Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My FILs parents seem a lot like yours. They did very well for themselves, live part time here and part time in Vegas. He goes to Cabo every year with buddies for a half week to week and at least once a year they have been going on a bigger trip somewhere in the world. They call it Skiing. Spending Kids Inheritance. Usually it is a Viking River Cruise, they have done Europe, Russia and a Mediterranean one in the last few years.

My parents "ski" by traveling and supporting Cyclone athletics. ;) I can't say I don't blame them, it is their money to spend--not mine.

Reactions: wxman1

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We've taken our kids all over the US. I think it's part of their education. We pretty much always drive to the point that when one of them was going on spring break trip with college friends, he wanted to fly and they all wanted to "road trip." He had driven the path they took many times with us.

When we went to DC with a stop at Cedar Point of course, we decided on the way back to go a bit out of the way and go to Gettysburg. We just had the oldest three then and they were pretty young, but we were surprised how much they got out of that. DC trip involved Baltimore and Charlottesville, they really enjoyed Fort McHenry too. DC is great with kids because so much is free.

They all went coast to coast with the college visits for the oldest, from Harvard and MIT to Caltech and USC.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Also, oddly enough, I've never been to Northern Minnesota or the upper peninsula of Michigan either, but I plan on getting up there as well.
This is one we're trying to fit in (along with DC and Fort Myers) in the next year and a half before child number one goes to college.

My one trip to the UP was a weekend ski trip that I don't remember much of. The one thing I do remember was driving through the unincorporated town of Ino, WI. We're pretty sure the town consisted of one church, two bars and no houses.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I assume all the rides are made from silicone-based products.

My wife and I took a tour of the Hatch Print Shop yesterday, and one of the tour guides showed us one poster the shop made with a picture of Dolly Parton on it. The guide went one to say you can tell age of the poster is due to the lack of "enhancements" on Ms. Parton. I feel like I was the only one who laughed at the joke.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I would love that. Sadly it is another trip with the in-laws entire family so it is a condo at table rock and doing all of the touristy Branson things for us.
Branson pisses me off due to the sheer amount of billboards they put on highway 65 from Springfield on south.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Molly decided to go for a piggy back ride last night. She's not very good at it, as she decided to climb on his back upside down. She's got her little legs stretched as far as they will go!
Molly piggyback resized.jpg

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
While I would completely love to travel the world, I'm pretty content staying within the country and checking out the rest of United States. Not to make you too jelly, but later this week my wife and I are going to the Smoky Mountains, and hopefully the fall colors are looking good. Right now we enjoying Nashville, TN, and I can't wait to try some Nashville hot chicken.

Pancake Pantry and Monell's!

Would love to get to the Smoky Mt/Blue Ridge area in fall.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I am right there with you. I am still jealous of CGs trip earlier this year but the vast size of this country offers amazing different contrasts. Also it can cost just as much as leaving the country so there is that too. Enjoy your trip! A trip idea I recently had was the Florida/Alabama gulf coast.

I'm still jealous of my trip. I want to go back!

Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnot so fast.................

only if they are willing, of course. I have a feeling we will have the opposite problem. But good thing is both sets are close to each other. They can trade during a week or something. Though I suspect once we have kids old enough.......the farm will become the more attractive option with such things as kittens, calves, and things to ride on.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
only if they are willing, of course. I have a feeling we will have the opposite problem. But good thing is both sets are close to each other. They can trade during a week or something. Though I suspect once we have kids old enough.......the farm will become the more attractive option with such things as kittens, calves, and things to ride on.

My parents retired and moved into town shortly after I graduated from ISU. Several of my nieces and nephews got to enjoy the farm and I'm kinda bummed my daughter missed out. She would have loved seeing the animals, riding the four wheeler, walking down by the creek, and just having a ton of space to play.

I also missed out on all of the free hamburger, steaks and pork chops that my stupid siblings cashed in on after we butchered something.

.....but I'm not the least bit bitter about that.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Since I have not gone on vacation somewhere I want to go in ten years (not even joking) I hate to say it but I told MrsWx that next year is our last vacation with her family for at least five years. We also told my parents and sister that we are planning to go back to Orlando in 2019 and would like them to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.