National One Hit Wonder Day

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Good Girls Don't was the follow up to My Sharona and charted at 11 on the Billboard charts.
And I much prefer it.

I had forgotten that one. I guess I failed the one-hit test. I like them both.

p.s. I looked up Dancing in the Moonlight and you were right about that too: 1972. I just don't remember it playing then.

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
A few faves from different eras:

And always the right answer to this question:

Could be wrong......but I think "The Sun Always Shines on TV" keeps a-ha from qualifying as a one hit wonder. IMO.....it's the best they put out.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I had forgotten that one. I guess I failed the one-hit test. I like them both.

p.s. I looked up Dancing in the Moonlight and you were right about that too: 1972. I just don't remember it playing then.
Dancing in the Moonlight was awesome

Reactions: MeanDean

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
They put a cut-out 45 on the back of a cereal box of that song, when I was a kid. I think it might've been Honeycombs, but wouldn't swear to it. Played it on my close-and-play record player. It got scratched up pretty fast, though.

I had the cereal-box 45 of it, too! I was thinking it was Super Sugar Crisp (pre-"Golden Crisp" days), but maybe all pre-sweetened Post cereal brands did it.

And, like you, my copy got mangled quite quickly. Cardboard doesn't hold up well to too many listens.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Props on the Wild Cherry. That was big time for ISU football warmups in the day.

---> There's our new Entrance Song! :)

But have to call foul on the Archies. Technically not a one hit wonder. I remember Bang Shang A Lang and Jingle Jangle. I ONLY remember Bang Shanga Lang because it was played on Sirius not too long ago. Possibly one of the count down shows. But I definitely remember Jingle Jangle.

I agree, Archies as one-hit is cheating a bit. "Bang.." was top 25 and "Jingle Jangle" reached 10th in U.S. (#1 in Canada). ... I included Sugar Sugar in the thread since I still think it casts a big shadow over the other hits.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I had the cereal-box 45 of it, too! I was thinking it was Super Sugar Crisp (pre-"Golden Crisp" days), but maybe all pre-sweetened Post cereal brands did it.

And, like you, my copy got mangled quite quickly. Cardboard doesn't hold up well to too many listens.
That would've been my second cereal pick -- I was waffling between the two, so you could very well be right with the SUPER sugar crisp. Kind of funny how all of a sudden sugar was a bad word.

Reactions: cyclones500

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
That would've been my second cereal pick -- I was waffling between the two, so you could very well be right with the SUPER sugar crisp. Kind of funny how all of a sudden sugar was a bad word.
We had a sugar bowl on the table. You would pour a bowl of cereal, sprinkle a spoon full of sugar on it then add your milk.

Last edited: