***Official USMNT Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Carleton is an Atlanta United Academy Product, Don't think he has the fortune unlike the Pulisics and such to move to Europe until he turns 18. At least Arthur Blank is pumping money like crazy into AU.

Weah actually got good under the Red Bulls' (and his dad, George Weah, who is legitimately running for Liberia's presidency right now) Academy System before moving to PSG.

Really hoping we get England too, Scouts will be watching that game like crazy

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I thnk I saw on the USMNT Facebook page that Gulati sees no reason to step away.

Unless he is forced out, we are so screwed.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I thnk I saw on the USMNT Facebook page that Gulati sees no reason to step away.

Unless he is forced out, we are so screwed.

He’s up for re-election in February. So there’s really not a huge rush to force him out right now. If the board wants him out, they’ll simply vote him out in a few months.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Regarding voting, there's actually like 700 different people voting, not just the board. This includes Athletes, Coaches, the Board, Youth Coaches, and a fan board.

The Athletes have the most power, the Youth Coaches have the most but the least "power" in terms of votings. I have to find the tweet about it.

(By the way, I need to remind people that the MLS Players' Union is blocking payments that any team that they signed with gets if they get transferred. You do the math.)

We're facing England's U17 team on Saturday at I think 9:30 AM here on FS2. Should be an offensive slobberknocker.

(Also in MLS news, Columbus Crew's owner is threatening to move the team to Austin if he doesn't get a new stadium in downtown Columbus. Much like the NFL, the move has to be approved by all the owners, Hopefully most owners smarten up to this and tell him to shove it or else this could damage the league as a whole,

NASL is still somehow on Life Support but there's a reason it is. There's rumors that if it does stay afloat that Detroit City FC and a revived Silverback team could join. I'm sure they'll go after Columbus (and another fan owned team to boot) if the team does relocate)

Last edited:

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
So the U17s have a kid on their 23 named Indiana Vassilev who has made a couple of sub appearances. All I can think of...

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Another fun update:

Looks like a ruling will be made tomorrow on the USSF vs NASL court case to decide if NASL can retain D2 status. Also revealed in court proceedings that North Carolina FC will move to the USL Pro, SF Deltas will likely fold

Also Colombus fans said **** you to Precourt in a pretty epic way last night, Precourt is actively trying to prevent fans from showing up by shutting down half the gates during the home leg of their CSF vs NYCFC. They all showed up by halftime. Then they won 4-1.

Hopefully the other MLS owners just tell Precourt to screw off and make him sell the team.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Sacha Kijestan was the guy he was fighting with by the way.

Kyle Martino has stepped away from his punditry duties for NBC's PL coverage to run for the USSF presidency.

Eric Wynalda is in the running as well. Along with USSF VP.

A lot of guys have officially put their names in, I feel like we need a multistage run off or something or else we'll see a Gulati win.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
It's not shocking, but the US roster for next week's friendly against Portugal dropped and we went young. I guess we will all just have to get used to the fact that we are going to be the fluffer for the countries that actually qualified for the WC over the next 8 months. Here's the squad:

Goalkeepers: Jesse Gonzalez, Bill Hamid, Ethan Horvath
Defenders: John Brooks, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Eric Lichaj, Matt Miazga, Tim Ream, Jorge Villafana, DeAndre Yedlin
Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta, Tyler Adams, Alejandro Bedoya, Lynden Gooch, Weston McKennie, Kelyn Rowe, Danny Williams
Forwards: Juan Agudelo, Dom Dwyer, C.J. Sapong, Josh Sargent

The one guy that the US needs to get involved in the player pool soon is Jonathan Gonzalez. He's been the starting central mid for Monterrey in Liga MX (currently in first place). He's an 18-year old, born in California, and he's represented the US at youth levels. I'm sure some of the US fan base will freak out that he's not included in this roster, but it would not surprise me if Monterrey were not 100% enthused to let one of their players fly over to Portugal to play a one-off friendly.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/monterre...jonathan-gonzalez-making-strides-at-monterrey

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Glad to see Sargent get a call up. Dom Dwyer never should have been dropped after the Gold Cup. Say what you want about JA and BW but they just. Don’t. Know. How. To. Get. Goals when it’s not spoon fed to them on a silver platter.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Glad to see Sargent get a call up. Dom Dwyer never should have been dropped after the Gold Cup. Say what you want about JA and BW but they just. Don’t. Know. How. To. Get. Goals when it’s not spoon fed to them on a silver platter.
I feel like if Wood got a better club situation the goals would come again. Stay at Hamburg too long and they will chew you up and spit you out. They've benched him lately, but I really don't think anyone will get the job done for them up there unless the next Lewandowski/Mueller pops out of nowhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
USSF/SUM (The MLS Owners) are interested in having a tournament in 2018 featuring a bunch of the teams that have not qualified for 2018.

Thankfully no one is biting, and I'm sure if the US gets a bunch of the WC sponsors that backed out on board, that'll really set FIFA off.

Last edited:

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Grant Wahl is claiming that multiple sources are telling him that Gulati is strongly considering not seeking reelection and will instead endorse SUM president Kathy Carter for the position instead

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
USSF/SUM (The MLS Owners) are interested in having a tournament in 2018 featuring a bunch of the teams that have not qualified for 2018.

Thankfully no one is biting, and I'm sure if the US gets a bunch of the WC sponsors that backed out on board, that'll really set FIFA off.
I'm not coming after you, but why would this be a bad thing?

I personally don't care about FIFA's bloated and corrupt bottom line, and I don't think they could come after the U.S. in anyway because that's risking a cash cow. Even if they are corrupt enough to want to.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
I'm not coming after you, but why would this be a bad thing?

I personally don't care about FIFA's bloated and corrupt bottom line, and I don't think they could come after the U.S. in anyway because that's risking a cash cow. Even if they are corrupt enough to want to.
It could affect the 2026 bid.

Plus this would mean the Women's team would be banned from the 2019 WWC.

Anyway, ESPN has confirmed that Gulati will not be seeking reelection, didn't endorse anyone. Unlike what rumors were saying.