Keeping Campbell

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Just have him hang out at the gate so everyone can stuff a $5 bill in his pocket.
Should be enough to keep him happy.
On a similar note, do any coaches ever get essentially equity in their contract, as in upside from future gate? It's somewhat there with the performance based bonus, and I guess at the mints of college football the AD has the cash on hand. Although there's potentially more to gain for the coaches, why risk betting on yourself when you could lock in a very good payday.

But if you're limited in current resources looking to retain a coach that appears primed to take your athletic department and overall university's brand to a new revenue level, why not try? Of course, I'm a big believer that ISU is a still a buy low, sell high situation. There's still a lot of growth we get further away from the time of Iowa State College with decades of apathy towards athletics, to a program at a 35k state university with a large fan base that prioritizes ISU athletics. If a coach had even 5-7 years of success the returns would be significant.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Campbell is 10 times the coach Rhodes was

10 times is more than a bit of an exaggeration, but the point is spot on.

I think the thing about Campbell is he is very structured, and very consistent. He knows exactly what he wants to do and how to do it. The big issue he had his first year was getting everyone to buy into his "process". At this point most of the players understand what is expected of them both on and off the field, and most understand that he knows what he is doing, because they can see the success. He also has some great senior leaders on this team that have suffered through the sorta doing it right years and seen the results.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You could see a radically right that and but when our attendance is what is how do you call the increase. Were at 55000 or so a game so do those extra 6000 really make a difference? With his bonus be based on the 6000 are the 61500?
Well, I remember when 61500 wasn't possible, so I'd say you're thinking small. Further, there's a lot more to offering pseudo-equity due to anticipated success than number of seats.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
We've had a lot of assistant coaches come out of Iowa State and go on to great things, Head coaches coming out of Iowa State with the exception of Johnny Majors and Earle Bruce haven't set the world on fire. If I was a school looking at ISU I'd be looking at Campbell's assistants because many of our past assistants have found great success. Let's pay these guys to stay and develop a succession plan that takes us into the future.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If CMC would leave for Illinois or Purdue let's just hang it up now. Retire the program.

Would U feel the same way if it were Nebraska....I hear thru the grapevine that the Big Red are looking for a new football coach, since Mr Bland cant seem to Win in Lincoln.......

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Iowa fans still think Iowa State is a $10 mil per year athletics program. Times have changed for the better for Iowa State and money won;'t be the reason CMC leaves. It's already been stated and there is probably only one job that can pull CMC away. There are a lot of ways that JP can find additional dollars to pay CMC and his staff and fans will be a big part of that.

Just one? I think there is a few that could as stated in other forums. I am most worried about Notre Dame, Michigan State, or Michigan if they open up in next couple of years.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
If CMC sustains winning seasons for 3-4 years at Iowa State the big schools will come calling. If Urban decides he's done for whatever reason this time, ISU will not be able to outbid OSU. It will come down to whether CMC wants to stay or not. If he goes, then thank him for turning the program around and try to hold on to one of his assistant coaches as a replacement.

Until then, stop worrying about what could happen down the road and enjoy the ride.

When CMC leaves, hire the whole Toledo staff. This is not a hard concept!

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Well, I remember when 61500 wasn't possible, so I'd say you're thinking small. Further, there's a lot more to offering pseudo-equity due to anticipated success than number of seats.

So I voice-to-text'd that and it didn't work. Thought I deleted it but must have hit enter.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I have no idea when. What group am I in? No one wants me other than my dog and cat and as matter of fact, I'm old and not doing much of anything.

You're welcome to join my group who believes Matt Campbell will be successful and stays at Iowa State until decides to call it quits! It's got to be in the last chapter of 'The Process'.

Aug 26, 2014
Would U feel the same way if it were Nebraska....I hear thru the grapevine that the Big Red are looking for a new football coach, since Mr Bland cant seem to Win in Lincoln.......
There is 0 chance CMC would ever got to Nebraska for any amount of money.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I agree - premature talk when we have a long ways to go to even be consistently on the fringes of bowl eligibility, let alone have a coach bolt for Ohio State. However, wishful thinking is pretty much the entire business basis for creating a sports message board:)

I will say to those that think our buyout is incredible - remember that these big schools routinely pay 10 or 20 million in buyouts just to get rid of a coach (not to mention 5-10 million in assistant salaries), another 3-6 mil to get the right coach isn't a tough hurdle.

I think we've got CMC for a good while so long as the improvement on the field continues and the compensation and bonuses respectably reward it. I'm getting to the age (35 years of Cyclone fanaticism) where I'm just starting to enjoy good things rather than constantly worrying it's going to end tomorrow. Probably the hardest life lesson.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Those talking about a big school balking at a 4-5 mil buyout...Notre Dame bought out the Charlie Weis contract for 18.97 million dollars. They paid a man 18.97 million dollars to NOT coach their team anymore and Kansas chipped in another 5.4 million when they also fired Weis.

If a team will pay a coach 18.97 mil to go away, they will buyout a contract of a coach they want.

I'm in the group that half way believes CMC stays for the long haul in Ames, but nothing is ever certain, including staying or leaving.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah