ISU 5 Point Underdog @ TX Tech

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think Lanning will get a lot of carries at QB to control the ball.

Getting a pass rush with 3 or 4 will be key. We will want to continue to play our "conservative" defense in the secondary to make TTU have long drives to score TDs - quick scores on 2-5 play drives can kill a team.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I see pass rush and the D-backs to be key here...can't give Shimonek 10 seconds to pick out one of their speedy receivers. This and sustaining drives and keeping Tech off the field.

Tech runs a quick release offense, so pass rush is pretty overrated. I wouldn't expect to see us bring much pressure via the blitz either. We will be dropping 8 guys all day long and trying to take away the passing lanes.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I expect to see a lot of Lanning at QB. IIRC he had about 50 rushing TD's against them last year.
You'd have to imagine TT would be gearing to stop that, and with our poor run blocking, will do so. Hopefully Lanning's arm isn't too rusty.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Tech runs a quick release offense, so pass rush is pretty overrated. I wouldn't expect to see us bring much pressure via the blitz either. We will be dropping 8 guys all day long and trying to take away the passing lanes.
They also tend to be appreciably better at hitting the underneath and short passes we schematically encourage.

Here is to tackling well and getting some breaks.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They also tend to be appreciably better at hitting the underneath and short passes we schematically encourage.

Here is to tackling well and getting some breaks.

I agree. Scheme wise this is why I think we need to minimize the blitz or Tech will exploit the holes. I would really like to see our corners up on the line of scrimmage and not give the Tech receivers a free release, this at least throws the timing off. Tackling in the open field is a must or Tech will bust some long plays.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Start Barnett and run him a lot.

They'll never see it coming.

Not sure if the line indicates respect for ISU, uncertainty for TT, or both.

Iowa State has a decent analytics profile that could be giving us a boost.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Read something interesting about Tech a while back from an anonymous opposing coach. Said that based on Tech's offensive style, the defense in practice doesn't get enough reps vs traditional run games/run blocking. Might explain why Chris Williams would refer to them in the past as the "Texas Tech stick of warm butter run defense".

• Informative
Reactions: ViktorLuzor

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I agree. Scheme wise this is why I think we need to minimize the blitz or Tech will exploit the holes. I would really like to see our corners up on the line of scrimmage and not give the Tech receivers a free release, this at least throws the timing off. Tackling in the open field is a must or Tech will bust some long plays.
It will be a good thing if we can blitz as little (not at all?) as we did against KU. Teams not stopping offenses like TT can get desperate, but if you're bringing pressure when expected they REALLY have you. Agree, besides tackling and TT having a poor game, the two things I hope to see are physically throwing TT off its timing and the pass rushers getting their hands up. We're not very long though.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
A true test, we'll come away with a better read on this team Saturday.

I agree. Oklahoma was an anomaly. This is going to be a really tough test for our team and will take arguably our best performance of the season.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I agree. Oklahoma was an anomaly. This is going to be a really tough test for our team and will take arguably our best performance of the season.
I don't think we win this weekend, but OU wasn't an anomaly. UT was the anomaly. We didn't really play past our standard, nor did OU's defense.
If we play to our abilities we'll win a lot of games, and if that's coupled with the opponent not playing to theirs we'll win most.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

cyattack69

Oct 5, 2017
If you remember last year we flushed Mahomes out of the pocket and he couldnt find rhythm. I cant remember if we did that via blitz or just up front pressure, regardless we need to do that again. Their QB now is pretty much a pocket qb, and doesnt like to move around and throw on the run. If you look at WVU game, WVU D came alive in the 4th and made him move around, and he sucked. If we do what we did to Mahomes last year to their current, inferior qb, we have a good shot of winning.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I don't think we win this weekend, but OU wasn't an anomaly. UT was the anomaly. We didn't really play past our standard, nor did OU's defense.
If we play to our abilities we'll win a lot of games, and if that's coupled with the opponent not playing to theirs we'll win most.
I agree with everything you said except that we do not win this weekend. Momentum is a hard thing to stop and we've got the rock moving. All aboard!!!

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
A quick comparison of TT's defensive stats, all of last year and this year to date. Reasonable assumption: better at stopping the run, pass D is about the same. Lazard and Butler had better keep those hands wide open, IMO.

sstats.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

Do you think we are better than Oklahoma or just on that day?

I think Oklahoma still wins 10-12 games and is a top 10 team. Winning there was not expected, despite the two games offensive scoring output.

Texas and Texas Tech are very even with us. Any type of game that is won by more than 7-10 one way or another will be unexpected.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Do you think we are better than Oklahoma or just on that day?

I think Oklahoma still wins 10-12 games and is a top 10 team. Winning there was not expected, despite the two games offensive scoring output.

Texas and Texas Tech are very even with us. Any type of game that is won by more than 7-10 one way or another will be unexpected.
Was it an upset? Sure. An anomaly? Almost every team has games by playing a good game and the opposition playing below there's. So if you want to say there are hundreds of anomalies each year, sure