How do you know you're not dreaming?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
1. I'm at school. Usually ISU (I graduated in 80 so not like a recent stimulus). I realize I've been not attending a class all quarter and now it's time for finals and I have no idea of the subject matter.

Yes!!! I have a reoccurring nightmare where I'm back in school and realize near the end of the semester there's a class I've completely forgotten to attend since about week 1.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I often hear a soft tapping above me on the ceiling--slow but rhythmic--right before I fall asleep. It's always slightly to my left and it's occurred since I was 12 years old, no matter what house or apartment I live in.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The weirdest thing happened to me last night while I was asleep.

I had a dream that was pretty awful. I woke up because of it...or at least I thought I did.

When I "woke up", my wife wasn't in bed, so I went to look for her. Found her sleeping in our daughter's room, which isn't abnormal. Doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen if my daughter wakes up in the middle of the night. Hold on a second though...the room wasn't right...wasn't the right color, layout was all wrong, etc. I went to check on my other daughter, and I couldn't find her room, which is literally right next to ours. It wasn't there and she was nowhere to be found. I was obviously still asleep, and this was distressing again, so I woke up.

Nope! I had not woken up again. Everything looked normal, but something was again just not right.

This happened about 6 times. Each time I felt as though I really had woken up. It was dark, I was in my bed, my wife would be by my side sometimes, other times not. Each time, I would get out of bed, and something was off.

Finally, I knew I was dreaming the whole time and not waking up. I tried to yell. I could "hear" myself making sounds, but couldn't wake up.

Finally, my wife did wake me...asked if I was OK. I was in a pool of sweat, and I didn't know what to say to her. I wasn't sure if I was OK or not, because I wasn't convinced I was really awake.

It was horrifying, and it all happened in less than an hour of real time. Has this happened to anyone else?

sounds like a type of sleep paralysis. I've had it before where I've "awakened" twice in a dream or been trying to wake myself up but not quite to that extent. That's some Inception-type **** there!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yes!!! I have a reoccurring nightmare where I'm back in school and realize near the end of the semester there's a class I've completely forgotten to attend since about week 1.

Yeah, variations on that school dream is really a popular one. I saw some psychologist once say that this dream and others like it is how the brain copes with stress, or the brain causes dreams like this as some sort of training on how to deal with stress...

• Informative
Reactions: Peter and CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I often hear a soft tapping above me on the ceiling--slow but rhythmic--right before I fall asleep. It's always slightly to my left and it's occurred since I was 12 years old, no matter what house or apartment I live in.

Hmm... does your butt hurt when you wake up?

ZEGqCxQ.gif

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, variations on that school dream is really a popular one. I saw some psychologist once say that this dream and others like it is how the brain copes with stress, or the brain causes dreams like this as some sort of training on how to deal with stress...

school ones, tornadoes/natural disasters, or teeth falling out are usually my "I'm stressed" dreams.

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I rarely remember my dreams, and usually the main ones that are noticeable to me are little mini dreams while I'm falling asleep. Like I'm thinking about something, and then I think something nonsensical, and know that I'm about out.

However, I did have a dream the other night that I was in bed and had to get up, and I really didn't want to. So when I woke up and realized it was in the middle of the night, I was happy as hell.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I have this one all the time, both for high school and college. For college it's always I forgot about a Physics class and had to go beg my final project partners to let me participate, then wing the final exam. For high school it's normally I forgot to take an english or chem class, and I have to go back to school as my current self. Same with some of my college ones, I forgot to take 2 classes before graduation and have to go back another semester.

Reactions: khardbored

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I am an extremely lucid dreamer, I remember everything and can often create and control my dreams. I have all sorts of crazy stories.

But related to the OP, I have that happen a lot too where I'll wake up multiple times within the dream.

It's very rare when I can't wake myself up because I have such control over them, but once in awhile (like Friday night) I'll know I'm in the dream and can't escape so I'll yell for my wife. While doing it I can picture myself in bed screaming "babe wake me up" at the top of my lungs, she hears it as a mildly audible version of that which is terribly mumbled, like I'm doing it with my mouth closed.

Reactions: enisthemenace

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
I am an extremely lucid dreamer, I remember everything and can often create and control my dreams. I have all sorts of crazy stories.
I fall into this category as well...kinda the exact opposite of the OP. I don't have lucid dreams as often as I did when I was younger though, which is unfortunate. When I was a teenager, there were even a few occasions where I was able to continue a dream from where I previously left off. Those were fun.

Reactions: aauummm

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I fall into this category as well...kinda the exact opposite of the OP. I don't have lucid dreams as often as I did when I was younger though, which is unfortunate. When I was a teenager, there were even a few occasions where I was able to continue a dream from where I previously left off. Those were fun.

I still continue a dream where it previously left off, except when I overthink it and really really want to, then it fails. Speaking of lucid dreaming as a teenager, I could always put myself into sexytime situations, however I'd always wake up right before the girl got naked.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't like remembering dreams much. I have had two ambulance rides in my life and both I had dreams about (towns in correct and conversations after that happened) before them. I have had other deja vu real life from dreams also and all stunk.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Recently I had a really bad migraine so I took some of my wife's percocet from after childbirth before heading to bed. I was laying in bed vividly dreaming. It went on for what I felt like was a long time. It wasn't until my wife turned on the hallway lights that I realized I wasn't dreaming at all. I had my eyes open the entire time and was just really enjoying the Percocet. We dumped them the next day because I could totally see how opiod addictions get started.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have the college class dream a lot. I figure its penance for partying/being too hung over for class and ditching. Hey C's get degrees.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
This one is similar, but not scary like losing my kids.

I recently had a dream that I was panicked in because I had to poop really bad but there was no place to go where there weren't people and every stall I found was occupied. I eventually dreamt that I crapped myself and woke up, or so I thought I did. I woke in my dream to crapping in my bed. Ended up I woke again (for real) and ran to the bathroom checking my underwear the whole way. Luckily nothing happened in real life, I didn't even need to go. I did, however, sit down on the toilet just to be sure.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
One of my friend's son has sleep terrors once in a while where he will scream for his dad to help him. He did this one-night camping that something or something was after him. His dad got to him and woke him up telling him he was dreaming. The kid sat up, looked straight at him, and then turned to the window and pointed into the empty darkness saying, "there they are" and then laid back down and went to sleep. The kid never remembered any of this happening, but it was super creepy.

Reactions: Farnsworth