Will we win another game this year without Park starting?

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Not sure. If the staff continues to push the right buttons and get the team to improve and step up in Park's absence, most likely. Having teams fail to make adjustments like OU (thanks, Mike) and play poorly like KU would go along ways, too.

Few teams are completely in control of their remaining games. In other words, I hope we have our bad day(s) for when our opponent is having a great day. If we have our good games for when the opponent has a poor game we can beat anyone.

You hope if we have a bad day the other has a great day? WTF?

• Informative
Reactions: armount

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You hope if we have a bad day the other has a great day? WTF?

The idea is that we’d rather have our great games when teams aren’t great. If OSU has a great game, they probably win even if we are good.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The idea is that we’d rather have our great games when teams aren’t great. If OSU has a great game, they probably win even if we are good.

Call me crazy but I would like to think that the other team may be part of the reason OSU or any other team doesn't have a great day.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Last I counted there are 11 men on the offense, you game plan against what they can do as a unit. In game planning you are trying to throw wrinkles that cause the opponent to not be able to execute their plays. If we had executed against Texas we would have won. Instead we had 17 errant throws, a handful of sacks, and some dropped balls. Hopefully, park comes back able to execute but right now the unit seems to be able to execute well enough to beat a highly ranked opponent on their home turf. I like our chances in every game!

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I would love that. I’m not rooting against him.

There are some posters, not saying you, that continually repeat the line about teams will figure him out. Kempt can be successful doing the little things really well.

• Agree

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Zeb getting snaps isn't necessarily a three QB system and when you're rotating in your starting middle LB to in order to get things done on offense, using your number two QB isn't that far off.

We're already going to use three QBs on the year. The having a single "guy" is out, and the "if you don't have one, you don't have any" is largely a myth anyways.
Actually, we've already used four... ;)

That may be a record even for ISU.

• Funny

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
Kempt won’t be here next year and Park would be. Everyone should want him back ASAP. Not to mention Park has the higher ceiling/arm ability. Been enjoyable watching kempt but with a couple games on tape, he shouldn’t be too hard to gameplan for.
Brilliant!!! Cuz if Park comes back other teams will prolly forget there is 10x as much tape on him. They'll have to be like Texas and get lucky with their scheme. GGM use some common sense

Last edited:

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I'm pretty confident in saying that Tech will get a fair dose of the Lan Ram at QB, especially if it's effective. I'm calling my shot that Joel hits one of our receivers for 6 on a run pass option play on Saturday.
Sounds like the run-pass option play that George Amundson and Keith Krepfle used to run with great success. Also George was a player that switched positions for a year.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There are some posters, not saying you, that continually repeat the line about teams will figure him out. Kempt can be successful doing the little things really well.

We have enough wrinkles in our offense that will keep teams balanced. Kempt likes to make the easy throw and it's been pretty dang effective. He also throws the horizontal quick hitters to our WR's so that they are catching the ball as they are moving forward. Couple that with our WR's ability to block and those plays have become a really reliable one for our offense to run.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I am hoping they never find a way to stop him, but based on OU having no tape on him and KU defending with 9 in the box in a monsoon there hasn't been a chance for a good DC to limit Kempt. TT appears to be somewhat better on defense this year, so this game could be interesting. I would expect a lot of 9 man fronts to limit Montgomery and horizontal passes. The coaches have done a good job of finding him things that work so far, so I guess we should stop doubting them until it becomes an issue.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'm blown away by the **** people come up with on this board. I know the "Woe is us" mentality is pretty strong with ISU fans, but every day I come here and am still amazed at the posts I see that just emphasize what a sad bunch we can be.

OK, now that I got that off my chest. Why wouldn't we be able to win another game without him? We lost two winnable games with Park and without him, we won a game we should have and won another, against arguably the best team in the Big 12, that no one thought we had a chance in. I see no reason to think we won't win another game.

I like Park as a QB, I like to see him on the field and I certainly wish him the best, a full recovery and a speedy return. That bing said, I remember having this argument with people when Jantz was here though, the whole, "Greater upside" argument. Park does have that I suppose, he can really zip the football for sure, but, he makes a lot of mistakes as well. His "gunslinger" style of play can certainly get us wins when things go right, but when they go wrong, his style of play can be a big minus.

Kempt on the other hand, doesn't make many mistakes, throws a catchable ball and does a nice job of managing a game. I also like Kempt because it seems the coaches realize his limits, they don't send him out there with the idea of having him throw 50 passes a game. They aren't relying on him to be the sole carrier of the weight of the offense. It seems to have made the coaching staff more creative on how we gain yards. Plus, everything I've seen says Kempt throws one hell of a nice deep ball. May not have the zip that Park has, but he certainly puts the ball where it needs to be for our receivers to make a play.

I've finally come to the realization as an ISU fan that there is no reason to look at the negative before it happens. Just let it go and enjoy the game for what it is. We will win or we won't win, but right now, I don't see any reason to think that Kempt isn't capable of playing QB in the Big 12. So far, all he has done is win games. Until he proves me wrong, I'll go ahead an believe in him.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Still sticking with my original 7-5 prediction for the seasons. I think 8-4 is more likely, and yes that's with Kempt starting. He makes better reads than Park. We didn't get to see Kempt against Texas but I'd place money on him making faster decisions than Park did.

As I have said in other threads I hope Park gets better, and I also hope he makes his way back to the team, but if it's drugs, I doubt he's back.