MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Good thing this is over. Another few innings and Hernandez becomes the all-time leader in postseason home runs at Wrigley

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Hey Cyclone.tv and CyJack13....I'm not sure where in the discussion this has gone sideways, but if it's my contributions, I offer an olive branch.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Puig should have worn a ball between his sixes. Not saying hurt anyone but they need to know that they acted inappropriately. Puig running up 7 should have been the final straw.

But whatevs. You clearly disagree and like to take out your frustration on fellow Cubs fans on this board who you feel don't act up to your standards. No worries. See you next season.

Meh. Anyone who bags on Puig (who performed) while thinking Cubs bullpen stupid dance cam is cool is the epitome of lame.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
CF Cub fans - thanks for the fun season. While not the primary reason I'm a CFer, you guys are a huge part of the reason I get on here every day due to the usually great discussions. I couldn't decide what best suited me as a poster this year so I tried living up to all emotions in my first post this season on the first page:

What kind of poster should I be this season? Controversial? Dramatic? Level-headed? Sarcastic?

Looking forward to a productive offseason. This team was clearly the best team in baseball last season and with most of the same players returning, clearly took a step back this year. I was critical of Epstein most of this year because I was never really sure how any of his moves from the end of 2016 to now made the Cubs better, but I have zero doubt in my mind he's going in with a hell hath no fury attitude and we will be on top next year.

Go Cubs Go

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Time to get to work Theo & Jed. Lot of $$$ coming off the books and lot of issues that need to addressed.

Probably will need 2 starting pitchers, Closer (Davis back or not?), numerous other bullpen arms, lead-off hitter, what do you do with Schwarber, can you somehow, someway get Heyward to be worth a crap at that plate? etc.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
The NLCS stunk, but it was another great season. 3 straight NLCS, fun wins, great performances, gutting out one win in the against the Dodgers.

Here is a quick write up I did for Wrigley Rapport. Love you guys.

Reactions: HoustonClone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Puig should have worn a ball between his sixes. Not saying hurt anyone but they need to know that they acted inappropriately. Puig running up 7 should have been the final straw.

But whatevs. You clearly disagree and like to take out your frustration on fellow Cubs fans on this board who you feel don't act up to your standards. No worries. See you next season.
I'm not taking out any frustration. Simply pointing out that throwing baseballs at people is a dumb practice, and something I'm glad that Maddon does not take a part in starting.

• Friendly
Reactions: FerShizzle

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Good season. It was fun to see the challenge of repeating placed on our guys instead of someone else.
If disappointment means a division title and another NLCS appearance, I'll say that's a pretty good place to be.

Looking forward to the offseason moves as we go take our title back next year.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
CF Cub fans - thanks for the fun season. While not the primary reason I'm a CFer, you guys are a huge part of the reason I get on here every day due to the usually great discussions. I couldn't decide what best suited me as a poster this year so I tried living up to all emotions in my first post this season on the first page:

Looking forward to a productive offseason. This team was clearly the best team in baseball last season and with most of the same players returning, clearly took a step back this year. I was critical of Epstein most of this year because I was never really sure how any of his moves from the end of 2016 to now made the Cubs better, but I have zero doubt in my mind he's going in with a hell hath no fury attitude and we will be on top next year.

Go Cubs Go

No identity for the Cubs this year. A few things I attribute that to:

- no veteran leader(s): last year there was David Ross, at the very least. Probably could put Dexter Fowler in that category as well. Rizzo may be close to that kind of guy, I don't think he's there yet, and while he has talent, I don't think anyone is going to confuse a guy like Lester as a leader

- no leadoff hitter: started the season with Schwarber there, and it was a disaster from the start. Fowler was sorely missed

- pitching: good? Pretty solid? Sure, but not a single pitcher on the roster was dominant this season. How many first inning runs did the starters give up? Now, most times, that was limited to 1-2 runs, but they seemed to always be playing uphill

- hitting: wow. What a regression from last season. They had a pretty damn good second half, but I've felt all year the approach was piss poor. Seemed everyone, from the top to the bottom, was only interested in hitting home runs for the most part. Last season, the lineup wore pitchers out. Deep counts, battling. Not so this season. And what's wrong with going to the opposite field? The Dodgers seems to be able to employ a shift on virtually every hitter. Hitting is hard enough, and when you only leave yourself half a field, it's exponentially more difficult

- the defense wasn't even really good this year. Spectacular plays every once in a while, sure, but far from solid overall

In short, this club needs, among probably other things:

- a leadoff hitter
- the patient approach to return
- basehits
- playing within themselves
- multiple, consistent arms

3 of the 5 above don't require adding anyone new to the roster.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Bad deal when it's over, a lot of time and energy invested. Cubs had a good season by any measure.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I don't think that the dance cam is cool and ends up looking really foolish in games they go on to lose.
So pretty much you don't like fun. I feel like I've read all of what you're saying in book called "The Cardinal Way".

Help Support Us

Become a patron