Bowl Game Projections

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
By your standard utilized here, no one cares about all but a handful of games a year. Just have the top 14 programs by TV ratings round-robin and call it good, right?

In that context, I agree. But I expanded on my argument later in the thread - a single game system is what makes it unenjoyable.

Putting it another way - would you rather Iowa State played Nevada in basketball, won, then went home...or would you rather a playoff system where winner moves on? In my opinion that's the only format that would make an ISU-North Texas game enjoyable. Not sure why there'd be disagreement with that.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Maybe no one cares about the Heart of Dallas Bowl from in front of their television set at home, but I guarantee 20,000+ Cyclones fans would enjoy the game in person regardless if it were against North Texas or Alabama.

The “only cares about in a playoff format” line is coming from a TV perspective.

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Exhibit A why there needs to be a playoff system. Nobody gives a flying **** about the Heart of Dallas bowl or North Texas.

If we finally got a true playoff system, there would still be several Don't Give a Flying F*** Bowls, sort of a college-football NIT for teams that missed a invitation. But those bowls wouldn't have any less general interest than they do currently. So the playoff wouldn't change that in itself.

But basically, I agree with you. If there was a smartly designed 16- or 20-team playoff with auto-bids and at-large teams done correctly, something like a Big 12 vs. C-USA or Big Ten vs. Sun Belt in early round would have some meaning in the larger picture.

GoldenCardinal

Aug 29, 2016
Iowa
ISU obviously needs to qualify for a bowl game first, but I would just want to play against a power five team. Well, I guess my first preference would be to not play against a team that we've already played this year. A matchup against Akron in the Heart of Dallas Bowl or something like that would be a little underwhelming, like our rematch against Tulsa in 2012.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Only problem I have with Frisco Bowl is it’s played in a stadium that only holds like 20k. If ISU plays in a Texas bowl they could bring 20k fans themselves. Would hate to see what the ticket prices would be if two good fan bases make that bowl.
I see the Frisco bowl is another ESPN created bowl. Why they chose a soccer stadium that holds 20k viewers is beyond me. They must plan on having schools that are so far away they know not many fans will show up but they'll still require the schools to buy 10k tickets.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Honestly I can't argue with Jerry Palm's at the moment. You could make a case for Georgia and TCU, but if Ohio State beats Penn State and then they both win out it'll be tough to hold them both back. Ohio State is ripe for another loss though.

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
Here my wishlist for bowl game, base on priority:

1) Make it to a bowl game
2) Play a Power 5 team*
3) Play a Group of 5 team*

*Regardless of opponent, my goal will be to consume copious amounts of Busch Light

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
Possibly already posted ... USA Today bowl projection that went live about a day ago.

Heart of Dallas vs. North Texas
I've seen a couple of these Heart of Dallas projections out there, but I think the majority of the media is missing the fact that in August, the B1G traded bowls with C-USA for this year, so the opponent would be a B1G team, not a C-USA team as many are projecting.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If we go to Memphis, some one needs to give them a better warning this time. Last time, we were clearly more than they were expecting.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
If we go to Memphis, some one needs to give them a better warning this time. Last time, we were clearly more than they were expecting.
LOL Pretty sure Coyote Ugly had to call in bartenders on Sunday night. That was packed with ISU fans.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Would love to play a relatively big name program that isn't actually that good. Liberty Bowl vs. SEC is ripe for that. Give us Texas A&M or Florida or something. I'd say Tennessee but I imagine lots of Vols in the Memphis area would buy tickets even if they weren't enthusiastic about that bowl game.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I see the Frisco bowl is another ESPN created bowl. Why they chose a soccer stadium that holds 20k viewers is beyond me. They must plan on having schools that are so far away they know not many fans will show up but they'll still require the schools to buy 10k tickets.

Used to be the Miami Beach Bowl, played at Marlins Park. Could have checked another baseball stadium off the list.