Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Our family sporting event was pretty interesting. 6th grade girl had her year-end tennis tournament. As you might expect, it wasn't totally organized. She was in a 5 player bracket. The first girl didn't show up. The second girl she was supposed to play (had a bye first round) also didn't show up so she was in the championship bracket. Then they realized that another bracket of similar skill level had a similar predicament so they moved a girl from that bracket into my daughter's bracket so she was no longer in the championship. She won that match so she was in the championship but lost that match. This daughter doesn't let anything bother her and she smiled the whole time. Also, the cheeseburger and fries from the food truck were very good.

The mighty cheeseburger is my favorite thing to eat. (The vixen can't understand this.) I thought about starting a cheeseburger thread, to see the favorites of my fellow CF posters. For fast food, I have to go with Wendy's, because they are consistently good. Culver's is a close second, although some Culver's tend to overcook them.

Biggest disappointment in the chains had to be Red Robin.....I went to my first out in Washington with the girls, was all jacked up because I had heard so much about the burgers there, and........meh.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I plan to be a perfect parent :D

I will say my parents used threats a lot that they never followed through on - at least with my younger siblings. That would always drive me nuts. 78 "last warnings". DH and I discovered last summer that we can be pretty strict "parents" for about 48 hours. Oldest niece decided to see if our boundaries were as loose as grandma's.......they were not. Whining did not get very far. I think I had told the story of older niece being mean and making younger niece cry, then trying to play me against DH and DH then very nicely "played" older niece. I think DH would be a good father. I hope our kids wouldn't be bratty. I don't like bratty kids.

My oldest will call me out if I don't follow through on a threat, usually on the younger ones. I am not perfect and my kids are not perfect, but we do get people telling us they are well-behaved kids. :) Must catch them on a good day . . .

Reactions: cyrevkah

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
The mighty cheeseburger is my favorite thing to eat. (The vixen can't understand this.) I thought about starting a cheeseburger thread, to see the favorites of my fellow CF posters. For fast food, I have to go with Wendy's, because they are consistently good. Culver's is a close second, although some Culver's tend to overcook them.

Biggest disappointment in the chains had to be Red Robin.....I went to my first out in Washington with the girls, was all jacked up because I had heard so much about the burgers there, and........meh.

Red Robin sucks IMO. Best burger I've had was at a place in D.C. named Good Eats. It was incredible. Fast food wise its either In-N-Out or Freddy's

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Daughter got predictably routed in her soccer game this weekend. The team she played was really really good and not placed in the right division at all.

Proud dad alert: Despite getting their butts handed to them, Lil Cooler never stopped playing hard, never stopped shouting encouragement to her teammates, and even consoled her teammate that scored an own goal and got her to laugh.

She is still competitive, but she handles losing way better than I ever did.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
My oldest will call me out if I don't follow through on a threat, usually on the younger ones. I am not perfect and my kids are not perfect, but we do get people telling us they are well-behaved kids. :) Must catch them on a good day . . .

haha, fellow oldest child! She'll probably also be really annoyed if limits are relaxed for the younger ones - bed times, curfews, dating age, etc. I get that things change with subsequent kids but man does it burn when you had a midnight curfew (at age 17/18) - and subsequent siblings are fine to be out until 2am at the same age :rolleyes:.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
haha, fellow oldest child! She'll probably also be really annoyed if limits are relaxed for the younger ones - bed times, curfews, dating age, etc. I get that things change with subsequent kids but man does it burn when you had a midnight curfew (at age 17/18) - and subsequent siblings are fine to be out until 2am at the same age :rolleyes:.

We have a town curfew of midnight with some exceptions of course.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

My sister did not have much of a social life (still doesn't) so I was in essence the first. That sucked.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

We go to Red Robin every time we see the Lincoln & Seattle grandkids. I have no idea if the burgers are any good - I always have the basket of fried clams. :D And the shakes are the real oldfashioned ice cream shakes instead of the foamy extruded crap that the fast food restaurants serve, so that's a bonus.
Best one around used to be Ruttles on South Duff..but it died about 15-20 years ago.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
My sister did not have much of a social life (still doesn't) so I was in essence the first. That sucked.

I think probably the time I got in the most trouble was at a friend's grad party when I was just short of 17. We were playing cards with her family and I sort of lost track of time. We were finishing up a last game and then I figured I'd go home. Now, we tended to be up late as a family anyway so me being out at 11-12 wasn't crazy (also why the 12am curfew sucked, I wasn't usually done milking til 9-10pm anyway). It wasn't unusual for relatives to be over and play cards or board games until midnight. So I want to stress that though the location was new, this wasn't something our family wasn't used to.

Anyway, friend's mom comes in and says hey CG your parents called and sound worried. It's about midnight at that point or shortly after. I remember I had a cellphone (in my purse, in the house - we were in the garage) and sure enough I had some messages. ****.

So I get home about 12:30 and am in major trouble. This was the first time I'd gotten to go to any type of party and I was now grounded for a week (never been grounded before, decided that wasn't the moment to ask what it meant they were going to do) and probably not going to other fun events.

There was just one problem. I later realized that neither myself nor my parents had ever discussed a curfew. So in effect, I got in trouble for not reading their minds to know what was an acceptable time. Also decided to not bring that up. There was a curfew set by the next year when DH and I started dating but I always thought that was one that should have been a yep, both sides screwed this up - me assuming they'd be ok with my judgement of what was ok, and them not setting an expectation - so we'll let it go this time and establish rules for next time.

Reactions: SCyclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I was the youngest of eight. I could have joined a cult and my parents wouldn't have grounded me for curfew. All I had to do was avoid that damned squeaky seventh step and I was home free.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Every kid is different, and what works for one may not work for another despite the same genetics & environment. Add in the blended family issue and it becomes a tightrope trying to avoid favoritism.

None of our kids are in prison.

I call that a win. ;)
This for me too. My kid's employers all love their work ethic and intelligence, and no one ever spent the night in jail (although the oldest came close -- chip off the old block).

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I was the youngest of eight. I could have joined a cult and my parents wouldn't have grounded me for curfew. All I had to do was avoid that damned squeaky seventh step and I was home free.

The vixen was the oldest of four, and she swears her kid sister (the youngest) NEVER got in trouble for ANYTHING. (That's certainly selective memory.) But she tells pretty entertaining stories about how Mishelle (spelling is correct) would come home dead drunk, sometimes with puke on her shoes, or would pass out on the porch swing when she didn't make it inside. My wife swears she would have gotten the yardstick if it had been her. o_O

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The vixen was the oldest of four, and she swears her kid sister (the youngest) NEVER got in trouble for ANYTHING. (That's certainly selective memory.) But she tells pretty entertaining stories about how Mishelle (spelling is correct) would come home dead drunk, sometimes with puke on her shoes, or would pass out on the porch swing when she didn't make it inside. My wife swears she would have gotten the yardstick if it had been her. o_O

I only got grounded twice, and, by all means, I earned those.

I've said it on here before, but my dad's preferred method of punishment was earlier-than-normal farm chores the following morning. Those always involved a shovel and something that smelled worse that a queasy stomach could handle.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone
Status
Not open for further replies.