Paul Shirley: Not Surprisingly continues to be critical of Eustachy.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
I had no idea the Shirley fire was this hot among the fan base (and maybe I am out of touch...after all my profile picture is of Wayne Morgan). It should be noted that Paul said in that interview that the recent reunion reminded him of all the great things at Iowa State and made him nostalgic about Hilton Magic, for whatever that is worth. However; some of you are correct that he did seem to go out of his way to bring up Eustachy even when it was not mentioned by the host.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Has Seneca written and published articles about whether or not he was in?

Plenty of players have said that LE was tough on the team and demanded a lot, but from what I've read most are appreciative of where it got the team and themselves individually.

Except for the ones he ran off and verbally abused

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
But he DID manage to squeak out something sexist instead.

haha, i didn't mean larry would make his wife iron his clothes if that's what you're implying. i was picturing larry trying to get ready before the game and can't quite get that black adidas mock turtle looking perfect so he irrationally resorts to throwing the ironing board across the room and berates the shirt. it would be tough to live with someone like that if you ask me. some of you seem to be straining to pick a fight, sheesh.

• Creative
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Not saying it was right, but there are those that could handle it and did things like played on the best team ever at ISU.

I get it. I loved that team too.

Reality is Larry treated a LOT of people at Iowa State badly. He obviously continues to treat people badly as was proven in that article from last spring.

People want to stick up for him because Iowa State has a ****** athletic history, that I understand also.

I don’t think Paul walks around actively hating Larry. But when he speaks to anyone associated with Iowa and Iowa State it’s gonna be a topic

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I listened to part of the podcast yesterday, earliest discussion about Eustachy stuff begins around 11:20 (although LE is mentioned by host prior to that point, in context of the player reunion).

Around 12:30
Shirley references news from last year that LE “created a culture of fear” at Colorado State. “Actually probably a nice way of putting it … that he just … treats people like garbage.”

13:40
Host asks if ISU players were aware of LE’s “extracurricular” off-court stuff. Shirley said, “We were not.” Paul then references Op/Ed he wrote for DMR and says that piece included: “Who are (we) to say how he’s supposed to behave off the court? …. (LE) shouldn’t be judged for going to a party, what he should be judged for is graduation rate and how he treats people.”

I suggest listening to that 2 or 3 minute segment, draw conclusions as you will.

I’m sure Paul could sidestep the topic when it arises, instead of continuing to elaborate … if he gets questions, he could say, “I’ve talked about that, I don’t really have anything to add to it.” But he tends to be candid about everything else, it probably isn’t his nature to avoid discussion.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I didn't think the interview was that bad, especially given this thread.

But I don't especially love or hate Paul Shirley either.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
This is why the internet sucks. I bet we all had bad coaches growing up, and if someone asks you about them today you'd still say..."yeah, couldn't stand that guy.." Yet Paul is just supposed to shut up and stop whining. Just dumb, Larry wasn't a good person at ISU. He just wasn't. This opinion is shared by MANY more than just Paul.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Spare me. Think what you want about Paul and his public airing of grievances, but Larry and ISU did not "give" Paul his career. Paul gave himself his career through a high level of talent and hardwork. Did he use ISU (and possibly Larry) as a vehicle to get where he wanted to go? Sure, but Paul doesn't owe Larry, ISU, or any of us anything.

Hey Paul could you quit being a ***** and shut up about things that happened nearly 20 years ago.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Thank you for the high level of research you did that doesn't actually prove your point.

Regardless of how many offers he had or didn't have, you have no way of knowing what Paul's career could have or would have been had he accepted an Ivy league scholarship or not played basketball at all. Maybe he wouldn't have had a shot at the NBA, but maybe he would have become an investment banker and made far more money. Again, ISU and Larry didn't give Paul his career.

I have no problem with people who view Paul negatively. Think what you want. I agree that the public airing of his grievances isn't a great look for him. That doesn't change my opinion that its utter ******** to say that Paul owes Larry or ISU anything.

I hope my word choice made you giggle a bit.

- Uncle Rico

Why are u referring to yourself in the 3rd person Paul?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Shirley wasn't the only guy to play for "Bad Larry". Why is he the only whiny little douche that has to keep reminding everyone?

Reactions: Angie

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Have any of you read either of Paul's books. I have read both, and the one he released last week was great. In all actuality he only mentions LE twice in the book (once only actually by name)