Will we win another game this year without Park starting?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think for teams like Tech and OSU, Park would be the better quarterback as he has a more gunslinger mentality. But for the other games, I think Kempt will be fine.

When you play teams like Tech and OSU I would argue that a gunslinger plays into their favor. The recipe to beat those teams is long sustained methodical drives to keep their offenses on the sideline and throw off their rhythm. Both Tech and OSU would rather play in a track meet.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When you play teams like Tech and OSU I would argue that a gunslinger plays into their favor. The recipe to beat those teams is long sustained methodical drives to keep their offenses on the sideline and throw off their rhythm. Both Tech and OSU would rather play in a track meet.
And their quarterbacks and OCs will start pressing if they feel like their number of possessions is limited by the other team sustaining long, clock eating scoring drives. When they press, they make mistakes. This defense has demonstrated they can capitalize on mistakes.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Yes, I like the Clones against TT, KSU, Baylor. TCU will be really hard. Would not surprise me at all if they beat OSU. WVU seems to play pretty well against ISU, so probably not.

Park is the better QB, when he has his head straight, but Kempt has proven to be more than serviceable so far, and it feels like the other offensive players have rallied around him. Still a lot to be excited about this year.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
It has to do with the fact that arguably every position group other than the secondary will improve next year and if we don’t have Park, likely none of that matters. And Park gives us a better chance to win, not writing him off for one bad performance. I realize he’s going to need time so not suggesting to play him immediately if/when he gets back.

I am rooting for Park. It is not at all clear to me who gives us the best chance to win though. Can park throw it harder and farther. Yep. Can Park direct the offense better, I am not so sure.

One of the stories of ISU footbal for the last too many years is that we might have some 1st team studs but if one of them went down, we had nothing to back them up. Seems like CMC has developed the 'next man in' mentality with enough talent that we can play through the loss of some key people.

I hope Park figures things out personally but I don't think the teams success the remainder of the is dependent on it. The best thing for success next year is continued success this year, regardless of the personnel that get us there.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Kempt won’t be here next year and Park would be. Everyone should want him back ASAP. Not to mention Park has the higher ceiling/arm ability. Been enjoyable watching kempt but with a couple games on tape, he shouldn’t be too hard to gameplan for.

I hope Kempt quiets the posters that keep saying this.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Blank+_03a10e07a9251580ab7d9cc26de01dc1.jpg

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
As long as he continues to get the ball into the hands of our play makers, a resounding YES!

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Tech and the remaining teams will have some challenges game planning against the ISU offense...I'm sure they mainly will plan against Kempt, but you gotta think Tech is remembering last year and Lanning...and at the back of their heads is the Park thought...what if he shows up. I like the uncertainty that the teams have to consider (and only have 6 days to plan against). Nice to have a bit of an advantage for a change.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I think for teams like Tech and OSU, Park would be the better quarterback as he has a more gunslinger mentality. But for the other games, I think Kempt will be fine.

Because that is the formula we used to pound Tech last year?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Tech and the remaining teams will have some challenges game planning against the ISU offense...I'm sure they mainly will plan against Kempt, but you gotta think Tech is remembering last year and Lanning...and at the back of their heads is the Park thought...what if he shows up. I like the uncertainty that the teams have to consider (and only have 6 days to plan against). Nice to have a bit of an advantage for a change.

I'm pretty confident in saying that Tech will get a fair dose of the Lan Ram at QB, especially if it's effective. I'm calling my shot that Joel hits one of our receivers for 6 on a run pass option play on Saturday.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I wonder how much Lanning we'll see, or even Noland in competitive situations?
Zeb won't play outside of garbage time, there's no apparent need for that. Which is a good problem to have. Lanning can certainly keep doing his thing, I'm all for that.

Back to topic, I'll be pretty disappointed if we lose to Baylor, and our chances against K-State seem reasonable as well. That's two winnable games right there, with opportunities to hang around in a few others

I don't see anybody really blowing us out, which is nice. We feel pretty competitive.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
There is no way in hell we use a 3 QB system. Zeb looks like he has a bright future but it's just not his time yet unless Kempt completely falls apart.
Zeb getting snaps isn't necessarily a three QB system and when you're rotating in your starting middle LB to in order to get things done on offense, using your number two QB isn't that far off.

We're already going to use three QBs on the year. The having a single "guy" is out, and the "if you don't have one, you don't have any" is largely a myth anyways.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Zeb getting snaps isn't necessarily a three QB system and when you're rotating in your starting middle LB to in order to get things done on offense, using your number two QB isn't that far off.

FFS playing Lanning, Kempt, and Noland would be the very definition of a 3 QB system.