Redshirting players

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
CPR loved to redshirt true freshmen and sometimes JUCO's. Campbell is more willing to play kids. Just wanted to see what everyone thought of this.

Last year we saw some great things from true freshmen like Deshaunte Jones and David Montgomery. But there were other freshmen that barely played/contributed, such as Jamahl Johnson (sp?). I didn't think much of it last year, but this year there are a number of kids who have played but have not really contributed. Johnny Lang is the perfect example. He is the #4 RB and has only played in one game I think. There are others who have barely played, and it makes me wonder why. I know at some positions it's a matter of not having enough depth, but I don't see the point in wasting a year of eligibility on a kid that is not going to see meaningful snaps? I'm not criticizing, just trying to figure it out.

Matt Leo is another head scratcher. He has a redshirt available and with his size and athleticism, I thought he should redshirt and take a year to learn the game of football better. Imagine working with him for an entire year and then getting two years of total domination. Did age have anything to do with this decision? I think he's already in his mid 20's if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, curious to hear some thoughts and maybe debate this topic a bit.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
When there is no depth in a program the best players play. There are 6(hopefully+) games left I would not rule out more PT for everyone you mentioned above as the season roles on. Also there are talks of changing the redshirt rule to allow PT in the first 4 games which would allow for Lang and others to still be redshirt with limited PT

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think when you are confident in your ability to recruit good players, you are not worried about using kids as freshman if they are ready to play and they are needed.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and Doc

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I hope Leo is redshirted. Surprisingly we don't have a huge need for him this year. You can attribute that to playing a lot of 3-4 which is a good thing

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Actually I think our current staff is more willing to red shirt players(particularly Offensive lineman )

Last edited:

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
I think if a kid is good enough to play and will make a difference as a true frosh, then you play them. Personally, I think unless you absolutely need them I would red shirt all offensive linemen.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The cupboard was bare, this isn't as much of a philosophy difference as a necessity. With graduation and players leaving the program didn't they lose like 40 kids in the coaching transition? CMC is doing what he has to do to get by.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I was sad we burned Hummel's redshirt for akron and he played again against KU in garbage time.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Actually I think our current staff is more willing to red shirt players(particularly Offensive lineman )
I don't know about that. I think the new staff will play the best players regardless of their age/class.

As for offensive lineman, I don't think the old staff played any true freshmen on the OL either.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think if a kid is good enough to play and will make a difference as a true frosh, then you play them. Personally, I think unless you absolutely need them I would red shirt all offensive linemen.

I think everyone agrees with this. The question is how much of a difference has Johnnie Lang or Hummel made this year and was the red shirt burn worth it for guys like that? At this point I'd say no.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
I think everyone agrees with this. The question is how much of a difference has Johnnie Lang or Hummel made this year and was the red shirt burn worth it for guys like that? At this point I'd say no.
They haven't made any difference and I would agree and say they shouldn't have burned their red shirts.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

No

CPR loved to redshirt true freshmen and sometimes JUCO's. Campbell is more willing to play kids. Just wanted to see what everyone thought of this.

Last year we saw some great things from true freshmen like Deshaunte Jones and David Montgomery. But there were other freshmen that barely played/contributed, such as Jamahl Johnson (sp?). I didn't think much of it last year, but this year there are a number of kids who have played but have not really contributed. Johnny Lang is the perfect example. He is the #4 RB and has only played in one game I think. There are others who have barely played, and it makes me wonder why. I know at some positions it's a matter of not having enough depth, but I don't see the point in wasting a year of eligibility on a kid that is not going to see meaningful snaps? I'm not criticizing, just trying to figure it out.

Matt Leo is another head scratcher. He has a redshirt available and with his size and athleticism, I thought he should redshirt and take a year to learn the game of football better. Imagine working with him for an entire year and then getting two years of total domination. Did age have anything to do with this decision? I think he's already in his mid 20's if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, curious to hear some thoughts and maybe debate this topic a bit.

I think Lang and Leo with both end up with redshirts. Lang especially since he's been banged up.

Guys like Hummel, who suspect needing next year need to find the field, especially if they can help you on special teams.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
When there is no depth in a program the best players play. There are 6(hopefully+) games left I would not rule out more PT for everyone you mentioned above as the season roles on. Also there are talks of changing the redshirt rule to allow PT in the first 4 games which would allow for Lang and others to still be redshirt with limited PT

They could just as well change it. Everyone's bastardizing it anyway. MSU got a gut on a medical redshirt who was scout team player of the year in that year. You throw guys out there for the first three games and if you don't need them, you say they were banged up. There's no follow through.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think a lot of the first and second string have been playing way better than the coaches have anticipated. Also the defense has been doing a pretty good job of getting off the field.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I'm sure its strategic. If they can continue to up the talent then I don't care.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Another thing not taken into account here is that maybe these guys don't want to take an extra year in college. The players have to want to stick around another year. Also those snaps might not have changed the outcome of the game, but maybe they were meaningful to those kids and result in some teaching material to accelerate their development for future years.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneConer

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I agree with you, but it's subjective. Maybe the coaching staff feels like those players will be needed to contribute next year and reps, even limited ones, will benefit them more than sitting all season.