CF/HN Podcast: Jon Miller on the CyHawk game

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Hey all, damn I missed all the fun last month!

For all the people who think I am douche bag, dumbass, condescending whatever adjective you want to throw out here...I get it. I have certainly been that in the past, and at times, still can enjoy having some fun with that, such as the start of this podcast with Chris. At the end of the day, it’s show biz.

THAT SAID…and while the start of this podcast was certainly full of archetypes of TavernHok, etc, and it was a fun time for Chris and I, that stuff would wear me out, if I were ‘one of you’. Frankly, I just don’t enjoy that any more, but it’s fun to spar from time to time. As much as anything, I am guilty of loving debate too much…and sometimes stirring the pot for the sake of pot stirring…which is stupid, really. So again, I reap what I have sewn in this regard.

For the one or two of you that have followed me on twitter the last 13 months, you might have noticed how little I have trolled ISU…there is a reason for that…I listened to a podcast with Mike Hlas and Ben Bruns last fall…and the part where Ben talked about how some Iowa fans in his own home town couldn’t be happy for his going to Iowa State, and saying some things that were certainly not in the best of spirit…that struck a point with me….and made me examine the why behind some of the flaming items I have written and said through the years.

I think I can count on one hand the number of tweets between Sept 2016 and through August of 2017, where I said anything remotely trollish on ISU. Now, last month during the ISU week, it seems that troll character came out to play some, but still, nowhere near the level in the past. Mostly it was on this podcast.

I do ‘believe’ that it would be best for the CyHawk game if both teams were viewed as good programs….I do believe that Iowa has had more to lose in this series than they have had to gain, which is the basis for my not wanting it to continue. But I would MUCH rather see Iowa State rise up and get to a point where the annual expectations from outside of the state catch up to the true intensity of this game.

I realize that sentiment will be viewed as condescending from some, and that’s OK…I understand, but it’s how I feel. I don’t think Iowa is an elite football program…over the past ten years, they have the 24th best winning percentage among P5 programs. That’s not bad, but it’s not elite. So in reality, my opinion on the CyHawk game I have shared here and elsewhere is probably fairly moot…because Iowa is not some top of mind juggernaut, nationally.

At any rate, I have a great deal of respect for what Coach Campbell has done this year…and I have been openly cheering on this success, and I hope it continues. Seeing that mutual respect on the field back in September after both teams spilled their guts, that was quite a scene. I think Iowa and Iowa State can both be good at the same time, program wise, and not take away from the other, given the offensive trajectories of the conferences each team plays in…they won’t often go head to head on too many players…this was not the case in the Dan McCarney era….so times change…styles change, and people change.

Take care, one and all.

Last edited:

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
After listening to the podcast and reading this thread, I have come to realization how sensitive and solemn many CF posters are.

I found it to be an entertaining listen and just remember that like many media members, JM has a "character" he plays. This also happens to be a perfectly crafted character to effectively antagonize ISU fans. It appears his shtick is succeeding at a very successful rate.

p.s. Maybe growing up in Eastern Iowa near IC has made me very aware and tolerable of U of I fans, IDK. People are people.

This is on the mark...BUT...the older I get, the more I dislike 'the character' or the notion of playing him. He's not retired yet, but getting there.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think I can count on one hand the number of tweets between Sept 2016 and through August of 2017, where I said anything remotely trollish on ISU.

V9juRrm.jpg

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'd really love a whole podcast centered around depth. Why would you want 5 good players when you can have 13 mediocre ones!

That podcast exists on both HN podcast page and murph and Andy show podcast page. Thought Fales was going to squirt when he was talking about Pemsl losing 20 lbs. btw is that a good thing for his game???

Last edited:

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I'd really love a whole podcast centered around depth. Why would you want 5 good players when you can have 13 mediocre ones!

It will be interesting to see....I listen to a lot of podcasts during my commute. I read all of the articles from the media....and then I see the Big Ten media picks Iowa 8th....and I think, 'are we (in state people, who are most familiar with what Iowa has) being too myopic? Not objective?' I have a hard time thinking they will finish 8th....but I reminded folks this week that there are other real solid to very good teams in the league, too...so who knows?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
It will be interesting to see....I listen to a lot of podcasts during my commute. I read all of the articles from the media....and then I see the Big Ten media picks Iowa 8th....and I think, 'are we (in state people, who are most familiar with what Iowa has) being too myopic? Not objective?' I have a hard time thinking they will finish 8th....but I reminded folks this week that there are other real solid to very good teams in the league, too...so who knows?

Pretty much every in state media person is not going to be objective for both teams outside of Hines who picked ISU 9th out of 10. I think it's pretty apparent the Hawkeye media are being homers when the Register both picked Iowa 4th and Iowa still ended up being picked 8th. You are probably more objective than Chad honestly lol

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
You are probably more objective than Chad honestly lol

Well, I wouldn't go that far yet ;)

I have MSU, MN, Purdue and NW ahead of Iowa...then I see Iowa, Maryland and Michigan and MAYBE Wisconsin in the next pool. The gap between 5th and 8th just is not that big, and will be determined by health....so I am probably going to go with Iowa at 5th. But the more I consider how tight that 5-8 is, the less I see the 8th prediction as some type of insult, and look at how the media from other states etc, could just see those other three teams has having an edge on Iowa, who lost the Big Ten's leading scorer.

We tend to minimize the weaknesses of the teams we like or cover, and amply those of who we don't...I try harder and harder each year to remind myself of that but damned if it's not hard to do that when the season approaches!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Well, I wouldn't go that far yet ;)

I have MSU, MN, Purdue and NW ahead of Iowa...then I see Iowa, Maryland and Michigan and MAYBE Wisconsin in the next pool. The gap between 5th and 8th just is not that big, and will be determined by health....so I am probably going to go with Iowa at 5th. But the more I consider how tight that 5-8 is, the less I see the 8th prediction as some type of insult, and look at how the media from other states etc, could just see those other three teams has having an edge on Iowa, who lost the Big Ten's leading scorer.

We tend to minimize the weaknesses of the teams we like or cover, and amply those of who we don't...I try harder and harder each year to remind myself of that but damned if it's not hard to do that when the season approaches!

I will say I can't wait to see Iowa's "depth" this year and hope Fran plays everyone.

• Funny
Reactions: State43

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Pretty much every in state media person is not going to be objective for both teams outside of Hines who picked ISU 9th out of 10. I think it's pretty apparent the Hawkeye media are being homers when the Register both picked Iowa 4th and Iowa still ended up being picked 8th. You are probably more objective than Chad honestly lol
That doesn't take much.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: jsb and CyTwins

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Always talking up the Hawks , no way all 13 of those guys are mediocre.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It’s too hard to go through all of the schedules in the Big Ten and try to figure out where people will finish. It’s too big of a component that can really skew things in that conference.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
For the one or two of you that have followed me on twitter the last 13 months, you might have noticed how little I have trolled ISU…there is a reason for that…I listened to a podcast with Mike Hlas and Ben Bruns last fall…and the part where Ben talked about how some Iowa fans in his own home town couldn’t be happy for his going to Iowa State, and saying some things that were certainly not in the best of spirit…that struck a point with me….and made me examine the why behind some of the flaming items I have written and said through the years.

Speaking of trolling, have you lifted the ban hammer from VintageHawkeye and GhostofBTT on your website yet?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron