Will we win another game this year without Park starting?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I doubt Stoops had anything to do with OU's game plan... OU was dominant to start the game and was up 14-0 in the blink of an eye. This wasn't your typical playing down to an opponent or and under dog getting multiple breaks. We flat out beat OU for 3 straight quarters.

It may not have been raining the entire game but the field conditions certainly came into play and changed the way we attacked KU on offense. Kempt only threw the ball 20 times against a really bad secondary and I can guarantee you that wasn't going to be the game plan in better conditions.
You don't think the DC had anything to do with the defense? Mike Stoops had a ton to do with OU's game plan. We're talking about ISU's offense (in particular Kempt) against OU's defense. The suggestion was that Kempt had the game of his life. I don't think that's the case, but rather OU was not prepared well and Kempt's teammates played very well.

No one claimed the field conditions didn't come into play, but the offensive struggles were not solely because of the field. He had 20 passes in 3 quarters, more than against OU. Go back and watch the game, the execution was largely poor. Again, the Oline is my primary concern, and that always ends up on the QB's desk. They routinely got whipped against KU and it bothered Kempt some. We're going to need to counter teams overwhelming the line, compressing the field, and stopping DM. Can Kempt throw those type of tough passes. Hopefully.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
As its been said before, we just need Kempt to simply be smart with the ball and get it to our playmakers, like he has done the last two games. If he continues to do this we will be competitive until Park returns or in the case that he doesn't, the rest of the season

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Even IF Park were back for TCU it will have been a month since his last game. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe he has been at practice lately so he is not even getting snaps with scout team. Depending upon Kempt's performance in Lubbock it may be hard for Park to get starting job back given the next three defenses we face.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
You don't think the DC had anything to do with the defense? Mike Stoops had a ton to do with OU's game plan. We're talking about ISU's offense (in particular Kempt) against OU's defense. The suggestion was that Kempt had the game of his life. I don't think that's the case, but rather OU was not prepared well and Kempt's teammates played very well.

I get what you say about the OU game -- but I prefer to believe it was a little bit of a lot of things that added up for Kempt to have a great game -- some poor D play calling by Stoops, some good O play calling from ISU and Kempt playing within himself and not making a lot of mistakes.

Kempt reminds me of Jacy Holloway when he ran the offense for ISU in basketball. Holloway wasn't a scorer, but did score in crucial situations. He wasn't flashy, but he did his job of getting the ball to the key players at key times.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I get what you say about the OU game -- but I prefer to believe it was a little bit of a lot of things that added up for Kempt to have a great game -- some poor D play calling by Stoops, some good O play calling from ISU and Kempt playing within himself and not making a lot of mistakes.

Kempt reminds me of Jacy Holloway when he ran the offense for ISU in basketball. Holloway wasn't a scorer, but did score in crucial situations. He wasn't flashy, but he did his job of getting the ball to the key players at key times.
Nothing you stated here suggests Kempt had the game of his life though, which was what I was responding to.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Nothing you stated here suggests Kempt had the game of his life though, which was what I was responding to.

So you don't give any credit to Kempt at all for the OU win? None? Nadda? Zilch?

Interesting take.

I guess I would be interested to know how you define someone having the "game of his life".

Based on his career, having never started in any college game at any level, he did have the game of his life.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
So you don't give any credit to Kempt at all for the OU win? None? Nadda? Zilch?

Interesting take.

I guess I would be interested to know how you define someone having the "game of his life".

Based on his career, having never started in any college game at any level, he did have the game of his life.
Saying he didn't have the game of his life is not equivalent to giving him no credit.

The game of his life would suggest his performance is nearly not replicable and he played past his innate ability. I think Kempt would, and will, have similar performances if his teammates play as well and the opposition defense fails to execute an equally mediocre game plan. Now, if the defense compresses the field, Oline struggles, and the WRs return to having drops, Kempt may not have the talent to counter.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Saying he didn't have the game of his life is not equivalent to giving him no credit.

The game of his life would suggest his performance is nearly not replicable and he played past his innate ability. I think Kempt would, and will, have similar performances if his teammates play as well and the opposition defense fails to execute an equally mediocre game plan. Now, if the defense compresses the field, Oline struggles, and the WRs return to having drops, Kempt may not have the talent to counter.
Unless something crazy happens and they get an awesome bowl game... above all the other games he's played I'm pretty sure kempt will always remember when he beat the number three team in the the nation on their home field on his first start... I don't even see a game the rest of the season that will compare. If your trying to say he may have comparible stats in one of the upcoming games... maybe maybe not.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Unless something crazy happens and they get an awesome bowl game... above all the other games he's played I'm pretty sure kempt will always remember when he beat the number three team in the the nation on their home field on his first start... I don't even see a game the rest of the season that will compare. If your trying to say he may have comparible stats in one of the upcoming games... maybe maybe not.
You're talking about emotions, I'm talking about performance. It'll likely be Lazard's memorable, but it wasn't the game of his life.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
You're talking about emotions, I'm talking about performance. It'll likely be Lazard's memorable, but it wasn't the game of his life.

Which game has he played better in? To this point it was the game of his life... and it could be the only game he plays well in the rest of the season. Even performance wise game of his life.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE

Interesting take.

Technically, he did play the game of his life...because it was the first full college football game he had ever played in his life.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Which game has he played better in? To this point it was the game of his life... and it could be the only game he plays well in the rest of the season. Even performance wise game of his life.
So at this time last week you were saying it was the worst game of his life?