• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
So having watched the first 2 episodes of Inhumans, I don't understand the absolute hate for this show. While Norbert being great, it's not really bad either.
It's way better than Shield when it started imo

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Thor: Ragnarok was shown to the press this weekend. Review embargo is in place until Oct 19, but here are some initial reactions:

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Here is an updated MCU rankings as well to include Agents of Shield: Season 4:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Thought this movie had the best drama and best writing and story line of all the movies. Its action sequences were probably only second to Civil War as well.
  2. Marvel’s The Avengers – Iconic way to pull everything together with the best villain in the MCU. The final battle was so epic and unlike anything we had ever seen up until that point.
  3. Captain America: Civil War - Most fun and one of the funniest movies on the list. Also produced the best action sequences, had some of the best character moments, and showcased the best balancing act of so many characters. Biggest downfall was having a very good, but not great story line, which kept it from topping my list.
  4. Iron Man – Epic way to start the Universe with an unbelievable star for a headliner. Never got into the Iron Monger villain though.
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy – Best space epic since the original Star Wars movies. Also was probably the funniest movie of the MCU so far.
  6. Marvel's Daredevil: Season 2 - The introduction of Jon Bernthal's Punisher in Season 2 was what truly made this season great and better than Season 2. Had a few pacing issues, but overall, the series only improved all the characters within it from Season 1, but I'm still so-so on all the Electra stuff. Still needs a few more crossovers, but had a few.
  7. Marvel’s Daredevil: Season 1 – Loved the street-level more-adult-themed tone of this show. Also contains probably the second best villain in the MCU. Being on Netflix is a great way to un-cuff all the normal problems of making a TV show for network viewing.
  8. Ant-Man - Had super-low expectations, but walked away pleasantly surprised. Yet another weak villain, but contained some great comedy with some great actors. Paul Rudd won me over when I once was really skeptical of him.
  9. Captain America: The First Avenger – Epic first-half of the movie with Cap’s origin story, but believe it or not, I found Red Skull a little underdeveloped. Loved the WWII time period aspect of this one.
  10. Spider-Man: Homecoming - Amazing casting on this movie throughout, with Tom Holland being the best Spider-Man yet. Also featured one of the greatest villains in the MCU yet with Michael Keaton, with one of the best scenes and best twists. Movie just lacked the music score and emotional weight of some of its predecessors.
  11. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 4 - Best season of AOS so far with a very good two-part story line. Ghost Rider was amazing movie quality all around (casting, acting, visuals, story) and fit perfectly into the story, as well as tying the series to the Doctor Strange multi-verse/mystical/inter-dimensional world. Tons of fun with a lot of great emotion.
  12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Huge on the laughs, fun and heart, but a little mediocre on the story and substance. Also, went a little overboard at times where things got a bit too campy. Characters were probably more fun than story.
  13. Marvel's Jessica Jones - Series filled with great actors, great drama, good diversity to what we are used to, and one of the best villains in the MCU (Kilgrave). Series suffered most from having probably 3-4 too many episodes, poor pacing, and not enough ties to the overall MCU.
  14. Iron Man 2 – Many will mock me, but I actually really enjoyed this movie and actually enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3. Make fun of me all you want, but I didn’t think Whiplash was that bad. I think this movie gets unfairly criticized.
  15. Doctor Strange - This was a fairly Marvel formulaic origin story with some ground-breaking visual effects, a mediocre villain, an innovative ending, and some great characters. However, its biggest problem for me is that it was probably just a bit too out there on the magic side to fully be my cup of tea, which is okay. I still enjoyed it.
  16. Avengers: Age of Ultron – Fun movie, but suffered from too much CGI action, too many characters, and too many storylines.
  17. Iron Man 3 – Don’t know what it is, but I just never really got into this one, and it probably had something to do with the big Mandarin villain twist towards the end. Also never really liked Killian either. Again, I surprisingly like Iron Man 2 better
  18. Thor – Don’t know what it is, but I just never got into this storyline or villains as much as the others. However, it is growing on me over time and I now like this more than Thor: The Dark World
  19. Marvel's Luke Cage: Season 1: Loved the music angle, loved Cottonmouth as the villain, loved the first 4 episodes. However, this was another Netflix series that really lost its way somewhere in the middle, and I really didn't care for any of the Diamondback stuff. Still enjoyed it, but definitely the worst Netflix series yet.
  20. Thor: The Dark World – Criticize me if you will, but I actually liked this movie more than probably most, but after re-watching it recently, it did fall some in my rankings. I now have the origin Thor above it.
  21. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 2 – Liked the less cheese and more serious tone than the first season. Also, loved the Inhuman’s storyline. Used to hate Skye, but now don’t mind her. This is definitely the best AOS season so far
  22. Marvel’s Agent Carter – Loved the period timepiece aspect of this. Great show.
  23. The Incredible Hulk – Good movie, but not great. Never was into Norton for the role or the look they gave theHulk, so I was super glad when the switch was made and they remade the Hulk's appearance.
  24. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 1 – Struggled hardcore in the first half-dozen episodes, but then finally picked up when Winter Soldier story line set in and the cheese started to fade. Overall, ended up really enjoying this.
  25. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 3 - Was VERY up and down throughout. There was times I really liked what they were doing, whereas other times where I really did not like what they were doing. Overall, the series is getting a little tired, too many forced fistfights, and still too high on the cheese factor. Still fun at times though.
  26. Marvel's Agent Carter: Season 2 - Great actors and characters combined with a poor stand-alone story, which lacked substance and true stakes to the MCU
  27. Marvel's Iron Fist: Season 1 - A combination of terrible casting/acting from Danny Rand, terrible boring story, poor fight sequences, and too low a budget resulted in Marvel's first major dud for a TV show. At least the back half of the season was much better than the front half.

