Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Here are notes from last night's 6th grade volleyball.

1. One girl was set to bump a shot coming to her. She misjudged the trajectory and it bounced off the top of her head. She also bumped another shot that went straight up and hit her in the chin. She smiled and laughed both times.

2. The opposing team had a pregame chant that was about 2 minutes long.

3. I'm easily in the top 3 of handsomest coaches in our league (yes, there are only 3 male coaches).

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
that's what grandparents are for duh

Yeah, one set of grandparents are traveling all the time themselves. The others live too far away and even though they are both technically retired now feel like they can still only visit on a weekend.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My parents retired and moved into town shortly after I graduated from ISU. Several of my nieces and nephews got to enjoy the farm and I'm kinda bummed my daughter missed out. She would have loved seeing the animals, riding the four wheeler, walking down by the creek, and just having a ton of space to play.

I also missed out on all of the free hamburger, steaks and pork chops that my stupid siblings cashed in on after we butchered something.

.....but I'm not the least bit bitter about that.

My parents really need to move closer to Ames since they are here at least three times a week once sports start, but my kids will really miss visiting the farm. They haven't had cattle for a long time, so the girls don't really remember any animals being there (and the last farm dog died earlier this year). But they can go out exploring the barn and shop and climb to the catwalk of the grain bins and just explore. Haven't been out on the 4 wheeler yet. This summer when we were there my niece and nephews had their 4-H bucket calves and show cattle in the barn, so they did get to see a few animals. And my dad still gets meat from the locker to share with us even though they don't have any of their own to butcher anymore.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
There was a shootout in Doc Holliday's Saloon in Tombstone, AZ on Saturday.

200.webp

• Winner
Reactions: stormchaser2014

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I'm leaving for a short vaca today. Headed back to Dubuque, IA to my parents place, where I grew up. Early deer season is upon us, and my uncle's farm ground surrounds the neighborhood. Five minute walk out my folks' door and I'm hunting. I find nothing quite so relaxing as sitting in the woods, enjoying the show nature puts on. And occasionally, I may even take a nap.;)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
While I haven't left the US (yet) I have to agree that there is a lot of really diverse scenery right here in the homeland. I've been to Boston, New York, Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Orlando, Louisville, San Antonio, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, parts of Oregon, Salt Lake City, Denver, and all over the Midwest.

I haven't made it to Washington or Idaho yet, but they are on my list. Also, oddly enough, I've never been to Northern Minnesota or the upper peninsula of Michigan either, but I plan on getting up there as well.

California alone has an amazing array of landscapes: sprawling cities, beaches, secluded ocean coves, mountains, deserts, agricultural fields, ranches, redwoods, etc.

We traveled to a number of different places before kids and I don't regret one single trip.

Both of these are worth the trip. Crossing Lake Coeur D'Alene on I-94 is probably the most beautiful place I've ever been in my life. And in northwest Washington, in the San Juan Islands when it's actually sunny (which isn't all that often, unfortunately) it may be the most beautiful place in the lower 48. Cascade mountains on one side and the Puget Sound on the other....

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
This is one we're trying to fit in (along with DC and Fort Myers) in the next year and a half before child number one goes to college.

My one trip to the UP was a weekend ski trip that I don't remember much of. The one thing I do remember was driving through the unincorporated town of Ino, WI. We're pretty sure the town consisted of one church, two bars and no houses.

Whatever you do, don't go to the UP in the wintertime. Snowfalls there are epic. But US Highway 2 across the UP to Mackinac Bridge is pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron