Where do we go at QB from here?

What would you do at QB?

• Total voters

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
No matter how many times I see it, I am amazed at how fast this site turns on our players especially QBs...I posted this in another thread in case you guys forgot how good park and this offense(enough with the K state thing) were doing.

Park going into the Texas game was averaging 311 yards per game at 66.6% completion and 4:1 td to int.

The kid had 1 bad game and we are ready to replace him with a guy who got all of his production on swing passes and jump balls. He did a great job letting his play makers make plays. I feel pretty good about where we are until park gets back.

As for asking for more Joel playing QB I do not like it unless we are 4th and short or on the goal line. That is too much to ask every week. He will get too worn down and he is too valuable on defense. The only way I would support more offensive snaps is if we have another LB step up that can fill in on defense. That amount of snaps is just too many for every week

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Opposing coordinators now have some film on Kempt and how we use his abilities. That does make a difference. Our line also gave him way, way more time than Park had against UT (because UT was better). I loved what I saw out of Kempt with his poise and touch, but I'm surprised to see the results of the poll.

CF_Cyclone

Mar 31, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
I do like how Kempt gave our big receivers a chance to make a play on the ball. Park overthrows them way too often.

But Park is a lot more talented. If Park had the same game plan against Texas that they had for Kempt today, that would have been a win IMO. Look at how often Kempt dumped it off to Montgomery in space, or Ryen, or Murdock, etc instead of just throwing deep all day. Park had none of that available to him against Texas' pressure.... mainly just deep routes that took too long to develop.

I agree, many of Park's interceptions are due to throwing the ball over the receiver. In the Texas game the color commentator on ESPN noted that Park will throw from his back foot often rather than stepping into the throw which will lead to the over throws. He was a pain to listen to, but after he said that I watched his throwing motion and saw what he was talking about. Park has a strong arm that helps him overcome this, but at times gets him in trouble. If he gets this worked out, and learns to control his velocity Park is the QB of the future.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
After Saturday I say Kempt. But the last decade of ISU QB history tells me otherwise. Every single QB we've ever had has come out of his first game a hero and every single one of them turned out to be a dud eventually. Park seems different to me. At the same time he let down his team and Kyle did everything to deserve another start. Specially when you see the team hoisting him up in the locker room.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
We don't even know if Park will be back, so move forward with what you have. If Park does come back and Kempt keeps this up, you stick with what is working.

• Agree
Reactions: StLouisClone

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
If Kempt is the real deal, we will know soon enough. The doubts expressed by 38% of the fans on here will hopefully keep him motivated.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
After Saturday I say Kempt. But the last decade of ISU QB history tells me otherwise. Every single QB we've ever had has come out of his first game a hero and every single one of them turned out to be a dud eventually. Park seems different to me. At the same time he let down his team and Kyle did everything to deserve another start. Specially when you see the team hoisting him up in the locker room.

Why would you choose Kempt over a 100% healthy Park? Because he "seems different"?

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Don't bring Park back, he totally mismanaged the offense against Texas, but may have had *something* affecting his on field performance. The season is too short to throw even one game away, can you imagine being 4-1?

Team is on a rally, change nothing you don't have to

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Don't bring Park back, he totally mismanaged the offense against Texas, but may have had *something* affecting his on field performance. The season is too short to throw even one game away, can you imagine being 4-1?

Team is on a rally, change nothing you don't have to

Yeah don't bring back the guy that has the big 12 arm strength and the talent to actually take this team somewhere!!!

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I meant that Park seems different in a good way. That he doesnt seem to fall into the always-repeating ISU QB narrative (great in first game and regressed after that). Park is the most consistent QB we've had in a long time.

I understand Park has some issues he's dealing with.

But I can't believe some people are actually calling for Kempt to be the outright starter for the rest of year when/if Park comes back.

If you can't see Parks talent then I feel bad for you, son.

If Park doesn't come back, Manning will have to get very creative throughout the year, because teams will catch on to Kempt and will make him feel very uncomfortable.

Kempt played well, Manning called an even better game.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
It's a really tough call. Park is more skilled, but Kyle seemed unflappable out there and doesn't make mistakes. I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Unbelievably to me was how Kempt stayed in the pocket. Seemed Park was scrambling even when he didn’t need to last week and that caused many problems.
The amount of pressure Park faced wasn't even comparable. Park has been VERY good at hanging in the pocket in his career up until the Texas game after he got sacked twice on the first drive.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Why would you choose Kempt over a 100% healthy Park? Because he "seems different"?

The reason why I would choose Kempt is that he played pretty damn well. He is 1-0 with his only game against #3 Oklahoma. The team played exceptional against Oklahoma. When you are riding a winning horse then you stick with it. Football is a TEAM sport.

It isn't about just physical talent that a person possesses. If it was, then Jay Cutler would be really successful. Ryan Leaf would be in the NFL Hall of Fame. The intangibles are important. That is what makes Joel Lanning so great wherever he plays. Linebacker is where he fits best though.

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Just because you can have as many walk-ons as you want, you can only work with a limited number of walk-on players. If the coaches did not see true talent and potential, they would not have had him as a walk-on, and instead would have gone with a true freshman that may have developed for the first year.

No, you take the best talent you can get regardless of how old they are as a walk on. Walk ons are practice guys, not developmental guys. You get one every once in a while that shines through, but you don't spend all of your time and effort trying to develop them. That's what scholarship athletes are for.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I would say if Park is 100% clean and committed I would play him. But I'd make him piss test every other day, and if he bats an eye at that, he's gone.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cytasticlone