SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
b3ot9d.jpg

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
So can someone help me understand how the Cubs didn't clinch the division with that win? They have a 6 game lead over the Brewers with 6 games left to play. The Cubs won the season series against the Brewers so wouldn't the Cubs win the tiebreaker if somehow they go 0-6 and the Brewers go 6-0? Or is there some random tiebreaker I don't know about?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
So can someone help me understand how the Cubs didn't clinch the division with that win? They have a 6 game lead over the Brewers with 6 games left to play. The Cubs won the season series against the Brewers so wouldn't the Cubs win the tiebreaker if somehow they go 0-6 and the Brewers go 6-0? Or is there some random tiebreaker I don't know about?
There would be a one game playoff to determine the division. No such thing as tie breakers for playoff spots.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Pretty sure, in baseball, the only thing the tie-breaker decides is who has home field in a one game playoff if two teams finish the season with identical records.

The Cubs were in one of these games in 1998 against the Giants. Game was played at Wrigley, and the Cubs won (good old Rod Beck with the heart attack save...Giants scored all of their runs in the 9th). If I'm not mistaken, Neifi Perez hit a walk off home run for the Rockies against the Giants earlier in the day on the last day of the regular season, giving the Cubs a chance to tie their record. They did, and went on to beat them on the one game playoff. From there, they went on to play the Braves and got swept.

EDIT: After researching, the Cubs got home field for game 163 by winning a coin flip. Kinda lame there, but whatever.

Link below talks a little about the Neifi Perez game. He was my favorite player in '98:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mc...p/2013/9/30/4787816/giants-cubs-game-163-1998

Last edited:

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
There would be a one game playoff to determine the division. No such thing as tie breakers for playoff spots.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. It seems odd that head-to-head would just be completely disregarded. Oh well, Cubs will clinch tomorrow anyways!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron