Next ISU president

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I have heard that Wickert is well-regarded on campus, is that not true for you?
As I posted when Leath resigned, the heavy favorite is Jonathan Wickert, as he should be. He is extremely well-regarded at ISU by faculty and students alike, is at the elite level at both academics and fundraising, and apparently has some different views of leadership than what Leath had. His leadership as the Dean of Engineering and as Provost has earned him tons of fans.
Who can totally predict what the Regents will ultimately do? That said, they will be getting lots of feedback from the ISU community to name Wickert as president, and I would bet on him.
Iowa State will be better for it.

• Agree
Reactions: CyArob and Acylum

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't want to make him sound bad in the general forum, but I know he really recently made a decision regarding a minority group's program with which I would never agree.
Interesting, I haven't heard about this or quite frankly anything negative about Wickert.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
"U.S. Air Force Academy graduate who earned the Bronze Star in Afghanistan.

Harvard M.B.A. and Rhodes Scholar who earned his doctorate from Oxford.

Academic All-American and winner of the Campbell Trophy as the nation’s top football scholar athlete.

At Hampden-Sydney he was named one of America’s 20 Most Interesting College Presidents by The Best Schools, while the college produced its first Truman and Goldwater Scholars in 20 years."

I'm all in on this guy. What an impressive resume.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
"U.S. Air Force Academy graduate who earned the Bronze Star in Afghanistan.

Harvard M.B.A. and Rhodes Scholar who earned his doctorate from Oxford.

Academic All-American and winner of the Campbell Trophy as the nation’s top football scholar athlete.

At Hampden-Sydney he was named one of America’s 20 Most Interesting College Presidents by The Best Schools, while the college produced its first Truman and Goldwater Scholars in 20 years."

I'm all in on this guy. What an impressive resume.

These are all impressive things, but what in his resume indicates that he would a good fit for a land-grant AAU research university? After getting his degrees, there doesn't seem to be any kind of administrative experience with this type of school.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and k123

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
These are all impressive things, but what in his resume indicates that he would a good fit for a land-grant AAU research university? After getting his degrees, there doesn't seem to be any kind of administrative experience with this type of school.

Yes, Mr Howard has an awesome resume and is surely a great leader - but Robert Morris is a private University with 5,000 students, a generic engineering degree and no agricultural presence. Besides this random suggestion we have no reason to suggest he is a candidate, besides the idea that he is, like Coach Campbell, a 'young man on the move', right?

upload_2017-10-4_11-0-19.png

The job of Uni president besides fundraising must overlap with the University's mission. In this case, as a public, land grant university with most of its considerable research dollars and spin off labs/businesses related to agriculture, ag-economics, engineering, veterinary/animal science, physical sciences like Chemistry, energy/materials physics, etc - the candidates will surely have backgrounds in those areas or experience at such a university.

Geoffrey was a Chemist, Leath was all about state-uni research parks, etc.

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-4_11-0-7.png
    upload_2017-10-4_11-0-7.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

Or any interest on his or ISU's part?

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Rather have hockey, I know many Minnesotans including myself that actually think the sport could thrive here compared to baseball which a northern school hasn’t won the World Series since the 60s.

I think having both would just be neat to have. Give me something else to follow.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don't think I ever indicated that Mr. Howard was a candidate in any capacity, or that I had any inside information. I merely made the first serious response to the OP, which specifically asked who we personally want. I listed my two candidates who I thought could be great, and reasonably attainable given their current positions.

Neither have experience at an ag-based land grant university, no. And Hoiberg didn't have any experience coaching. But he was an up-and-comer who had a great deal of success in his own arena, and we wanted to lock in someone who would bring passion to the job for however long they were here.

I had thought we were just spitballing, per the OP, since nobody knows who the final four are. If anyone has any prospects who have specific experience, are interested, and are attainable, I think it's awesome to post them here.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I see that there are forums scheduled for the four finalists next week.
I still have not received word that my non-candidacy has earned me one of these forums.
They really should employ some common courtesy and just let me know either way.

I think they kinda have, based on your 2nd paragraph.