MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
do we though? I mean, obviously Bryant and Rizzo are good hitters that are just struggling right now. Maybe Contreras as well. The rest of them? I think you can make a very good case that we've overrated them, some of them substantially so.

Like who? Baez is serviceable. Addy and Heyward aren't exactly top notch hitters. I think the only one we can say we overrated is Schwarber. And he has just over a year as a full-time major leaguer. But I do think we need to acquire someone that can hit for average. No one hit over .300 this year. Bryant was closest but the Cubs didn't have a single guy in the Top 30 in batting average and only 2 in the Top 70. We need someone to flatten out the "homerun or bust" tendencies of this team.

Also, there is a reason there are no baseball dynasties over the last decade or two - it's difficult to maintain. As frustrated as I am with the Cubs this postseason, making 3 straight NLCS is an accomplishment. But they definitely have some gaps to fill.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
1) Every team in baseball is flawed and will be trying to make their team better next year (assuming they are trying to contend)
2) The Cubs have won more playoff games in the last 3 years than they did in the previous 90 years combined, this core of guys is special
3) Take a look at the Dodgers if you think crapping out in the NLCS year after year spells doom and gloom. They have been in the NLCS 5 times since 2008. It is really hard to get to the World Series and it takes a little luck as well.
4) Theo could have made moves to make this year's team better while sacrificing the talent on future rosters. He didn't because he understands it helps keep the championship contending window open. I'm thankful for that.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
1) Every team in baseball is flawed and will be trying to make their team better next year (assuming they are trying to contend)
2) The Cubs have won more playoff games in the last 3 years than they did in the previous 90 years combined, this core of guys is special
3) Take a look at the Dodgers if you think crapping out in the NLCS year after year spells doom and gloom. They have been in the NLCS 5 times since 2008. It is really hard to get to the World Series and it takes a little luck as well.
4) Theo could have made moves to make this year's team better while sacrificing the talent on future rosters. He didn't because he understands it helps keep the championship contending window open. I'm thankful for that.

Agree overall, but not sure how you can make point number 4 he basically cleaned out all the Cubs high level prospects this year to get Quintana and then Wilson/Avila from Detroit.

• Agree

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion. But when I am watching games with my 11-year-old son, I know which players I am hoping he is wanting to emulate. And Puig isn't one of them. Most players are all about the game, their teammates, and respecting the other team. That's my definition of professional.

But your 11 year old had to like this, right? ;)

101717_gif_puig_tongue_med.gif

• Funny
Reactions: HoustonClone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I wouldn't drastically overhaul this roster, and I'd keep in mind how many of these guys had injury struggles this year, compared to virtually no injuries last year. Russell, Contreras, Bryant, Heyward, Lester, Hendricks, and probably more had some injuries. Next year won't be quite so drastic a health issue.

A more consistent hitter than Heyward sounds like a good plan, but he was generally better before the injury. He needs something in his approach to avoid that predictable grounder to 2nd with anyone on base.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
In Quintana he got a guy under a very team friendly contract that will be a part of the rotation for the next several years. That move was just as much about future teams as it was this year.

In Wilson, I think he thought he had a chance at getting next year's closer although that seems like a long shot now. That was also a deal for Candelario who isn't seeing any time at third base in the near future.

• Agree

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I wouldn't drastically overhaul this roster, and I'd keep in mind how many of these guys had injury struggles this year, compared to virtually no injuries last year. Russell, Contreras, Bryant, Heyward, Lester, Hendricks, and probably more had some injuries. Next year won't be quite so drastic a health issue.

A more consistent hitter than Heyward sounds like a good plan, but he was generally better before the injury. He needs something in his approach to avoid that predictable grounder to 2nd with anyone on base.

Really just giving up on Heyward being a starter would be a good start. Ian Happ can play 2B and CF, with more experience I have no doubt he can become a very good RF, plus his bat is already a huge upgrade over Heyward's and will only get better.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Outfield seems to be the spot there is a place to find a way to acquire a leadoff hitter who could potentially bat .300 I don't think this team needs to be dismantled but like someone said we do need to balance out the lineup by sprinkling in a player or 2 who makes good contact and gets on base a lot instead of this all or nothing mentality most of the guys have. Some of these young guys also need to work on their approach at the plate in the offseason as there have been a lot of bad swing and miss strikeouts on pitches they need to lay off of. Javy in particular you could throw 3 balls outside in the dirt and get him to swing and miss on all 3 they way he is struggling right now.

The pitching staff is going to need to fill in some holes too, we likely will lose Arietta and Lackey so that Quintana deal helped cushion that blow a bit but still may need 1 or 2 starters depending on what you do with Monty. Davis probably will cost too much to retain and there isn't a guy on the roster right now I'd trust to get 3 outs in the 9th so that is an issue as well as who will be the bridge between the starter and closer because we haven't had that go well in the playoffs so far either.

I'm sure Theo knows that there is about a 2-3 year window with this team right now to get back to the World Series before having to make decisions on who is worth dishing out big money to retain and who they don't have the luxury of keeping around anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Really just giving up on Heyward being a starter would be a good start. Ian Happ can play 2B and CF, with more experience I have no doubt he can become a very good RF, plus his bat is already a huge upgrade over Heyward's and will only get better.

I'm OK with that.
Go with a regular starting infield of Rizzo, Baez, Russell, Bryant, and Contreras.
Get Happ and Almora in the outfield regularly, and that probably makes Schwarber right at home in LF.

Jay can fill in anywhere in the OF, and Zobrist can be a general utility guy like LaStella at this point.

If Heyward can somehow, and I know the deal is difficult, be part of bringing another starter, then that's an excellent move (and probably impossible).

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Read a story today about MLB seriously considering expanding to 32 teams. If that happens, I think the NL goes to the DH, and you see new, more regional divisions.

Pitching as a whole in the MLB is already watered down terribly. In my opinion this will makes the product worse.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I’m sure this will get squashed in 2 hours, but I keep telling myself if we can just get these next two at Home, anything can happen..

Reactions: LindenCy

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Cubs got their run for the night, now the Dodgers will score next inning and we can call it a night.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Whatever the opposite of being squeezed is... that's how this ump is treating Woods. One more reason for robo-umps. Umpires almost always seem to favor one pitcher over the other when you have a righty vs lefty match up.