MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
So Quintana is set to start today and Friday, Lester tomorrow and Saturday, Arrieta Tuesday and Sunday, and Hendricks on Thursday. Maddon has stated he really doesnt want to rest anyone, and without a day off, this rotation is pretty much set in stone from here on out.

Knowing that Game 1 of the NLDS is Thursday, Arrieta would effectively be out as the Game 1 starter unless we skip his start next Sunday. Do you want him starting Game 1 on 9 days rest?I also dont think you want Lester pitching in Wrigley with the way he is giving up homeruns, but at the same time, do you want Lester pitching Game 5 if it comes to that? Quintana has been good, but he has no postseason experience. Hendricks is rolling, but his home/away splits are nothing like they were last year, so I'm guessing Joe wants him pitching at home with the way he induces ground balls.

I guess it will probably come down to how Lester pitches in his next two games. If he pitches well, my guess is he gets the Game 1 start, with Arrieta going game 2. If Lester continues to proves he doesn't have it, probably skip Jakes start on Sunday and he goes Game 1 with Lester Game 2.

Just throw Jake a few innings and he'll be fine for game one. Lester shouldn't start before game 4.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Just throw Jake a few innings and he'll be fine for game one. Lester shouldn't start before game 4.

Id rather he start Game 2. I dont want Lester touching a game at Wrigley right now, especially in a potential elimination game.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
They won't be facing those pitchers, or if they do it will be for an inning or two, they'll be getting the Dodgers bench squad

It wont be an inning or two. They will be on pitch counts, but it wont be that low. Plus, they could still be fighting for homefield this weekend. Hill went 5 innings, 82 pitches on the last friday of the season last year and Kershaw pitched 7 innings, 82 pitches in the last Saturday...

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
It wont be an inning or two. They will be on pitch counts, but it wont be that low. Plus, they could still be fighting for homefield this weekend. Hill went 5 innings, 82 pitches on the last friday of the season last year and Kershaw pitched 7 innings, 82 pitches in the last Saturday...

Kershaw and Hill both were still coming back from DL stints last year and they won't be fighting for home field at that point

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Kershaw and Hill both were still coming back from DL stints last year and they won't be fighting for home field at that point

Kershaw came back last year about the same time as he did this year, and Hill DL stint was because of a blister, so it wouldnt make sense to work him more than needed. Fact is Dave Roberts doesnt rest his starters down the stretch, he didnt in 2015 either (other than Kershaw who pitched the final game of the year). He has had a chance to set the rotation going into the final week where he can let his guys go. Kershaw will pitch Friday, and have 6 days rest before starting Game 1.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Id rather he start Game 2. I dont want Lester touching a game at Wrigley right now, especially in a potential elimination game.

I'd personally prefer he start game 4 in the hopes that the Cubs can win the series 3-0. Lester has just been brutal lately. Hopefully he still has some postseason magic in him.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Where's DaHiltonHaus?

The Cubs win it all unless they go 0-7 or 1-6 their last 7 games, while the two teams we're competing against must go either undefeated or lose only one game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron