Had a conversation at church and want your opinion...

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
My wife an I were enjoying some hard cider at an orchard and when I opened my phone I was shocked to see the game was tied and ISU was driving. When it got to 38-31 and that final 4th & 4 play, I asked her "What do you think? Do they stop them here?"

Her answer was an immediate "No."

Of course, she was just mirroring me, as she believes (and I often am) that I'm infinitely pessimistic regarding my teams. She couldn't give 2 you-know-whats about sports.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
When Lazard made that catch I was certain I was going to be looking at one of those balls that trickled through everybody's arms and hit the turf. When the ref threw his arms up, so did I. I decided not to breathe during the extra point.

That worked.

Then my daughter looked at me and proclaimed cheerfully, "We're gonna win!"

My wife and I exchanged a look that was a mix of "We have to disown her now for jinxing us" and "Do you want to tell her about Santa Claus, or should I?"

I managed to calmly tell her that "There is a lot of time left and Oklahoma is a good team."

I figured that not breathing worked for the extra point, so I decided to try that again for the rest of the game.

After the clock hit 00:00, I let out a yell that scared my cat. Then I tried texting my brother, but I was shaking so much that it took me about 2 minutes to type "Holy ****".

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
When Lazard made that catch I was certain I was going to be looking at one of those balls that trickled through everybody's arms and hit the turf. When the ref threw his arms up, so did I. I decided not to breathe during the extra point.

That worked.

Then my daughter looked at me and proclaimed cheerfully, "We're gonna win!"

My wife and I exchanged a look that was a mix of "We have to disown her now for jinxing us" and "Do you want to tell her about Santa Claus, or should I?"

I managed to calmly tell her that "There is a lot of time left and Oklahoma is a good team."

I figured that not breathing worked for the extra point, so I decided to try that again for the rest of the game.

After the clock hit 00:00, I let out a yell that scared my cat. Then I tried texting my brother, but I was shaking so much that it took me about 2 minutes to type "Holy ****".

Same here. My 10 year old said we were going to win BEFORE our last touchdown. I wasn't worried about him jinxing it as much as I was explaining that that's just not the way it works when you're a Cyclone fan. He enjoyed telling people the rest of the weekend how much more confident he is than me, while I got to explain the definition of the word "jaded" to him.

I think I got about 10 texts immediately after the game ended and I had a helluva time responding because my hands were shaking so badly.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I liked where we were (OU was extremely rattled) but I was thinking of the Iowa game where they drove down the field and tied it up. That's just the ISU fan in me but part of the culture that needs to change that CMC has preached about. Fans are as much part of the culture change as the team. Time to start believing ISU can close out and not foreseeing (and almost encouraging) the worst.

• Agree
Reactions: Spam

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Ugh, it being the same exact score as the Iowa game did not make me feel good about our chances to win, and thought for sure they were going to pick up that first down, especially when we could not get to him.

Ball fell to the ground and I was amazed that it was that "easy". Since when do ISU fans get off without at least five more stressful plays?

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
I was alone at home watching. I can image looking in the window at me in the 4th quarter nervously vacuuming and yelling at the TV would have been entertaining.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Is it good or bad that Iowa State is better defensively at stopping a team on 3rd and 4th and short than 3rd and 4th and 10+?

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
Somebody posted the link to the replay, (thanks) so I watched it Saturday night. We needed enough of a comeback that we were still behind most of the second half, in spiite of the stunning combeback. OU kept making enough plays that the perception was still there that ISU had not actually changed the momentum..I was never confident even watching the replay.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Kept thinking on the last OU series to the Iowa/PSU game and how it sucks for the state of Iowa that both teams would lose so devastatingly to top 5 teams just a few weeks apart.

It's strange because I'm usually not pessimistic. Against OSU when we got the ball in OT, I KNEW we were going to win. It was the opposite this game. I think that's just more because of how we lost to Iowa, though, than because we're ISU (which I feel is a stupid saying anyway, as if there's some cosmic force that causes us to lose more and in a worse fashion than other teams on our level).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I was so expecting OU to drive down and score, that I was so shocked they stopped them that I was just sitting there. I mean I had no emotional response. I was just blown away.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Even without our history, you have to think a team named "Oklahoma" with 2:19 on the clock, and an (up till then) potential Heisman quarterback, is going to have at least a 50-50 chance of moving the team down the field for the TD.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
I thought, no way we stop them. I figured we would lose in OT.

Our daughter had a friend over for a play date. I'm guessing this little girl thinks my wife and I are crazy for screaming at the TV. I guess we will see if she is allowed back over.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I didn't think ISU would win at any point in that game until it was sealed. The entire game had a weird feel to it, almost like a scrimmage. Once we started rolling in that 2nd I got excited about how we were playing, but still thought it would be a typical moral victory kind of game. After it was said and done I still had a feeling of disbelief about it all.
And, I would have granted a moral victory to lose in OT on the road to the #3 team in the country, that in of itself would be "progress" over previous years.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
When we went for the TD on 4th down and got it, I knew it was going to be a different kind of day. But I really didn't know how to feel, other than worried, until it actually happened.

And I have no place for fans who gave up on the game and did lawn work in the middle. If you don't sit through entire games, even the stinkers, then you don't deserve to watch the Cyclones win the big ones.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
When we went for the TD on 4th down and got it, I knew it was going to be a different kind of day. But I really didn't know how to feel, other than worried, until it actually happened.

And I have no place for fans who gave up on the game and did lawn work in the middle. If you don't sit through entire games, even the stinkers, then you don't deserve to watch the Cyclones win the big ones.

We never went for a TD on 4th down and got it. Not sure which TD you could be thinking of.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron