TV Advice

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
How dark is the basement? Unless you have a window shinning right in on it, I would go with an LG OLED, although 65" is about as big as they go at reasonable pricing. Massdrop.com frequently has the top of the line LG OLED B7A 65'' on sale at $2500. Most experts agree it's the best TV on the market right now.

I've got that exact TV and it's awesome.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I would double check exactly what size works best with the room you have. I've seen an 80" in a larger room and it felt like I was front row in a theater, was actually too big. Know it sounds dumb, but you can oversized a tv for a room.

A friend of mine has a 70" TV in a medium sized living room. The two main chairs are probably 8' back from the TV, 10' at the most. It's on the second time in my life I've thought "that TV is too big for this".

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Gonna throw this out there...I don't know if you happen to play video games on console, but if you do, you should check to see if it has a gaming mode that will bring the refresh rate down. Anything above 60 will cause input lag between the button push and what happens on the TV. I had that problem with my 55' 4K 120hz LG until I realized it had a mode that fixed that issue. It was incredibly frustrating.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
How dark is the basement? Unless you have a window shinning right in on it, I would go with an LG OLED, although 65" is about as big as they go at reasonable pricing. Massdrop.com frequently has the top of the line LG OLED B7A 65'' on sale at $2500. Most experts agree it's the best TV on the market right now.

If it's dark he should be thinking projector! Bigger picture and most likely cheaper.

Unless you're a gamer, I know there is some lag that bothers those guys

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Not super dark. It's a walkout so there's a slider from the main room where TV will be but there won't be direct sunlight hitting it. I'm rethinking and will look at 65 inch based on distance of main seating area from where it'll be mounted. Thanks.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Gonna throw this out there...I don't know if you happen to play video games on console, but if you do, you should check to see if it has a gaming mode that will bring the refresh rate down. Anything above 60 will cause input lag between the button push and what happens on the TV. I had that problem with my 55' 4K 120hz LG until I realized it had a mode that fixed that issue. It was incredibly frustrating.

Good to know, thanks.

Reactions: isu2014

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I bring up the natural lighting environment, because the top of the line OLED tv's aren't as bright as LCD displays backlit with LED's. The latest OLED's are brighter than before and can do infinite contrast because of true black, but technically aren't as bright as the premium LCD displays. This might possibly cause issues in very bright rooms.

Only one manufacturer (LG) makes OLED displays, but both Sony and Panasonic transitioned to OLED on their top of the line TV's. So in reality, a Sony or Panasonic OLED TV is an LG manufactured display. Samsung is pushing their separate technology called QLED, but true quantum dot displays are actually experimental. Samsung does make some great TV's too, but it's still essentially and LCD tv.

If you want to be blown away find a Best Buy that has the LG W7 model. It's .15 inches deep.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: isu2014 and pulse

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I bring up the natural lighting environment, because the top of the line OLED tv's aren't as bright as LCD displays backlit with LED's. The latest OLED's are brighter than before and can do infinite contrast because of true black, but technically aren't as bright as the premium LCD displays. This might possibly cause issues in very bright rooms.

Only one manufacturer (LG) makes OLED displays, but both Sony and Panasonic transitioned to OLED on their top of the line TV's. So in reality, a Sony or Panasonic OLED TV is an LG manufactured display. Samsung is pushing their separate technology called QLED, but true quantum dot displays are actually experimental. Samsung does make some great TV's too, but it's still essentially and LCD tv.

If you want to be blown away find a Best Buy that has the LG W7 model. It's .15 inches deep.

What's to disagree with on this post?

• Agree

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What's to disagree with on this post?

I will say, while you have some great points, sometimes the 'theyre all just samsung\lg\etc' panels posts sometimes miss that they are different grades of panel even if from the same manufacturer. Hell, even within the same model of TV sometimes you have to look out and find exactly what panel is in the TV has in it and get your reviews off that

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Very true. I honestly didn't realize newer TVs advertised 240 hz or above, thought that went away with plasma's.

https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

It's not native. LCD panels are all 60hz or 120hz (most are 60). Anything above that is the CPU on board doing work that causes really weird "soap opera effect" going on where the foreground and background seem to move at different speeds

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I will say, while you have some great points, sometimes the 'theyre all just samsung\lg\etc' panels posts sometimes miss that they are different grades of panel even if from the same manufacturer. Hell, even within the same model of TV sometimes you have to look out and find exactly what panel is in the TV has in it and get your reviews off that

I don't think Sony, Phillips, or Panasonic have verified their sets utilize an LG panel, but we do know LG has the only factory making OLED panels of that size. All the top end OLED sets have pretty good reviews along with Samsung and their QLED stuff. It's likely most users would be very happy with any of those offerings. When I viewed the Sony OLED, I thought it's colors looked better than the LG, but that was in a store. There is still some concern with long term burn in on the OLED technology. There are known limitations on edge lit LCD televesions and black levels.

Nobody was banking on OLED when LG made the commitment to go "all in" on that technology. Nothing is perfect. User interface is probably more important than what TV covers more colors. The last time I check Samsung was winning that battle on color space. I wasn't impressed with off-angle viewing on the Samsung sets.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
60 will work for you since the big ten is slow and ploddy. If you want to watch the big XII, need to upgrade a couple notches.

Not so fast there.......... I heard Kirk Ferentz was clocked at 247 gum chomps per minute during the Penn St game Saturday night. If you want that in HD you might need to step up your specs.

• Agree