COLUMN: Five takeaways from basketball media day

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Would it be accurate to say the top 7 of the rotation right now would be:

1. Donovan
2. Lindell
3. Babb
4. Talley
5. Young
6. Lard
7. Lewis

With the 8/9/10 being (in no order)
Jakolby
Brase
Beverly?

Or is too soon to really know?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Excited about the team...different from last year in that obviously we knew what the players last year would bring...enjoy the ride as the team develops and claims its identity.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
My biggest takeaway from that article:

Prohm can't recruit.
Everybody say it with me now (like you mean it).

Maybe we should add:
Prohm can't coach this team to the sweet 16.

I know for a fact that the “Prohm can’t recruit” garbage fueled him on the recruiting trail late this summer.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Good Lord -

"How badly did this young man want to extend his basketball career? Talley took 27 credit hours this summer to qualify to play immediately at Iowa State! Twenty seven!"

I had a hard time handling 27 credits in an entire year.

I have so many questions as to how that's possible, but I don't think I'd want to know the answers.

Reactions: jcyclonee

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
My biggest takeaway from that article:

Prohm can't recruit.
Everybody say it with me now (like you mean it).

Maybe we should add:
Prohm can't coach this team to the sweet 16.

Agreed, there is no way he can coach this team to a Sweet 16. It’s impossible.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Quoting CW:

"My guess though is that compared to Monte, he won’t be as secure with the basketball either."

Duh. This could be said about . . . every other point guard ever to play college basketball!

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Just listened to CyInsider podcast and just had to tweet at CW..sorry CW but Tally will not avg 6ppg..no way. Prohm has singled Tally out almost exclusively in the last 3-4 interviews..Tally will start and Prohm has said he’s an excellent scorer.

One thing you guys on podcast seem to miss probably is that..1- yes this team will not avg 80ppg, 2- this team will be a 10x better defensive team..DJack, Babb are all very good defenders..Tally by all accounts is a excellent defender with long arms...Lard and Young on the inside will be far better defensive duo around the rim than anythign close to what we had last year.

3- This team will be very good rebounding team..And I havent even mentioned Brase and his toughness insdie and rebounding.

All this doesnt mean we are going to win the big 12 but there are 2 sides to basketball..Offense and defense. Prohm focuses a lot on D and i think this roster will have plenty of talent to keep scoring down.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Just listened to CyInsider podcast and just had to tweet at CW..sorry CW but Tally will not avg 6ppg..no way. Prohm has singled Tally out almost exclusively in the last 3-4 interviews..Tally will start and Prohm has said he’s an excellent scorer.

One thing you guys on podcast seem to miss probably is that..1- yes this team will not avg 80ppg, 2- this team will be a 10x better defensive team..DJack, Babb are all very good defenders..Tally by all accounts is a excellent defender with long arms...Lard and Young on the inside will be far better defensive duo around the rim than anythign close to what we had last year.

3- This team will be very good rebounding team..And I havent even mentioned Brase and his toughness insdie and rebounding.

All this doesnt mean we are going to win the big 12 but there are 2 sides to basketball..Offense and defense. Prohm focuses a lot on D and i think this roster will have plenty of talent to keep scoring down.

Yeah, if Talley is averaging only 6ppg this team will be very bad. From everything Prohm has indicated, Talley is going to be good for ISU. He will average double figures.

I wouldn't count them out for averaging 80.

I think this team could be better defensively and rebounding wise too. And those two things could help get to the 80 pts a game by creating TOs and getting out on breaks off of rebounds. They will also get to the free throw line more this year.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't think the media is taking Prohm's coaching into account when looking at the season projection. This is a guy who has a almost 75% winning percentage as a head coach, has never had a losing season, has always had at least 20 wins, never had a losing conference record, etc. etc. He knows how to win.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Yeah, if Talley is averaging only 6ppg this team will be very bad. From everything Prohm has indicated, Talley is going to be good for ISU. He will average double figures.

I wouldn't count them out for averaging 80.

I think this team could be better defensively and rebounding wise too. And those two things could help get to the 80 pts a game by creating TOs and getting out on breaks off of rebounds. They will also get to the free throw line more this year.

Yeah, it's too early to think about averaging 80 but those are good points - it sounds like Talley and Lard can really run the court. We should rebound better this year. And Wiggington, Jackson and Weiler-Babb should create some steals so, while this team won't have as strong of a half-court O as the last few years, I could see ISU getting some decent scoring in transition.

Production from beyond the arc is very much an open question for this year (unlike in past years when Matt and Naz were returning). We could see some big off-season improvement from someone - and let's hope his initials are NWB. We know DJ can shoot and will play a lot of minutes. If 3-pt production by Lewis, Brase or Wigginton surpasses expectations, the half-court offense might be more competitive than I would have projected.

It's going to be fun. I'm keeping expectations low but there are some interesting players on this team; getting Talley seems like it could be a steal.