NCAA BASKETBALL CORRUPTION SCHEME

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm curious how Malik Newman plays into all of this. At one point he was the top player in his class and ended up at Mississippi State? Now he is at another Adidas school, Kansas.

Reactions: Lamoni

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
During MBB season, Jake Sullivan and Jess Settles were on KXNO and mentioned these issues going on in the AAU programs.

I believe Jake's AAU team that he played on was sponsored by Adidas, but he went to Iowa State, which is a Nike school. I think going to Iowa State upset some of his AAU coaches.

Someone who might remember that story better can correct me if necessary.

I wonder if you have it backwards? We weren't a Nike school when Jake got here.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
They aren't the main team on the West Coast. Arizona falls off for a decade and they are all but forgotten, UCLA does the same and the national conversation is on when the Bruins will be back. In my mind, they got after it because they want to be the team on the West Coast - unfortunately for them recency doesn't change much in that regard.

The difference in opinion here is that you have Arizona on the same level as Kansas, I don't.
since 1988, they have finished in the final AP poll 24 of those years. 22 of those in the top 17 or better, 20 in the top 15, 14 in the top 10.

Reactions: CyTwins

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
You also have to remember that this is just the criminal stuff we are seeing. FBI probably has tons of evidence on NCAA rules violations. Hopefully they turn it all over to the NCAA.

The Arizona guy is Miller's right hand man. He has coached with him for 11 years. You are telling me he didn't know what was going on? yeah right.

Here are the top recruits he's signed, according to 247:

Book Richardson.JPG

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
since 1988, they have finished in the final AP poll 24 of those years. 22 of those in the top 17 or better, 20 in the top 15, 14 in the top 10.

That's great and all and I applaud your dedication in looking that **** up, but it doesn't change the fact that they have one national championship and it happened 20 years ago. Great program, but not the program of the West.

If you think about it, Arizona has been a strong program for a long time yet you still don't hear all that much about them. UCLA has one pain in the ass dad and it takes over every conversation in the world of college basketball. While I understand how insignificant that seems, it really does say a lot about the pantheon of college hoops - especially out West.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Amazing how shoe companies would be running college basketball.

Is it really? Because this kind of corruption is a BIG chunk of the remaining US economy. The only thing that really surprised me is that the FBI actually did something and the NCAA had no clue. F*** the NCAA. How bad do they look now?

That and where in the heck are the UNLV coaches at on the list?

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Evans joined the Oklahoma State staff last season and was promoted to associate head coach and recruiting coordinator for the upcoming season. He coached previously at South Carolina and Kansas State. He averaged 8.5 points as a senior for Drake in 2000-01.

And sued Drake because he couldn't make a 2.0 GPA and was concerned it was going to hurt his NBA chances.

Keith Murphy‏Verified account @MurphyKeith 55m55 minutes ago
Lamont Evans once sued Drake for suspending him over not having 2.0 GPA and hurting pro career chances. h/t @mtb002
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_5f9e754d-7473-5f3f-99a8-a86429213a4d.html

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Is it really? Because this kind of corruption is a BIG chunk of the remaining US economy. The only thing that really surprised me is that the FBI actually did something and the NCAA had no clue. F*** the NCAA. How bad do they look now?

It's not really that the NCAA had no clue. They probably know but they aren't an enforcement agency and do not have the ability to provide a proper investigation (subpoena power) and really don't have a way to enforce what they would find.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
It's not really that the NCAA had no clue. They probably know but they aren't an enforcement agency and do not have the ability to provide a proper investigation (subpoena power) and really don't have a way to enforce what they would find.

Exactly, NCAA doesn't have anywhere near the power and authority to conduct proper investigations into these kind of things. They rely on people giving them information.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

I am so tired of seeing this. The NCAA does not hold the power the FBI does. The FBI used wiretaps and undercover agents to find these things out.

The NCAA needs a willing person to talk to them. And if they want to interview someone, that person can lie all day long and if NCAA doesn't have proof its a lie, well it can't do anything. And it can't even force some parties to talk to them.

The FBI can subpoena you and if you lie to them, its perjury.

And so much of this shady business is happening in the AAU circuit. Where the NCAA holds now power.

The NCAA isn't a great establishment, but they only have so much power.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Exactly, NCAA doesn't have anywhere near the power and authority to conduct proper investigations into these kind of things. They rely on people giving them information.

And they're not really looking for it.