MONDAY MUSINGS: Will this time be different?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Enjoyed your take on that, CW. Good 'write'!

Obviously this is game game we'd love to have. Do I think we can beat Texas, "yes". But we will have to play a great game in all aspects, and Texas will have to make some mistakes. If we lose this one, I will not be deterred into thinking, Oh no, here we go again.

Hopefully, if we do lose, we will play a great game anyway. I am not one to usually say that, because I love to win (see Iowa, that one was tough). But I sense and feel a change in the culture at ISU, and am seeing enough improvement so far under CMC regime, that it feels different this time. It will not deter my positive outlook for the direction of this program if we do lose this game.

With that said, ISU 31 Texas 24! But we will need 2 turnovers to do it.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Maybe it is the history of nut kicks, but I just have a terrible feeling about this game.

I don't have a bad feeling but I sure can't be confident because just about every time I allow myself to feel good, the nut kick factor comes into play.

This game has nut cup classic written all over it. I expect a loss. The unknown is the crazy new way we find to get it done, and whether or not we get a new apology letter for the wall.

And this is the most frustrating part of being a Cyclone...the fact that no matter the lead, or how good we look at any point in the game, the realist in you always has the feeling that you're going to have your still beating heart ripped out of your chest once again. I don't WANT to be that kind of fan, but until I see some killer instinct or ability to finish off good teams, I just can't get my hopes up any more.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
CF before games:

zgKPrr2.jpg

CF after games:

8ij5Bb0.jpg

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
This game has nut cup classic written all over it. I expect a loss. The unknown is the crazy new way we find to get it done, and whether or not we get a new apology letter for the wall.
Ooooh there is something we haven't received in a while. It is about time we get another. Why not this week?

• Friendly
Reactions: bstegs

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I'm a little nervous.

The coach and team have a lot to prove on a big stage, I want to believe they're ready

cystate1

Sep 8, 2017
ISU needs to get off to a good start even or lead after 1st qtr will be huge, ISU- D needs to get stops on 3rd down and take care of the ball on offense... place will be rockin get after them early Cyclones!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Our guy is 15 yards the other direction (with the ball) and they blow the whistle because the Texas guy was "down" and then amend it later to "forward progress was called," which it was not, and not something you can review in replay.

**** the Big 12 refs. Everything about them.

Not to dwell too much on near misses, but I was at that game and I was AMAZED at how the ball spotting for ISU plays was always 1/2 to a full yard short of where they should have been. Texas spots were for the most part right on or generous. I estimate ISU was shorted at least 30 yards due to officials' ball spotting in that game.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Anybody who has been a Cyclone football fan for awhile is right to approach these "program defining" games with trepidation.

I will never forget the Seneca team rolling into Norman ranked. I really thought, even with my entire fan history telling me otherwise, that ISU was prepared to launch the program forward that day.

Nope.

Here's to my fan cynicism being totally wrong for once Thursday night.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Yep. It's time. Games like the OSU shocker or the Nebraska "So Proud" stunner are great fun, but instead of a catch lightning in the bottle game, we need a true home-underdog-play-with-our-hair-on-fire game for 60 minutes and beat the will out of UT.

Tech last year was a great example. We physically dominated them and they basically quit before halftime. They could not wait to get out of the cold. We need that effort Thursday night.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I also remember a game against A&M, maybe 4-0, late 90's (???) we were supposed to be competitive and got ass pounded. Danny Mac era. Just add it to the collection of "Cyclone Fans get hopes dashed/Nut Cup Specials" list..

Last edited:

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Maybe it is the history of nut kicks, but I just have a terrible feeling about this game.

I know what you mean. It will take 2+ years of positive things for this to start to fade away imo. I believe we can win this and should win this since Texas can’t seem to find how to use their talented roster.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I also remember a game against A&M, maybe 4-0, late 90's (???) we were supposed to be competitive and got ass pounded. Danny Mac era. Just add it to the collection of "Cyclone Fans get hopes dashed/Nut Cup Specials" list..
I remember that game. Such a disappointing feeling