On to Football Season

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I admire the effort to shift this debate and the effort to argue a hypothetical that if Lanning played a different position that he would beat out Bowers. If Lanning were such a great OLB he would play outside and Spears would play inside. As it is, Spears and Bowers are OLB and Jewell and Lanning are MLB.
Maybe, as happens a fair amount in CFB, your best three LBs are probably all best suited to be OLB. Maybe Spears being like 215 is why he isn't playing in the middle. Someone has to play in the middle. May as well be the guy that is starting from scratch and best fits the bill from a measurable standpoint.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I will preface this with stating that I am not saying Lanning is as good as Jewell, but when you consider the massive experience gap, it is remarkable how well Lanning has played in comparison.
PSU rolls up stupid yardage but Jewell makes some huge plays. OU rolls up big yardage but Lanning makes some huge plays.
In the Cyhawk game both got worked pretty hard, as did their defenses as a whole.
MSU and UT games were similar.
The rest of the games for both guys were similar- played well against bad teams.
Play of the front four is a huge factor in how a MLB plays. ISUs has been a pleasant surprise, and I'd say Iowa's has been a slight disappointment, but still pretty good.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I will preface this with stating that I am not saying Planning is as good as Jewell, but when you consider the massive experience gap, it is remarkable how well Lanning has played in comparison.
PSU rolls up stupid yardage but Jewell makes some huge plays. OU rolls up big yardage but Lanning makes some huge plays.
In the Cyhawk game both got worked pretty hard, as did their defenses as a whole.
MSU and UT games were similar.
The rest of the games for both guys were similar- played well against bad teams.
Play of the front four is a huge factor in how a MLB plays. ISUs has been a pleasant surprise, and I'd say Iowa's has been a slight disappointment, but still pretty good.

ISU's DL has been better than Iowa's so far this year while playing a harder schedule. Talk about things you never thought you would hear this season!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
ISU's DL has been better than Iowa's so far this year while playing a harder schedule. Talk about things you never thought you would hear this season!
I'm not quite there yet but I would say performance of the two teams' front 7 so far this season has been fairly similar. I have not looked how total SOS compares, but my guess is they are in the ballpark of one another. A lot of the season to go yet, but so far saying ISUs Front 7 has been a pleasant surprise is an understatement.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm not quite there yet but I would say performance of the two teams' front 7 so far this season has been fairly similar. I have not looked how total SOS compares, but my guess is they are in the ballpark of one another. A lot of the season to go yet, but so far saying ISUs Front 7 has been a pleasant surprise is an understatement.

We average more sacks and give us less rushing yards all while playing a harder schedule. Our DL is definitely better to this point

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I'm with you, our Dline has similar results even with the tougher schedule so far.

Sep 29, 2017
You guys are killing your Super Bowl.
You kept the Iowa game a LOT closer than I expected. Definitely a ‘super bowl’ like effort, but just not enough to take down Iowa, who didn’t even play that well on defense. Maybe if Campbell didn’t put so much pressure on the players to win that game, the clones might have held on.

Sep 29, 2017
Not ISU's fault that Iowa refused to play us for 40 some years, a lot of which Iowa was absolutely terrible. At least when we were terrible we still took the field. I mark those all down as forfeits.
You should use that as your motto. ‘At least when we were terrible we still took the field.’ It has a much better ring to it than ‘raising the standard.’

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
This is how the Hoks play wiith the Super Bowl feature turned on:

tumblr_ntrjs6qGWm1s3uawvo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: CyTwins

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron