in effect.

That would be 27-28 games locked in each year when you include a tourney around Thanksgiving each year plus the B1G/ACC Challenge and if Iowa is playing in the Gavitt Games.
We're to the point in basketball that Iowa State doesn't want to play Iowa. It's a lose lose for us. Maybe if Iowa could be consistently good, I wouldn't mind it. But beating or losing to a perennial NIT team does nothing for ISU but hurt our resume.

817.png

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

That would be a win win but I doubt it happens. IMO the only way the Big 4 survives is if Drake can make a drastic improvement.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
We're to the point in basketball that Iowa State doesn't want to play Iowa. It's a lose lose for us. Maybe if Iowa could be consistently good, I wouldn't mind it. But beating or losing to a perennial NIT team does nothing for ISU but hurt our resume.

817.png
Pretty much, ISU is 7-3 in mbb and Iowa is 7-3 in fb over the past 10 years.

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
HEY! THIS HERE THREAD IS FER FOOTBALL TALK! ALL YOU PUMPKIN PUSHERS NEED TO TAKE THIS HERE DISCUSSIN' TO THE SHOOTY HOOPS PAGE!

*RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE*

Help Support Us

Become a patron