New Mattress Shopping

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I bought a Ghostbed 2 years ago. It's awesome if you like a firmer mattress. I'd also recommend king size. Changed my life and I'm not even married.

100% agree, I had a GhostBed, but it was too firm for me. Their "return" process was really easy, you just donate it to any charity, get a receipt, and send it to them and they give you a full refund. If you like firm mattresses definitely consider GhostBed.

• Friendly
Reactions: NickTheGreat

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
100% agree, I had a GhostBed, but it was too firm for me. Their "return" process was really easy, you just donate it to any charity, get a receipt, and send it to them and they give you a full refund. If you like firm mattresses definitely consider GhostBed.

That was the other thing. They seem like a really good company.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
My wife and I bought a Select Comfort Sleep Number bed 1 1/2 years ago and love it. We upgraded to a king and it is wonderful. It is wonderful because my wife and I set our beds differently and can both be happy. They also have a 25 year warranty. In my opinion this was a great investment even though it was pricey. People spend 1/3 of their lives in bed and a good nights sleep is so important.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We bought a new bed several years ago. I was dragging the old one out to the curb for junk day. As I drug the mattress out a person came by and asked if there was a box spring with it. I told him if he waited there would also be a frame. He asked if I needed help bringing it out. I told him no, (didn't want anybody in my house who would take a curb mattress). It was gone 10 minutes after I got it out. That is nasty, I will not take used mattresses.

• Funny
Reactions: Tailg8er

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Another thing to consider is sheets. If you buy something like a tempurpedic, you'll have to buy special sheets to fit and they are not easy or cheap to find. Tempurpedic's are a lot thinner then your normal mattress.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
Another thing to consider is sheets. If you buy something like a tempurpedic, you'll have to buy special sheets to fit and they are not easy or cheap to find. Tempurpedic's are a lot thinner then your normal mattress.

:confused:

We have a Tempurpedic with normal sheets that work just fine. They are thinner mattresses but the sheets just 'hug' tighter (ie. go under the bed farther).

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
:confused:

We have a Tempurpedic with normal sheets that work just fine. They are thinner mattresses but the sheets just 'hug' tighter (ie. go under the bed farther).

We must use different kinds of sheets. If I used normal sized fitted sheets on our bed they would be VERY loose.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
We got our Tuft & Needle king yesterday and tried it out. So far we are extremely happy. It is much more comfortable than our old mattress. If we continue to get sleep like we did last night and the mattress holds up like people are claiming, we will never buy another brand mattress again.

Reactions: AgronAlum

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
We got our Tuft & Needle king yesterday and tried it out. So far we are extremely happy. It is much more comfortable than our old mattress. If we continue to get sleep like we did last night and the mattress holds up like people are claiming, we will never buy another brand mattress again.

Yeah, updating my previous review I would say I love ours now (we've had it for about a month).

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
We've had a sleep number bed for 14 years and I would not probably do that again. After 5-6 years it really started to deform for me, because I tend to keep it on the soft side. My wife's side, at setting 100, has maintained shape. The LCD screens on the remotes failed right away and they refused to warranty them.

We added a memory foam topper awhile ago that allowed me to inflate it a bunch so it maintains shape but still keep it soft on the surface which is working for now.

I'm thinking about going Purple when the time comes. We just aren't sure it's going to be the suitable bed for the both of us.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA

Stomache, back or side sleepers? Useful info from anyone recommending a bed as firmness and comfort level is very different depending which you are.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Stomache, back or side sleepers? Useful info from anyone recommending a bed as firmness and comfort level is very different depending which you are.
I'm a back sleeper and my wife is a stomache sleeper and we are both happy so far.

This bed is more firmer than the other online matttresses you can buy.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

I'm a back/side sleeper, I would agree with CysRage that it's more firm than I was expecting, but still has a squishy surface, if that makes sense.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So they sell the exact same mattress but just in different sizes? I'm just trying to wrap my head around how they cater and keep happy when people can have such wildly different preferences in mattresses.

They mattress is soft but firm at the same time. It’s kind of weird moving to foam but I will never go back to a traditional one.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
We've had a sleep number bed for 14 years and I would not probably do that again. After 5-6 years it really started to deform for me, because I tend to keep it on the soft side. My wife's side, at setting 100, has maintained shape. The LCD screens on the remotes failed right away and they refused to warranty them.

We added a memory foam topper awhile ago that allowed me to inflate it a bunch so it maintains shape but still keep it soft on the surface which is working for now.

I'm thinking about going Purple when the time comes. We just aren't sure it's going to be the suitable bed for the both of us.

Just pick one and try it. All the decent online companies have a trial period with full money back if you don't like it. (see the link I had earlier in the thread)

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

My tempurpedic beef is with sex. Memory foam prohibits a guy from gaining a solid enough foundation to get after it. Really helps when there is something to push back on - not just sink into.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My wife and I are now talking about getting a split-king adjustable (I have reflux and her allergies bother her less with some incline). We are debating what time of year is the best to buy. I've read May as new models come out over the summer, but I'm generally of the opinion that waiting on a sale is probably not going to save much over what we could negotiate for on your average day. Thoughts?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
For those who've recently bought a mattress discussed on this thread -- do you use a foundation or some type of what we used to call box springs with it? Our bed frame is part of a bedroom set, so there's only two or three wood slats at its base as a kind of added support for the foundation. I don't know how just a mattress like the T&N could be used without something below it.

Reactions: isutrevman