Texas Opens as a 4.5 Point Favorite

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
I'm having a hard time seeing a scenario where Texas' offense can score enough points to win. Against Power 5 competition this year, their offense is averaging 15 ppg in regulation. They lost one starting OL against SJSU and their best OL (LT Conner Williams) against USC. Consequently, their run game pretty woeful right now and pass pro has some questions marks. Their QB situation is also up in the air: does Soph Shane Buechele start coming off an injury to his throwing shoulder? Or does true Frosh Sam Ehlinger get the nod, with his higher upside but greater propensity for mistakes? Do both play? They have one receiver who is a true playmaker (6'6" Collin Johnson). The Cyclones DL and LB have been reasonably good against the run this year and have had some success getting to the QB. Of course, our DBs have had some issues this season with guys being out of position and getting beat deep, issues Texas will certainly attempt to exploit. But when you add up their work-in-progress OL, flaccid run game, unsure QB situation and dearth of playmakers on offense, how many points can we really expect them to score?

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Easy, supposedly 15 dollar tix on stub hub. FB has $25 tix that turn into 31 after ticket master fees. Wouldn't be surprised if the AD runs some type of flash sale this week. Last night I thought there were some $30 tix in ticket exchange.

Was just talking about this. Plenty still on The ISU exchange/Ticketmaster for face value. Need to get some people in those seats.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I'm having a hard time seeing a scenario where Texas' offense can score enough points to win. Against Power 5 competition this year, their offense is averaging 15 ppg in regulation. They lost one starting OL against SJSU and their best OL (LT Conner Williams) against USC. Consequently, their run game pretty woeful right now and pass pro has some questions marks. Their QB situation is also up in the air: does Soph Shane Buechele start coming off an injury to his throwing shoulder? Or does true Frosh Sam Ehlinger get the nod, with his higher upside but greater propensity for mistakes? Do both play? They have one receiver who is a true playmaker (6'6" Collin Johnson). The Cyclones DL and LB have been reasonably good against the run this year and have had some success getting to the QB. Of course, our DBs have had some issues this season with guys being out of position and getting beat deep, issues Texas will certainly attempt to exploit. But when you add up their work-in-progress OL, flaccid run game, unsure QB situation and dearth of playmakers on offense, how many points can we really expect them to score?
Well thought out post. I think the problem will be our ability to handle their front 7. Last year their DL destroyed us ... mostly the same guys. Their DL is way better than eiu. I don't think we can score a lot, and I really don't trust our defense. We have a chance to win, no doubt. Our defense will need to really step up, because I doubt we score a lot. I expect a close game, with the winner getting 24 points. To me it is an absolute toss up- hope we win.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm not touching this one. Although I think it will be a close game, I could see anything from a comfortable ISU win to a UT blowout.

I can't wait for Thursday.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I'm not touching this one. Although I think it will be a close game, I could see anything from a comfortable ISU win to a UT blowout.

Early money apparently betting on Texas. Spread up to 5.5

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
With a game like Texas/Iowa State, you have to figure the Texas line will get inflated by 2-4 points just because of name. Iowa State is a much better point spread play than Texas, no doubt, but I wouldn't touch this game with my own money, maybe with @ChrisMWilliams money I'd put $100 on ISU +5.5. :)

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Should be a very interesting game. I don't think we know enough about either team to make a good prediction at this point. Doubt Iowa State gets into the 40's on this one, but it sure would be fun.

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016

Agreed. So tough to try and figure out where both teams are right now early in the season.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Texas is going to try to do exactly what they did last year. They will try to run Chris Warren right down ISU's throats.

I remember Charlie Strong being quoted saying something along the lines of "we ran two plays the entire second half".

They basically imposed their will and I assume they'll try to do the same and go play action off of it for their big plays.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Texas is going to try to do exactly what they did last year. They will try to run Chris Warren right down ISU's throats.

I remember Charlie Strong being quoted saying something along the lines of "we ran two plays the entire second half".

They basically imposed their will and I assume they'll try to do the same and go play action off of it for their big plays.

I hope they do try to run straight at ISU. The DL on this year's team is light years better than last year, especially if they can get J. Johnson back for more depth. The linebackers are looking better than the first couple games too. Can't believe they will come out running with their lack of success against USC, and being down two starters on the OL.

Honestly, I am way more concerned about their defense and return teams. They have score a lot of the Longhorns points this year.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
They lost their best player overall, supposedly, their OT. That can't hurt or chances.