Kempt is great...but....

Ty4cy1104

Sep 1, 2012
Nevada, IA
This might have been mentioned in this thread already but I had some thoughts on Kempt vs Park passing. In the two games prior to Park's absence from the team we noticed a trend of his passes sailing high on our receivers. Prior to that, he had been extremely accurate with his throws but our receivers were dropping passes at an uncommon rate.
We're now two games into Kempt leading the offense and our receiver seem to have a handle on dropped balls.
My thought was that perhaps Parks inaccuracy was in part, due to receivers telling him to take pace of the ball which would result in the ball sailing because he isn't driving into his throw as much. Kempts arm strength/pass velocity isn't near what Parks is but he knows that pace and where to put the ball because of it.
With all that said, I know this is an extremely small sample size and one game was raining but it would appear that our receivers prefer or can at least handle Kempt's passing better. And until he starts turning it over, this appears to be a great match with our receivers.

• Agree
Reactions: DrT and aauummm

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Ah! The classic your/you're comeback. You got me good there!

Did I ever once say Park played well against Texas? Nah. Of course we're not going to open up the playbook and consistently run deep routes with Kempt starting down in Norman. We would have lost the game by 50 if we did that. Manning deserves a lot of credit for the play calling. There will be a need once defenses start to defend what we are trying to do. You can't really compare what he did in the Kansas game b/c of the conditions.

Why didn't Kempt start the season if he's so good in your eyes?

I don't know why I'm arguing with you. You seem to know everything as it is. I'm clearly wasting my time.

Well, you pulled out an obvious typo so I thought I'd do the same.

Again, there's a complete lack of nuance in your logic. You say that Kempt hasn't done something, therefor he can't. I say he'll have to and we don't have any information saying he can or can't. Huge difference there.

The other thing is you seem to think that it's just real easy to go out and defend the run while also defending the perimeter passing attack. It's not. So, the two things we could potentially do well are hard to defend all at once. What will be a problem, as I've stated before, is that someone like TCU will be able to potential be able to defend the run with 5 guys, largely because of the front 4 and then you free up 2-3 guys on the edges which makes a huge difference. When that happens (and it will happen) Kempt is going to have to hold the safeties and linebackers through other means in the middle of the field. That's what you claim is above his ability, yet you have no evidence to support it. I don't have much to support that he can but that wasn't the disagreement in the first place. The disagreement is within you talking about Parks progressions vs Kempts on pretty shaky evidence. Park undoubtedly has the higher ceiling, however, to this point, he's also shown the propensity to press things.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: aauummm and rbrook

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Anyone see the KU mishandled punt midway in the 3rd Qtr. As bad as the shank was, (On replay), it appears that the kick was not actually blocked by ISU, and that the refs could have called roughing the kicker on ISU?

I missed this. Did the ball hit the ground? I think if the ball hits the ground, the punter is then determined to be a runner but I could be wrong.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Why do we have such blind faith in Park's "ceiling"? Park is just a man, just like kyle, Zeb and God forbid Devon.

Since I doubt (imo) that we see Park again in 2017, next year is gonna be hell on you guys with a healthy Devon, Zeb and possible Park.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I missed this. Did the ball hit the ground? I think if the ball hits the ground, the punter is then determined to be a runner but I could be wrong.

Also, I believe once the punter leaves the tackle box (which they did in this case) they lose the protections allowed to them as a kicker and are kind of treated more like a quarterback where you can still late hit them, but it's not as ticky tack as a roughing the punter call.

• Informative
Reactions: IASTATE07

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is pointless to argue Park vs Kempt when you don't know if one of them will ever play for ISU again.

Kempt has done very well with a limited playbook. Against OU they had no idea to expect, against KU they did what they needed to do, stop the run game and force Kempt to pass. Kempt was not spectacular, but good enough, certainly better than either of the KU QBs. KU made way too many mistakes on offense and special teams for good defense to make a difference.

I still don't buy that the TT defense is that much improved so Kempt will probably be fine this weekend. His biggest test will be against TCU. Just like every QB, a good DC will figure out what he can and likes to do, and take that away.

