Paul Shirley: Not Surprisingly continues to be critical of Eustachy.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
When Paul Shirley was playing for us, it's hard to think of an ISU guy whose effort I appreciated more. Since he left, it's hard to think of a guy that comes off as a bigger whiney ass db. We get it...Larry was an a-hole. Guess what? The world is full of them. In his most private moments I would think Paul would have to admit that Larry made him a better bball player. Only he knows if the price he paid was worth it, but he did make some decent money from his skills so it's not like he walked away with nothing.

The horse is dead, Paul, and it has been for close to 20 years. Do us all a favor and move on.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I liked Paul as a player and now. I have no doubt he's saying what will benefit him, and when it's the truth so be it if it hurts some feelings. Is he beating a dead horse or are we just older sports degenerates reading and listening to every ISU post or sound bite?

Reactions: seattleCy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I liked Paul as a player and now. I have no doubt he's saying what will benefit him, and when it's the truth so be it if it hurts some feelings. Is he beating a dead horse or are we just older sports degenerates reading and listening to every ISU post or sound bite?

It feels like he has an axe to grind with Eustachy, and it bothers me that he continues to go public with it without trying to get any resolution. I wish he would either speak to Eustachy privately to clear the air and get some things off his chest or stop constantly bringing it up in an effort to stay relevant and sell books.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
did anybody actually listen to the podcast? shirley was asked about the larry situation. do you expect him to say, 'oh, i'm not going to talk about that because a few people on cyclone fanatic might call me a whiner'.....? same podcast asked seneca wallace if he thought he was 'in' on the touchdown against florida state and nobody was on here telling seneca to get over it. i agree that it seems like shirley may need some closure on this larry stuff but some of you are acting like he's seeking out the spotlight just so he can get some attention and bash larry.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I, obviously, have no idea of the personal dynamic between Paul and Larry. But Paul is a bright, successful person, and I would just venture a guess that some of the things Larry instilled in him played a role in that.

Reactions: Angie and cyfanatic

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Jeez Paul, stop living in the past. Don't you know what really matters to people?

How Woody Hayes' punch screwed over Iowa State Football.
How Donnie Duncan and Jim Criner messed up Iowa State Football.
How awful person Hayden Fry was.
How big of a doucebag Bret Bielema was.
How terrible Missouri was for talking about Grayer's mother.
How bad of an AD, BVD was.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Jeez Paul, stop living in the past. Don't you know what really matters to people?

How Woody Hayes' punch screwed over Iowa State Football.
How Donnie Duncan and Jim Criner messed up Iowa State Football.
How awful person Hayden Fry was.
How big of a doucebag Bret Bielema was.
How terrible Missouri was for talking about Grayer's mother.
How bad of an AD, BVD was.

Anonymous posts on a fan website vs. using a public platform to publicly and repeatedly trash another individual. If Paul Shirley thinks Larry Eustachy is a bad person, fine. Either address it with him man to man so you can move on or just don't comment on it.

Reactions: cyfanatic

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Anonymous posts on a fan website vs. using a public platform to publicly and repeatedly trash another individual. If Paul Shirley thinks Larry Eustachy is a bad person, fine. Either address it with him man to man so you can move on or just don't comment on it.

Or apparently he can come on cyclone fanatic and publically trash him anonymously.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
did anybody actually listen to the podcast? shirley was asked about the larry situation. do you expect him to say, 'oh, i'm not going to talk about that because a few people on cyclone fanatic might call me a whiner'.....? same podcast asked seneca wallace if he thought he was 'in' on the touchdown against florida state and nobody was on here telling seneca to get over it. i agree that it seems like shirley may need some closure on this larry stuff but some of you are acting like he's seeking out the spotlight just so he can get some attention and bash larry.

Has Seneca written and published articles about whether or not he was in?

Plenty of players have said that LE was tough on the team and demanded a lot, but from what I've read most are appreciative of where it got the team and themselves individually.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Or apparently he can come on cyclone fanatic and publically trash him anonymously.

OK. Welcome to the internet. Like most of the posts on any of these boards, who cares? It's random opinions that nobody takes seriously, or at least shouldn't. You're not going to see blogs and links to anything posted here. But when a player continues to go after a former coach fully knowing that it's going to get attention when he does, it makes me question his motive. If he's really that hung up on it then why doesn't he address it directly with Eustachy so he can get it off his chest and move on?

Reactions: cyfanatic

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
From talking with a number of friends that played for Larry I think the main problem most have isn't that he was a hard a$$ or he was cruel. It was that he was completely selfish in doing so. I have played for tough coaches but normally at some point you could see the method to that madness, or there were the repairing moments as well as the tearing down. With Larry it was all tear down, no repair. I don't fault Paul one bit for talking about his college experiences. Most of the time he is being asked about it and knowing Paul he isn't one to sugar coat things. He's a straight shooter and that's what makes him a great story teller now.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
When do you see Shirley in the news? About every six months when he brings up Eustachy. It's all that moves his professional needle.

Or saying horrific things about Haiti.

Some people freak the **** out if you dare call Paul a whiner on CycloneFanatic. I don't even much like Larry, I think he was most likely a bad person at a personal level back then and was not a good ambassador for the school - but Paul is a sensationalist whiner who is just looking to get his name in the press every time he brings it up, and to beat a dead horse. Let's totally disregard that Larry and ISU gave him his career.

His "discussion" of the alumni event that he wrote for the Trib this summer started off okay, but then devolved into, like, five paragraphs of complaining about LE. That's cool - but you were given a forum to discuss the alumni event as an alumnus. Nobody was trying to pump him for Larry info there - he just can't help himself.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It feels like he has an axe to grind with Eustachy, and it bothers me that he continues to go public with it without trying to get any resolution. I wish he would either speak to Eustachy privately to clear the air and get some things off his chest or stop constantly bringing it up in an effort to stay relevant and sell books.
Grow up. Someone asks Paul about a topic and he responds honestly. I'm sorry that his response paints a negative image of a former coach of your favorite team, but Paul is a little more invested in it than you. So what if he utilizes repeatedly stating how bad things were behind the scenes to sell himself, as long as it's true? Would you feel the same if he repeatedly gave glowing reports? Of course not, so just plug your ears if a little negative bothers you so. This is a you problem.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
this is paul shirley we're talking about. nobody outside of iowa state fans even know who paul shirley is. based on some of these responses, you would think he was all over the news and his articles were everywhere you turn. there are more articles out there every hour about the kardashians being pregnant than there are total articles in which shirley mentions eustachy. if you're 'constantly' reading about paul shirley, you're seeking it out because there's not much out there.