On to Football Season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
ISU will play 3 ranked teams this year. Only OU, TCU and Oklahoma St will be ranked. Iowa will play 3 ranked teams as well, OSU, Penn St, and Wisconsin.

Iowa and ISU SOS will once again be similar just like the previous 4 years.

SOS rankings.

2016: Iowa 44, ISU 49
2015: ISU 39, Iowa 51
2014: ISU 52, Iowa 59
2013: Iowa 38, ISU 45

Iowa average 48
ISU average 46

Those SOS rankings are not Sagarin so they don't carry much weight

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
ISU will play 3 ranked teams this year. Only OU, TCU and Oklahoma St will be ranked. Iowa will play 3 ranked teams as well, OSU, Penn St, and Wisconsin.

SOS rankings.

Iowa average 48
ISU average 46

WVU says hi

• Winner
Reactions: GTO

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

SOS rankings.

Iowa average 48
ISU average 46

Who have the 3 teams that Iowa will play beaten? OU manhandled tOSU and TCU has a win over top 10 Okie St and #23 WV. Wisconsin may not play a single top 25 team, Michigan is the only shot,as of now their best win is Nebraska....Ohio St's best win is Maryland and Penn St's best win was the Hawks. You've got 3 top 10 who haven't beaten anyone. Tough to see why they keep moving up in the rankings but that's the b1g way. The name on the jersey matters more than who you beat.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Who have the 3 teams that Iowa will play beaten? OU manhandled tOSU and TCU has a win over top 10 Okie St and #23 WV. Wisconsin may not play a single top 25 team, Michigan is the only shot,as of now their best win is Nebraska....Ohio St's best win is Maryland and Penn St's best win was the Hawks. You've got 3 top 10 who haven't beaten anyone. Tough to see why they keep moving up in the rankings but that's the b1g way. The name on the jersey matters more than who you beat.
mic-dropstephen-colbert.gif

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017

Nice try. The Big12 is the weakest P5 conference according to the Massey composite rankings. You can try to cherry pick however you want, but you can’t get around that fact.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Sagarin SOS Rankings:

Iowa: 37
ISU: 46
PSU: 51

In summary, ISU's SOS is closer to PSU's than it is to Iowa's.
So Iowa's SOS is being buoyed by having North Texas & Wyoming & the # will likely increase as it goes through it's conference regular season schedule? Interesting.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
OK, a real no BS question then:
Why didn't you respond to the ISU 3/4 tickets part?
Why did Gary Barta get a ton of letters from fans saying they want Kirk fired, and then in the upcoming year coach was dubbed "New Kirk?"

I honestly think Iowa is a good program. But I also know they won't leave the State for noncons, there is only about 1 overachieving game a year played in the last decade.
The playoff hunt(s) is hunt as in singular. Iowa didn't have to play Michigan, MS, Penn St, or Ohio State that year in the regular season. I'll give it to you, they plays MS hard in the Champ game for one of the most boring games I've ever seen. No need to bring up Stanford.
@HawkeyeMashup any chance you want to respond to some questions I had?

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
So Iowa's SOS is being buoyed by having North Texas & Wyoming & the # will likely increase as it goes through it's conference regular season schedule? Interesting.

What? Those are the 2nd and 3rd worst teams we have played. That would be like saying ISU SOS is buoyed by UNI and Akron.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Sure I'll find it in the morning. What about the rest of my post after the first question?

Why did KF get mail about firing KF? Because there are a lot of idiot fans out there. ISU fans wanted Pollard to lock Rhoads up because he was the Super star who was gonna slay Iowa and take ISU to the promise land. Fast forward 3-5 years and Clone fans talk about Rhoads like he was the worst coach ever to walk the planet.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Why did KF get mail about firing KF? Because there are a lot of idiot fans out there. ISU fans wanted Pollard to lock Rhoads up because he was the Super star who was gonna slay Iowa and take ISU to the promise land. Fast forward 3-5 years and Clone fans talk about Rhoads like he was the worst coach ever to walk the planet.

Rhoads was a terrible recruiter and below average game day coach.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
But ISU fans have never claimed to be "Big Time." Iowa fans wanted him fired because he wasn't meeting what his pay warranted. If you take the 5 years before Barta got all those letters, Kirk didn't average a winning Big Ten record. I don't blame Iowa fans. Nebraska fans are delusional for the most part but they would never accept Kirk's results, and they have definitely slid out of Big Time consideration.
Sure, the Rose Bowl year was good. I think that will be an anomaly going forward and think Kirk will go about 7.5-4.5 most years.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
But ISU fans have never claimed to be "Big Time." Iowa fans wanted him fired because he wasn't meeting what his pay warranted. If you take the 5 years before Barta got all those letters, Kirk didn't average a winning Big Ten record. I don't blame Iowa fans. Nebraska fans are delusional for the most part but they would never accept Kirk's results, and they have definitely slid out of Big Time consideration.
Sure, the Rose Bowl year was good. I think that will be an anomaly going forward and think Kirk will go about 7.5-4.5 most years.

You think fans calling for a head coach to be fired is some sort of big deal? Jesus man how long have you followed sports, this has been going on forever.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You think fans calling for a head coach to be fired is some sort of big deal? Jesus man how long have you followed sports, this has been going on forever.
No it's not a big deal, it just goes to show that Iowa isn't big time.
And fans at Iowa weren't just calling. They stopped going to games. Enough of a panic set in for Barta, that he thought about an illegal ticket/tuition promotion until lawyers stepped in. I guess I just don't see those issues at other Big Time schools.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Find my quote and I’ll respond. I’d have to see what the context was when I was making that claim.

Here ya go:

All programs, even the big time programs are feeling the decline in attendance. Heck ISU gives away nearly 75% of their tickets and only sell about 54,000 per game. Iowa is giving away about .7% (less than 1%) of its tickets and will sell about 69,000 per games.

You said ISU gives nearly 3/4 of its tickets.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Here ya go:

You said ISU gives nearly 3/4 of its tickets.

Ok, now I remember. That was in response to the “discounted price” that Iowa offered for like 500 tickets that Clone fans were busting on Iowa about. My point was that Iowa doesn’t discount hardly any tickets at all, end zone is the same Cost as 50 yard line.

ISU tiers the cost of their tickets and only gets the $425 for a season ticket for like 1/4 of the tickets sold and “gives away” or “discounts” 3/4 of their tickets.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Ok, now I remember. That was in response to the “discounted price” that Iowa offered for like 500 tickets that Clone fans were busting on Iowa about. My point was that Iowa doesn’t discount hardly any tickets at all, end zone is the same Cost as 50 yard line.

ISU tiers the cost of their tickets and only gets the $425 for a season ticket for like 1/4 of the tickets sold and “gives away” or “discounts” 3/4 of their tickets.

Discount does not equal give away.

give·a·way
ˈɡivəˌwā/
informal
noun
noun: give-away
  1. 1.
    a thing that is given free, especially for promotional purposes.
    "a preelection tax giveaway"
adjective
adjective: give-away
  1. 1.
    free of charge.
    "giveaway goodies"

Reactions: CyTwins

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Discount does not equal give away.

give·a·way
ˈɡivəˌwā/
informal
noun
noun: give-away
  1. 1.
    a thing that is given free, especially for promotional purposes.
    "a preelection tax giveaway"
adjective
adjective: give-away
  1. 1.
    free of charge.
    "giveaway goodies"

If you want to be a literalist you are on the wrong website. Hyperbole rules here, I’m just trying to fit in.

• Dislike
  • Disagree
Reactions: JP4CY and CyTwins

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron