Stupid logo hate thread

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I went into Cy's Locker Room and wanted to spend money on Iowa State clothes. I need a new hoodie for fall and winter. I left with nothing.

I love Iowa State but it's amazing how they just...don't...get it. The "new" logos of the past two decades have been awful. The best ISU clothing I've seen in a long time is from American Eagle. AMERICAN EFFING EAGLE.

https://www.ae.com/shop-by-school-iowa-state-cyclones/tailgate/s-cat/8070054?cm=sUS-cUSD

If it makes you feel any better, this is because AE bought a company, founded by an ISU grad, that makes vintage-style clothing.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
If it makes you feel any better, this is because AE bought a company, founded by an ISU grad, that makes vintage-style clothing.

This is correct. AE bought Tailgate, which was founded by Todd Snyder (ToddSnyderNY.com).

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Agree on Cy's Locker Room, there is a lot of terrible gear there. I've had the best luck at Scheels and the Memorial Union University Bookstore. Look how clean a two color design can look...Less is more.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    26.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
Couldn't agree more. Stopping trying to make 2 different shades of red in one logo work together, its never going to work.

Agree on Cy's Locker Room, there is a lot of terrible gear there. I've had the best luck at Scheels and the Memorial Union University Bookstore. Look how clean a two color design can look...Less is more.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The I-State logo is infinitely better than this and has grown into a respectable logo, performance on the football field notwithstanding.

I go to Fanatics for all of my sports gear. Sure, it's a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you don't want to spend more than $20 for a shirt, you're going to get a **** shirt with bad colors that will likely shrink.

In that sense, the new logo and **** merchandise are a perfect match.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The I-State logo is infinitely better than this and has grown into a respectable logo, performance on the football field notwithstanding.

I go to Fanatics for all of my sports gear. Sure, it's a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you don't want to spend more than $20 for a shirt, you're going to get a **** shirt with bad colors that will likely shrink.

In that sense, the new logo and **** merchandise are a perfect match.

The I-State logo is better as long as they leave it as an outline like on the all white unis this year or a single color. The whole multi color/shade 3D look is bad. That's part of what is terrible about this tornadoish, pizza slice turd 2nd logo, too many colors put together and trying to make it all 3D and overdone. All of these other alternatives that others are designing look better because they are simplified and look classic and timeless, they aren't going to look tired like an avocado fridge in a few years.
I will say it again all the best and longest running that still look good logos are simple and classic not overdone 3D multi color monstrosities. I can think of so many college logos that have been around for 50 years that still look good today, and all of them are classic and simple 1 or 2 colors. Not to mention primary and multiple secondary from the same school all the same, simple, classic, timeless.
I've never been a fan of the I-State logo, simply because we are Iowa State not I-State, and it just never looked good, until it was simplified on the white unis. That looks decent, and the whole Iowa State vs I-State argument never made that much sense considering Minnesota is M and so Is Michigan and everyone knows the difference in their logo's because they haven't changed in 100 years. Making the I-State logo a simple single color or just an outline looks good, trying to do all the shading and multi colors looks stupid.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I didn't read all of this thread, I started at p.22. What did I miss other than 'everybody' hates the new cyclone 2* logo?

I personally don't see all the hostility to it. I kind of like it (flame away). Do I think it could have been done better, yes. Am I glad they are listening to us and giving us a 'cyclone' logo again, seeing that this is who we are and is very unique to us, yes absolutely! Do I think a 1d, or 2d look would be better, I don't know. I kind of like the 3d look and 2 shades of cardinal myself, but can see the argument.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I do know this, debuting this new alt cyclone logo with the unis we wore against Texas, did not allow for much a positive response. 1. As many have mentioned, the gray pants just do not match well with the current cardinal jersey and 1d, or one color sh stripes, too mismatched (do not like this combo; next year could be much better). 2. Some just don't like the gray, no matter what. 3. We lost.

So, if a person finds fault w/ the new logo, it is exacerbated by the above. Let's see how it might look w/ all cardinal, or maybe cardinal/cardinal/gold. It definitely would not look as bad, IMO.

