RECRUITING: Iowa State hosting Jalen Suggs on unofficial visit next month

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
That's 15 years (and a lot of concussion research) ago, though. I'm not condemning it, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Oh no, I agree, from our perspective it makes total sense. But I can just think about me as a high school kid, if I was the star of both my football and basketball team since I was a freshman, would I want to stop? I mean, I wasn't a top 10 prospect in the nation, but no kid wants to give up that ability in high school. If I had to guess, I think he does stop playing football in high school at some point as he realizes how big of an opportunity he has in basketball, but ya never know the mind of a 16-18 year old kid.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
Is it still resctricted to 5 officials a year? As in, his five officials for this year (his soph season) are Iowa St, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Notre Dame? If so, interesting list...

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I can't for the life of me figure out why a kid with a chance to get a full-ride scholarship playing high level basketball, let alone an almost guarantee at playing pro basketball, would risk that by messing around with football.

Freddy played on his Ames High team right through his senior year. And they weren't even any good.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Is it still resctricted to 5 officials a year? As in, his five officials for this year (his soph season) are Iowa St, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Notre Dame? If so, interesting list...

I think they’re all unofficial, which would explain them all being in the Midwest.

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013
The quote basically said we are getting them on campus. I was basically saying Iowa is getting them on also. We have to close

He's also visiting Kansas, who is a conference opponent and a bigger basketball rival. But you didn't. You chose Iowa. Why is that? Seems some Cyclone fans still have an inferiority complex to the Hawks. Sad

Last edited:

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
He's also visiting Kansas, who is a conference opponent and a bigger basketball rival. But you didn't. You chose Iowa. Why is that? Seems some Cyclone fans still have an inferiority complex to the Hawks. Sad

It's called a rivalry, especially when both are going after the same recruit. Even if we don't land him, no Cyclone fan wants him to go to Iowa instead, especially since he would then play against us and possibly help Iowa win. I doubt anyone has an "inferiority complex" when comparing our program to Iowa's.

Reactions: seattleCy

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It's called a rivalry, especially when both are going after the same recruit. Even if we don't land him, no Cyclone fan wants him to go to Iowa instead, especially since he would then play against us and possibly help Iowa win. I doubt anyone has an "inferiority complex" when comparing our program to Iowa's.
We aren't going after the same recruit. Iowa will not be in on Jalen Suggs much longer. He's just doing his due diligence in seeing the schools that have interest in him, within a reasonable area from home, while he still has a wide open recruitment.

Last edited:

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Freddy played on his Ames High team right through his senior year. And they weren't even any good.

He also had a big time offer from either Arizona or Arizona State to play QB in football. I seem to remember NE was recruiting him as well.