No matter what, it is great to be in the position where there are 6 games left and ISU is only 2 from bowl eligibility. The way this team is playing defense, and the number of good skill guys on offense, anything can happen. Pretty exciting stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka and aauummm

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Why do we have such blind faith in Park's "ceiling"? Park is just a man, just like kyle, Zeb and God forbid Devon.

Since I doubt (imo) that we see Park again in 2017, next year is gonna be hell on you guys with a healthy Devon, Zeb and possible Park.
Because even below his ceiling he's played as good as any QB we've had, sans one game.

Reactions: CyTwins

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Because even below his ceiling he's played as good as any QB we've had, sans one game.
His best win in 9 tries was last year against a mediocre TTU. This year he has been horrible on 3rd down. Some of that could be play calling but much of it is on Park. How many times did he throw the ball out of bounds when he could have tucked it and ran for the first down?

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
This reply is not directly to you, there are plenty of people convinced he has only played one bad game. Lets break it down. Since the 2016 season started ISU has played 18 games. Park did not see action in 4 of them(2016 UNI & Baylor, 2017 OU & KU), so that means he played in 14 games. 4 of those 14 we played musical QB(2016 IA, TCU, OSU & Texas). In the remaining 10, Park had more than 50% of ISU's passing attempts, so he would be the primary QB. He is 5 & 5.

date Opp score #of team PA JPstats
9/2416 SJSU W 44-10 29 15 of 19 79% Non Conference
10/29/16 KSU L 26-31 43 19 of 35 54%
11/3/16 OU L 24-34 30 16 of 29 55%
11/12/16 KU W 31-24 30 20 of 26 77%
11/19/16 TT W 66-10 22 14 of 18 78%
11/26/16 WV L 19-49 44 23 of 44 52%
9/2/17 UNI W 42-24 36 27-35 77% Non Conference
9/9/17 IA L 41-44 46 25 of 46 54% Non Conference
9/16/17 Akron W 41-14 33 24 of 33 73% Non Conference
9/28/17 Texas L 7-17 49 24 of 48 50%

In 5 games his completion % was 73% or higher. Wins versus 3 Non Conference teams(SJSU, UNI & Akron) and 2 conference wins(KU & TT).

In 5 games his completion % was 55% or lower. Losses versus 1 Non Conf(Iowa) and 4 conference(KSU, OU, WV & Texas).

I realize the results either win or lose are not completely on him. I do see that he is having success against, what I would call lower level teams, but has struggled against tougher teams.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
His best win in 9 tries was last year against a mediocre TTU. This year he has been horrible on 3rd down. Some of that could be play calling but much of it is on Park. How many times did he throw the ball out of bounds when he could have tucked it and ran for the first down?

I actually think Park has been pretty good on third down in his career

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Team game. Stop obsessing over the QB position. It’s very important for sure. It’s also obvious with this team (solid run game, great receivers for the first time in ages, very tough defense, great special teams) that Kempt can help lead us to Ws.

His best attributes with this group are accuracy, calm/consistent attitude, not doing too much and is very smart. That’s all this team needs from a QB.

He doesn’t have Park’s arm or experience. Or even some of his running elusiveness. I feel tho Kempt may have a bit better football acumen and he’s very cerainlu more level-headed.

IMO for what the best aspects are of a QB - it’s almost wash between the 2.

Reactions: CyValley

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Revisionist history was your major I'm guessing.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyValley

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
This year's offense was 22nd in the country in efficiency prior to today's game. Im not sure that will change much after today's game where we punted 9 times vs what I believe was a bottom 100 defense in KU. 22nd is amazing for ISU being that we were never top 50 with a downfield passing attack for the last decade. Kstate was 10th, 16th, 18th, 19th in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, respectively. I think Campbell is learning this lesson about ISU football and what it takes to win in the Big 12 at a disadvantaged program. Now I'm going to go do what I do - actually watch college football. Lots and lots of college football.
no-one-knows-what-its-like-to-be-the-bode-man.jpg

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Sure it could.

But I like our chances better with a 100% healthy Park.

So do I, but that guy doesn't exist right now and there is no timetable for his return. I like our chances better with a lot of things that don't currently exist.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron