TV Advice

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Putting finishing touches on a finished basement. Have a nice big spot carved out for a wall mounted TV. Looking at getting either a 70 or 75 inch. What specs do I need to focus on to make sure when watching sports it avoids lag and handles fast motion well? Any and all educated insights appreciated.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Putting finishing touches on a finished basement. Have a nice big spot carved out for a wall mounted TV. Looking at getting either a 70 or 75 inch. What specs do I need to focus on to make sure when watching sports it avoids lag and handles fast motion well? Any and all educated insights appreciated.

Refresh rate is big.

• Agree
Reactions: ZB4CY and isu2014

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Check out rtings.com one of the tests they run is how well a TV handles motion and they give a score based on how well a TV is for different usages one of them being Sports.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
CNET also has good reviews, with pros and cons for TVs. Viewing angle can be tricky, especially with LED tvs. LED tvs will start to distort color and brightness the farther from center you get. OLED tvs don't have the same viewing angle issues. Screen glare is one other thing to remember. Know where you light sources are and how they will reflect off the screen. Nothing sucks more then to have your favorite chair be right in line with the reflection angle of a lamp.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yea refresh rate is the only thing that matters when talking sports. However most broadcasts are at the 60 FPS or 60hz range. So you need a minimum of 60hz but I would go to 120hz personally because the broadcast companies are on the verge of that. The main issue is 120hz 4k TV is pretty expensive so it depends on your budget

• Disagree
Reactions: isu2014

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yea refresh rate is the only thing that matters when talking sports. However most broadcasts are at the 60 FPS or 60hz range. So you need a minimum of 60hz but I would go to 120hz personally because the broadcast companies are on the verge of that. The main issue is 120hz 4k TV is pretty expensive so it depends on your budget

Ok, I've seen 120hz in the price range I'm looking at but wasn't sure with a 70-75 inch screen if that would be good enough or if I'd need to find something at 240.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ok, I've seen 120hz in the price range I'm looking at but wasn't sure with a 70-75 inch screen if that would be good enough or if I'd need to find something at 240.

60 will work for you since the big ten is slow and ploddy. If you want to watch the big XII, need to upgrade a couple notches.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Haha, I was waiting for that.

Had to go there, or I could get a time out for being nice to a hawk. Go to a store like Best Buy on a Saturday or Sunday and watch several tvs and see which ones seem to give you the best picture. Write down the techs of those tvs and see what is common and that will give you an idea what to zero in on.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm spending no less than $20k so thanks but...

I would double check exactly what size works best with the room you have. I've seen an 80" in a larger room and it felt like I was front row in a theater, was actually too big. Know it sounds dumb, but you can oversized a tv for a room.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Trailers have basements?

Reactions: Gonzo

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I would double check exactly what size works best with the room you have. I've seen an 80" in a larger room and it felt like I was front row in a theater, was actually too big. Know it sounds dumb, but you can oversized a tv for a room.

Yep, makes sense.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
How dark is the basement? Unless you have a window shinning right in on it, I would go with an LG OLED, although 65" is about as big as they go at reasonable pricing. Massdrop.com frequently has the top of the line LG OLED B7A 65'' on sale at $2500. Most experts agree it's the best TV on the market right now.

Help Support Us

Become a patron