MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Maddon will pitch him again tomorrow in a high leverage situation. Guaranteed.

I'll go as far as saying Edwards is a key part of our future pen, and will grow from these experiences, but there's no way he's ready for the high leverage situations day in, day out. Just not ready.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
$40 million to find a starting pitcher, 2 relievers, and a consistent corner outfielder.

Dodgers made the right moves at the trade deadline. We only got part way there. I realize getting Verlander may not have been worth what the Tigers were asking, but THAT move would have changed things.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Dodgers made the right moves at the trade deadline. We only got part way there. I realize getting Verlander may not have been worth what the Tigers were asking, but THAT move would have changed things.
We have only scored 4 runs the entire series. Cubs problems isn't starting pitching.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
We have only scored 4 runs the entire series. Cubs problems isn't starting pitching.

It's certainly part of it. Their starters are simply better than ours. Shutting us down. Any margin for error (which comes from our starters being human and our pen being lackluster) is not there against this level of pitching.

• Disagree
Reactions: FerShizzle

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Believe they have close to 70 million coming off the books. Now granted you have to replace Arrieta & probably Wade Davis and then also load up big-time on number of bullpen arms. I'd be fine with a couple changes in line-up as well.

On top of replacing those 2 you also have the following free agents

Lackey
Jay
Uehara
Avila
Duensing
Rivera

Also have a lot of arbitration contracts to make decisions on too: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/chicago-cubs-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

I think the Cubs could be active in the trade market both with pitchers and position players. The way this team has hit so inconsistently this year plus the lack of hitting in the postseason a trade for a big middle of the lineup bat is not out of the question. The window with the core players on this team is about another 2-3 years till they will have to make some tough decisions on who to sign to big contracts and who will have to walk.

• Informative
Reactions: HoustonClone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

The offense has been downright pathetic this post season. Pretty sure we have only had three games this offseason where we have manufactured runs.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006

So who do you think the problem is then? Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras, Russsell, Javy, Jay? Zobrist has not hit for much this year, and Kyle is extremely inconsistent, but I'm not concerned for our hitting moving forward.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It takes a lot to embarrass me when it comes to the teams I root for. This is downright embarrassing. I was less embarrassed when ISU lost to UAB.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
It takes a lot to embarrass me when it comes to the teams I root for. This is downright embarrassing. I was less embarrassed when ISU lost to UAB.

It does feel that way right now, doesn't it? A comedy of errors (figuratively and literally). The announcers are perplexed, so are we. We're better than the team is playing right now, but we're also playing against perhaps the best team in baseball right now. Dodgers have exceptional pitching, and their clutch hitting is impressive. Painful to watch, but impressive.