Gordon Hayward Injury (with picture)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We've all seen these types of injuries before on TV or on social media. The reason I am posting this is I experienced something very similar to this, except when I looked down my foot was almost 75 degrees to my leg. To me honest, there was very little pain, I just rolled onto my side and watched my foot slowly kinda go back to it's normal position. My first reaction was "this is gonna be an ER visit"!! I fell about 10 feet and landed on something with my right foot. I found out after sitting in ER for about 4 hours of which when I got there the on call Dr. goes "Well get this casted up and get you out of here."

Well needless to say after x-rays, hearing nothing for anyone for 3 of those hours, it was like "well, you have a very serious injury and they lost count of bone fragments after 50 with some just pulverized. It was like a bomb went off in my ankle." Tibia and fibula were fine.

I can walk today without pain. I have no inward or outward movement of my foot, so instead of spraining my ankle it more than likely would break. Just can't jog, play basketball, ski (water and snow) or treadmill types of activities. Shout out to the doctors and nurses for all they did. Have had a few surgeries on it, but I really have had no pain from the injury itself after it happened. Sure adrenaline probably kicked in, but even after surgery, the morphine made me feel bad, so just some Tylenol was about all I had, along with some sleeping pills.

Capture58.JPG

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I spent a few years growing up in Salt Lake city, and my dad took me to some games. I'm still a Jazz fan because of that. When I first heard that Gordon was injured last night, I'm ashamed to admit that my first thought was "well, serves him right." I'm pretty bitter that he left, right when we were building something again.

Then I watched the play. Ugh. As I said-- ashamed.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'd say ankles aren't supposed to bend that way but I'm not a doctor so what do I know?

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
We've all seen these types of injuries before on TV or on social media. The reason I am posting this is I experienced something very similar to this, except when I looked down my foot was almost 75 degrees to my leg. To me honest, there was very little pain, I just rolled onto my side and watched my foot slowly kinda go back to it's normal position. My first reaction was "this is gonna be an ER visit"!! I fell about 10 feet and landed on something with my right foot. I found out after sitting in ER for about 4 hours of which when I got there the on call Dr. goes "Well get this casted up and get you out of here."

Well needless to say after x-rays, hearing nothing for anyone for 3 of those hours, it was like "well, you have a very serious injury and they lost count of bone fragments after 50 with some just pulverized. It was like a bomb went off in my ankle." Tibia and fibula were fine.

I can walk today without pain. I have no inward or outward movement of my foot, so instead of spraining my ankle it more than likely would break. Just can't jog, play basketball, ski (water and snow) or treadmill types of activities. Shout out to the doctors and nurses for all they did. Have had a few surgeries on it, but I really have had no pain from the injury itself after it happened. Sure adrenaline probably kicked in, but even after surgery, the morphine made me feel bad, so just some Tylenol was about all I had, along with some sleeping pills.

That was bad to watch last night. Hope his career isn't derailed.

Bummer. You sitting there with that many bone fragments sounds dangerous or border line negligent. I was always under the impression that with the really bad breaks they worry about internal bleeding and the fragments screwing your **** up worse. I'm surprised you can't snow ski, as you don't really have any side to side movement in the boots.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I was amazed at how calm Hayward was after the injury. He had to have been in shock or he's just the calmest person on planet earth. I think I would've freaked the **** out.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Injuries like this is why I retired from rec league basketball this year.