New Music Releases 2017

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Foo Fighters' new album came out today. It's... eh. Like most of their new stuff.

Hallelujah, someone else who agrees.

Just listened to "Arrows." It's fine.

Reactions: Doc

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Foo Fighters' new album came out today. It's... eh. Like most of their new stuff.

I really like 'La Dee Da' and 'The Line'. It's a solid album overall. The Sky is a Neighborhood is getting old fast though, as it is a little too repetitive for my taste.

Regardless, I am absolutely pumped to see the Foo Fighters in Des Moines next month. They put on a fantastic show!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
@Angie you listen to the new J. Roddy Walston & the Business yet?

As we are speaking I was just firing it up! I am still so bummed they were sold out already for Codfish Hollow.

I am only two songs in, but it's really good. "You Know Me Better" has such a feel of, like, Shovels & Rope meets Shakey's raspiest voice meets Houndmouth's catch vibe to it. I didn't describe that well at all - but it's cool. I am digging it. (Edit - I also hear some early Kings of Leon in it. Before they sold out.)

You'll appreciate this - I had the following conversation with a friend yesterday when I accidentally showed up wearing both a jean jacket and a pair of jeans, because I didn't have a better middle-weight jacket:

Me: "I'm so sorry, I know I'm rocking a Canadian tuxedo. I've got a little bit of a Ryan Adams thing going on, I know."

Her: "Bryan Adams?"

Me: "...Probably as accurate here, sure."

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
As we are speaking I was just firing it up! I am still so bummed they were sold out already for Codfish Hollow.

I am only two songs in, but it's really good. "You Know Me Better" has such a feel of, like, Shovels & Rope meets Shakey's raspiest voice meets Houndmouth's catch vibe to it. I didn't describe that well at all - but it's cool. I am digging it. (Edit - I also hear some early Kings of Leon in it. Before they sold out.)

You'll appreciate this - I had the following conversation with a friend yesterday when I accidentally showed up wearing both a jean jacket and a pair of jeans, because I didn't have a better middle-weight jacket:

Me: "I'm so sorry, I know I'm rocking a Canadian tuxedo. I've got a little bit of a Ryan Adams thing going on, I know."

Her: "Bryan Adams?"

Me: "...Probably as accurate here, sure."
Only listened through once but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it will get better with more listens too.

Hahaha! That's awesome

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Anybody heard the new Wolf Alice album? Great British rock band.

Just a couple of songs off of it, but I really enjoy it so far. They are awesome and unique.

St. Vincent's new album is pretty decent. The second half loses me, but Pills alone was enough for me to grab the album.

I do prefer some of their old stuff to the later songs on the new album, but I really like St. Vincent. They'd be a pretty awesome get for one of the festivals this summer.

Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
St. Vincent's new album is pretty decent. The second half loses me, but Pills alone was enough for me to grab the album.
I feel their (her) style is very hit or miss on songs, but she never does anything half ass. Agreed Pills captured me and made me listen to the rest of the album, but the self-titled Album is still my favorite by far.

• Agree
Reactions: Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I do prefer some of their old stuff to the later songs on the new album, but I really like St. Vincent. They'd be a pretty awesome get for one of the festivals this summer.
She was at 80/35 a few years back with David Byrne when they did an album together. Really bummed I missed that one.

• Informative

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Beck - Colors was dropped on Friday
That's been on pretty constant rotation!

Good album.
But... and maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, but I think it's a little vanilla for a Beck album. And I really like some of the tracks, but they are maybe a bit too poppy for my tastes. At least from what I expect from Beck.

Probably just me.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
New Hellbound Glory, Turnpike Troubadours, and Margo Price this week!

1409263598880.gif

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
New Hellbound Glory, Turnpike Troubadours, and Margo Price this week!

1409263598880.gif

If you haven't, check out Kendell Marvel's new album, "Lowdown and Lonesome." If you're excited about those three artists, then this album could hold you over until then.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Good album.
But... and maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, but I think it's a little vanilla for a Beck album. And I really like some of the tracks, but they are maybe a bit too poppy for my tastes. At least from what I expect from Beck.

Probably just me.
No, I agree. When listening to it (and this may be recency bias) but I compared it to the jump that Portugal. The Man made from Evil Friends to Woodstock. Although comparatively I think PTM's is better than Beck's.

But you have just come to expect a certain (for lack of a bettter phrase) something more, every time you listen to a Beck song. And when he goes straight pop-py, it leaves you waiting like "alright this is pretty good, but when are we gonna get to the Beck".

I still enjoyed the album, but certainly not my favorite Beck album.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
She was at 80/35 a few years back with David Byrne when they did an album together. Really bummed I missed that one.

I have missed 80/35 every freaking year, and it bums me out. I REALLY wanted to see Charles Bradley this year, and am so sad now that he's passed that I didn't. Now I really wish I'd seen her here!

Good album.

Probably just me.

I love "Dreams," but it's definitely a bit on the commercial side for Beck. "Wow" obviously has also been out for a while, and has had some success - but is much more Beck-level randomness. I'd definitely agree that the new content (including the stuff from the last several weeks) on the album skews a little more commercial - I think it's maybe just one of his cycles. I think (and have no proof of this) that Beck is sort of driven by his whims, and I think this is just what his current mood is?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I love "Dreams," but it's definitely a bit on the commercial side for Beck. "Wow" obviously has also been out for a while, and has had some success - but is much more Beck-level randomness. I'd definitely agree that the new content (including the stuff from the last several weeks) on the album skews a little more commercial - I think it's maybe just one of his cycles. I think (and have no proof of this) that Beck is sort of driven by his whims, and I think this is just what his current mood is?

Good point. And I think Beck will achieve commercial and critical success with Colors. I really do. Wow seems like the most Beckish tune on the album for sure. And I enjoy it.

I actually just listened to Mellow Gold the other day while working. It's crazy to compare the two albums. Doesn't seem like the same dude who sang Soul Suckin' Jerk would be singing Seventh Heaven.

Both good albums, just so different. And I honestly like both for different reasons.

• Winner