Totally agree with you about Iron Man 2. I really liked that movie, much better than Iron Man 3.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Thor: Ragnarok was shown to the press this weekend. Review embargo is in place until Oct 19, but here are some initial reactions:

It is usually always a really good sign when not only is the review embargo set up to be lifted significantly before the release date, but even more so when it gets moved up to that spot. What it shows is the confidence the studio has in the movie. Marvel did the same thing for quite a few of their previous movies that were really good too.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Any of you other nerds out there cosplay, dress up at all, or simply wear superhero clothing all the time??? I've never gone to the cosplay level, but I do wear superhero stuff constantly. In fact, I'm mostly obsessed with all the underarmor suphero clothing. Right now, I've got the Under Armour Captain America, Iron Man, and Superman shirts. Would buy more if my wife let me. Shoot, I even snuck in buying my wife a Captain America one too, as well as an Iron Man one for my daughter. See below. Feel free to post pictures of yourself.

22221629_10104749502490900_471819914862786206_n.jpg

This one is actually in Vegas at The Mirage Sports Book right after the OU vs ISU win. That is my immediate shocked face right after the end!!!

20799953_10104595267364330_5954876568904151200_n.jpg

19748449_10104453658609410_3866453265912763726_n.jpg

This is a light jacket I've got that is pretty sweet too:
13174106_10103241930811630_1778455313167369166_n.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: Diggame

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Question: Has anyone else been to the Marvel's Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N in Vegas before??? I actually went this past week and I thought it was awesome for any other MCU geek out there like me. I really didn't know what to expect, and it ended up exceeding my expectations. How it is set up is pretty sweet and the place is loaded with a ton of the actual props and costumes from the movie. I was in heaven with those. There was also a few really cool computer simulations that were really fun. Anyway, here are a few of my pics from it for anyone interested.

upload_2017-10-13_8-28-41.png
upload_2017-10-13_8-29-54.png
upload_2017-10-13_8-30-34.png
upload_2017-10-13_8-31-18.png
upload_2017-10-13_8-32-3.png
upload_2017-10-13_8-32-46.png
upload_2017-10-13_8-33-33.png
upload_2017-10-13_8-34-3.png

Its worth noting, I ended up touring this place by myself while my wife shopped. These are only a few of the MANY things there too. Lots of other sweet stuff as well. Truthfully, my favorite was this last Captain America Suite from The Avengers. Shoot, that is my least favorite suite of all of his, yet, it was still SWEET to see in person, not to mention Cap is my favorite superhero.

FYI... that hall of armor was the actual one from the movies.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Saw the last few minutes of the Inhumans tonight.
They've got a ways to go. At least half of those minutes were painfully bad. A couple minutes were OK and looked like they had potential, but not enough for me to remind myself next week.

The special effects for the explosion got really, really rough.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
new black panther trailer dropped:

I'm refusing to watch it but would love to hear other people's thoughts.

Action overload, couldn't tell a thing.
February release date is usually suspect but if it hits makes no difference.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Action overload, couldn't tell a thing.
February release date is usually suspect but if it hits makes no difference.

