NCAA BASKETBALL CORRUPTION SCHEME

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Arizona struck me as odd, too. Given UCLA's fall from the spotlight for so long, they seem a more likely candidate to me.

Oregon's recent rise seems more attributed to being on the forefront of the uniform craze and being tied to Nike. Mark Few has built that program up to what it is and has put it on his shoulders with a specific style of play.

Some coaches and programs just come across slimier than others. Arizona didn't fit the mold, so I'll blame my own naivety I guess.

Yeah, Oregon, while rising quickly, didn't have an obvious recruiting bubble. A team like them cheating looks like Ole Miss. Oregon has a lot of money and really good football coaches with a great marketing strategy. Oh, and that one football coach was on the cutting edge of offense before anyone knew how the hell to stop his attack.

Not that they haven't cheated. I just think you make a case for natural building there. Ole Miss, you couldn't.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
A million dollars? Is that even possible? That seems like an insane amount of money, even for the top recruits.

Why not? He was billed as the next superstar. With a few shoe companies bidding on him who knows what's possible.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Question: Will this thing be like the housing crisis where the banks were too big to let fail? Is there just going to be so much going on that the NCAA just has to basically give blanket pardons and tell them not to do it again in their big dad voice. Then, in 5 years they can start doing it again?

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah, Oregon, while rising quickly, didn't have an obvious recruiting bubble. A team like them cheating looks like Ole Miss. Oregon has a lot of money and really good football coaches with a great marketing strategy. Oh, and that one football coach was on the cutting edge of offense before anyone knew how the hell to stop his attack.

Not that they haven't cheated. I just think you make a case for natural building there. Ole Miss, you couldn't.

I think the 5 star kid Louisville landed for 100 or 150K was favored to go to Oregon until Louisville magically landed him in June. Guess Adidas won the bidding war

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: cdface and aauummm

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I could see the NCAA slapping 'show clauses' on those that are implicated. It's going to be damn near impossible to penalize all the schools other than the most egregious like Louisville. Removing a good chunk of those people coupled with the IRS working the money side; I would hope that will minimize a lot of this garbage.

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
Glad the Bowlsby & co. decided not to listen to "Loudmouth of the South" David Boren and expand with an invite to Louisville. Wouldn't mind seeing ol Slick Rick lead out in handcuffs in the near future.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I wonder what the cut-off point is for these shoe company subsidies, just 5 stars? The reason I ask is if it would go down to the level of Darius McNeal. I if it does, I can get a good idea how his AAU coaches move to Cal changed his "value" in recruiting terms from where is below the radar for this scheme, but his coach's change raised his value to whoever is handling Cal. I sure hope it is not that level of a problem, if it is, I hope they kill off the AAU system in place today.

We have heard in recruiting stories for many years about the shoe company ties to AAU programs and players from those teams generally going to the same shoe company college programs. The direct payments to the players families in exchange for selecting a certain school and the coaches accepting payments to direct the players to a shoe or management company is a lot different than an AAU program getting money to run a youth basketball program. The details of these charges fill out the circle of how the system worked. The school does not make the payment to the players, the shoe companies do, so the schools and head coaches have plausible deniability!

What have I have read so far in the detail charges tells me this truly is only the tip of the iceberg. They have wiretaps of the coaches and the shoe guys talking about what they have to pay to get the players to a certain school. Who decides at the shoe companies how much will be "invested" in each contracted school's recruiting? I sure hope the "AAU recruiting guys" we have had recently were clean.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
The way that this has to go is to make this legal BY PAYING PLAYERS BECAUSE THEY ARE EMPLOYEES. Make it legal and you get rid of the black market, in this case bribes, hookers, etc.

The interview with a SEC bagman article a few years go stated that paying players won't solve the issue, as there will be some players wanting more and some schools willing to pay more.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

When hookers cannot get the recruits you need, raise the stakes.

So you have these coaches at Louisville.

Basketball,
Guy is married so he bangs some woman in a restaurant, knocks her up, then pays for an abortion. His coaches hire strippers/hookers to try and sway recruits, and now his assistants are caught on tape acquiring funds to have players come to Louisville.

Football
On top that Jurich hires another guy who was banging some volleyball player at Arkansas, and arranged for a job for her in athletic department.

Ethics start at the top of the AD department, Jurich is the scum that school needs to remove.

• Informative
Reactions: cyputz

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
The way that this has to go is to make this legal BY PAYING PLAYERS BECAUSE THEY ARE EMPLOYEES. Make it legal and you get rid of the black market, in this case bribes, hookers, etc.

One issue with this is that it becomes easier to pay them more than what they are allocated. Then you have basically this same issue all over again against the universities paying way more than allowed to the athletes

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I echo hope that ISU had no involvement in this stuff.

As i recall Hoiberg hated recruiting. I want to believe that's due to his ethics preventing him from doing this crap while everyone else did, and not because he was having to do this stuff as well in order to compete and that made him hate it.

I also choose to believe that Prohm seems very above board, but with how widespread cheating is in NCAA mbb recruiting I'm going to hold off on champagne popping until this thing runs its full course.

We've had a couple all star recruiting assistant coaches ourselves.