Here is the same cardinal/cardinal/gray (w/ a 2 color sh stripe, true gold/yellow), looks much better, but any design would work. We'll have to wait and see for next year. Cy Uniforms 2017  j21a - r r g   Cyclone hel Upd num Wh let Gold trim.jpg

And I do like the funnel/cyclone concepts from @amestoplease, although still not to where I would say, "Oh yeah, that's it!" They do look good though.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This may already have been mentioned but the new logo was designed by...
"The new Cyclone logo was created by Joe Bosack & Co. this summer to serve as a nickname logo for the athletics department. The I-State mark will continue to be Iowa State's primary athletics mark. The athletics department will also continue to include logos of Cy as a mascot mark in its portfolio."
http://www.cyclones.com/news/2017/9...ebuts-new-cyclone-mark-on-helmet-tonight.aspx

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
The plot thickens. We need get this figured out, because the perpetrator behind this new logo needs to get a flaming-upside-down-new-secondary-logo bag on on their porch during Halloween night...

EDIT: I'm only joking. Please do not put flaming poo on anyone's porch on Halloween night. And only pass out celery sticks, bean sprouts, baby carrots, and apple slices to those eager little trick-or-treaters....
celery sticks with peanut butter. Im down.ill need to inspect the peanut butter first however.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I went into Cy's Locker Room and wanted to spend money on Iowa State clothes. I need a new hoodie for fall and winter. I left with nothing.

I love Iowa State but it's amazing how they just...don't...get it. The "new" logos of the past two decades have been awful. The best ISU clothing I've seen in a long time is from American Eagle. AMERICAN EFFING EAGLE.

https://www.ae.com/shop-by-school-iowa-state-cyclones/tailgate/s-cat/8070054?cm=sUS-cUSD
holy ****, has my vote. leaning cy and football cy. IDK how it could get any better. however 89$ for american eagle....no thanks. TJ max for the win.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I still like the I-State logo used as a standalone logo. The challenge has been to make it blend on a helmet and that's where the beveling hasn't worked, other than its use on white background. (We still haven't seen a real-world application of it on a gold helmet).

The different cardinal shades were designed to give the 3-D "shadowing" effect, which is why it clashes when it's on a cardinal helmet and lacks contrast.

After loosening the branding rules a bit and allowing the one-color stenciling makes it more easily adapted.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I still like the I-State logo used as a standalone logo. The challenge has been to make it blend on a helmet and that's where the beveling hasn't worked, other than its use on white background. (We still haven't seen a real-world application of it on a gold helmet).

The different cardinal shades were designed to give the 3-D "shadowing" effect, which is why it clashes when it's on a cardinal helmet and lacks contrast.

After loosening the branding rules a bit and allowing the one-color stenciling makes it more easily adapted.
this guy....knows what he's talking about....

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
This may already have been mentioned but the new logo was designed by...
"The new Cyclone logo was created by Joe Bosack & Co. this summer to serve as a nickname logo for the athletics department. The I-State mark will continue to be Iowa State's primary athletics mark. The athletics department will also continue to include logos of Cy as a mascot mark in its portfolio."
http://www.cyclones.com/news/2017/9...ebuts-new-cyclone-mark-on-helmet-tonight.aspx

Not only did they go out of the university to get this design done, they went out of state. I know there are people working for ISU that would do a better job at designing this, there are even students that could do a better job. All of them at a fraction of the cost of this company. As much good as Pollard has done for the school, he sure does some stupid things at times.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
One of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

That upside down poo emogee / Bugle chip made cracked out tigerhawk look like the GD 101st Airborne logo.

And why? Just why?
The better question for me is WHY do we as a fan base care so much about the little dumb things and not the things that matter and bring us W’s? If you could convince me that this conversation would translate to a bowl game I am in... And know that branding is important in the recruiting world we live in, but that does not always translate to W’s either just look at recent history of the team we played last week, or recently Oregon....