With Marvel Studios movies, I wouldn't worry even in the slightest about a February release date. For one, that release date was set long before they even started making the movie. Secondly, Marvel has 3 movies coming out next year, so they pretty much have to do an early-year release date to squeeze them all in. And lastly, Marvel knows people will come to see their movies regardless of when they put them, and only a few franchises could say that. In a way, they will have zero competition too during February, which may pan out even better for them. Deadpool ended up capitalizing on the same thing in March when it came out.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I liked it, but it's really hard to dislike an MCU trailer. I would say I'm more hyped up for Ragnarok than this movie, but I'm definitely still excited after watching the trailer. The music adds a lot to the vibe and helps distinguish this from the other MCU films. More footage of Andy Serkis/Klaue in this trailer. Kind of confused by the three antagonists: Killmonger, Klaue, and M'Baku (Man-Ape - but they aren't going to call him that in the MCU). I think that makes sense when you have more "grounded" villains that don't have superpowers, but worried that it muddies the plot. They made it a point to show T'Challa putting on the Black Panther outfit (twice) and that was really interesting how they did that. Way more shots of Wakanda and it looks very impressive.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I liked it, but it's really hard to dislike an MCU trailer. I would say I'm more hyped up for Ragnarok than this movie, but I'm definitely still excited after watching the trailer. The music adds a lot to the vibe and helps distinguish this from the other MCU films. More footage of Andy Serkis/Klaue in this trailer. Kind of confused by the three antagonists: Killmonger, Klaue, and M'Baku (Man-Ape - but they aren't going to call him that in the MCU). I think that makes sense when you have more "grounded" villains that don't have superpowers, but worried that it muddies the plot. They made it a point to show T'Challa putting on the Black Panther outfit (twice) and that was really interesting how they did that. Way more shots of Wakanda and it looks very impressive.

Interesting. I'm actually more pumped for Black Panther than I am Thor: Ragnorak. I'm probably in the minority though.

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
Question: Has anyone else been to the Marvel's Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N in Vegas before??? I actually went this past week and I thought it was awesome for any other MCU geek out there like me. I really didn't know what to expect, and it ended up exceeding my expectations. How it is set up is pretty sweet and the place is loaded with a ton of the actual props and costumes from the movie. I was in heaven with those. There was also a few really cool computer simulations that were really fun. Anyway, here are a few of my pics from it for anyone interested.

View attachment 50729
View attachment 50730
View attachment 50731
View attachment 50732
View attachment 50733
View attachment 50734
View attachment 50735
View attachment 50736

Its worth noting, I ended up touring this place by myself while my wife shopped. These are only a few of the MANY things there too. Lots of other sweet stuff as well. Truthfully, my favorite was this last Captain America Suite from The Avengers. Shoot, that is my least favorite suite of all of his, yet, it was still SWEET to see in person, not to mention Cap is my favorite superhero.

FYI... that hall of armor was the actual one from the movies.

I'm going next week to Vegas didn't know this existed definitely going to check it out

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm going next week to Vegas didn't know this existed definitely going to check it out

I'd highly recommend. I also hardly included pictures of everything that was there. It really is pretty expansive and they say they intend to grow it over time with all the more recent and impending movies. As of now, I'd say it is pretty much only updated through Ant-Man, but that is still pretty impressive. As for picking up tickets, I'd highly recommend you take the extra time to just stop by one of the tix4tonight booth that are scattered throughout Vegas and the strip that sell half price tickets to save some dough verses just buying your tickets there:

http://www.tix4tonight.com/

Reactions: Diggame

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This is NOT MCU or even Marvel related, but I thought I'd just throw it here for any fans of superhero shows in general. I've watched Season 1 of "The Tick" lately on Amazon, which is essentially only the first half of Season 1, and really enjoyed it. Truthfully, if you are looking for just a light fun superhero romp in an almost parody type manner, I'd highly recommend. While the story so far isn't anything to write home about quite yet, what makes it fun is the characters and the tone. Peter Serafinowicz is awesome and hilarious as The Tick, Arthur is solid, and maybe my second favorite character is Jack Haley as The Terror. As for the tone, it is almost hard to describe, because there is nothing really like it out there, which is what makes it so refreshing. However, if I had to describe it, I'd almost call it a superhero parody that is both fun and serious when it needs to be, with kind of the look and feel of The Incredibles in live action.

Anyway, if you are looking for something lighter to mix in with your superhero mix of movies and TV shows, I'd highly recommend checking The Tick out. You likely aren't going to walk away ranking it as one of the best superhero shows ever, but I can pretty much promise you you'll at least have a decent amount of fun watching it. The nice thing is that it really is NOT HARD to do either as there is only 6 episodes out so far and episodes are like a whopping 24 minutes each. Commitment level is LOW. Shoot, you could hammer everything out in a weekend easy if you wanted, much less maybe even one sitting.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm way behind the 8-ball on this, but finally delving into The Defenders. So far, I'm halfway through, so 4 episodes down and 4 to go. Truthfully, for all the talk of mixed reviews, I'm actually really digging the series so far. Sure, the first 2 episodes came at a bit of a snail pace, but I really liked episodes 3 and 4, particularly how they have tied the villain, all the separate series, and all the separate characters together in a fairly natural manner. In fact, I really like what they are doing so far with Sigourney Weaver and The Hand. Shoot, I'll even say they are partially redeeming Iron Fist so far. Sure, he still has some reverting-back terrible moments, but at least they are mixed in with some border-line decent ones. He still isn't fully redeemed, but at least he I can somewhat stand him now.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The review of "Ragnorak" in USA Today got on it for being too heavy on humor/wisecracks.

Is that possible in a Marvel movie?