New KU stadium renderings

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Short of building a new arena what do you propose?

The brutalist architecture is terrible form the outside but on game days the interior is just fine.
1. Hilton needs more than the one west side elevator from the ground floor to the concourse, for the handicapped and elderly. More like three? It's a joke.
2. An atrium on at south entrance.
3. The ceiling is in bad need of repair/replacing. Just look up sometime.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
New stadium renderings just MIGHT distract KU crowd long enough for them to overlook the pummeling they are going to get from WVU today.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Short of building a new arena what do you propose?

The brutalist architecture is terrible form the outside but on game days the interior is just fine.
I love the brutalist architecture. There's a mystique about it on a wintry day; the sense that real battles are fought inside the coliseum. And yeah the inside is fine, so what's not to like?
Fun fact: it was originally supposed to be shaped like an ark.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I love the brutalist architecture. There's a mystique about it on a wintry day; the sense that real battles are fought inside the coliseum. And yeah the inside is fine, so what's not to like?

That would have been useful a couple of time s when it flooded!

But why was that even a consideration?

• Winner
Reactions: surly

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
KU has the fanbase to support that, but will they ever be lured to the stadium with a team that has talent?

Step 1 to get better recruits is to upgrade facilities, so this should help, but that program has a LONGGGGG ways to go.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

That would have been useful a couple of time s when it flooded!

But why was that even a consideration?

I had heard that it was more like an inverted salad bowl but the problem was when they put the model in a wind tunnel it appeared that it would become airborne in about an 80 mph wind.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Found it. Not inverted. I could see how someone would say this looks like an ark. I could also see how heavy straight line winds could be a problem.

635859519934841319-HiltonRendering.jpg

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...old-photos-every-cyclone-should-see/77478418/

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Ku fans have shown they will support a good football program. When they're bad, however, metropolitans quickly find other things to do with their change, including the Chiefs and Royals. Ku depends heavily on souls venturing out from the KC burbs. That just doesn't happen when the program sucks the life out of itself. The stadium renovation is necessary but only because it insures a competitive venue, nothing else. See Minnesota and Baylor.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Clones123

May 5, 2016
Des Moines, IA
Was watching the highlights from the WVU vs KU game and noticed a new addition to the stadium.... TARPS!!! Granted they're not Baylor sized, but they have them behind their north endzone. They likely won't be needing that renovation any time soon!

EDIT: Found a picture
image_handler.aspx

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron