New 32 story residential tower, 9 screen theater proposed for downtown Des Moines

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Since the Fifth is residential, the floor to ceiling heights are lower than office floors. So while it will have more floors than the Ruan Center, it won't be quite as tall. The Ruan Center is 460 Feet compared to 452 feet for the Mandelbaum tower. It will have great impact on the skyline as will the Blackbird tower at about 375 ft.

• Informative
Reactions: jkclone

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Any idea what pricing will look like for these units? I'm thinking about relocating to DSM after the daughter graduates from high school, and downtown living would suit me just fine.

I don't know, surely there will be tiered pricing and options for size of units. The higher floors will be more expensive for sure.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Since the Fifth is residential, the floor to ceiling heights are lower than office floors. So while it will have more floors than the Ruan Center, it won't be quite as tall. The Ruan Center is 460 Feet compared to 452 feet for the Mandelbaum tower. It will have great impact on the skyline as will the Blackbird tower at about 375 ft.
Why are residential floors shorter than office floors

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The Mandelbaum Tower is now proposed at 40 stories, 452 feet. This will make it the 3rd tallest building in Iowa.

http://www.thefifthdsm.com

Holy crap - a glass tower that height would look amazing on the Des Moines skyline. Love it!

If only someday DSM would get a supertall... (as long as I'm dreaming: I'd like $10 million dollars, also)

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If you click on the link, make sure to stay on the page as it flashes to a different rendering every few seconds. There is one with how the building would look in the skyline when viewing from the Southeast.

Last edited:

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Any idea what pricing will look like for these units? I'm thinking about relocating to DSM after the daughter graduates from high school, and downtown living would suit me just fine.
My fiancee and I actually just got a place downtown and we did plenty of touring. The thing with a property like the one proposed is it'll have a definite premium. I could do some market research but I'd guess one beds would list for $1,500ish, two beds for $2,00ish, and threes up from there. This is a complete shot in the dark though and the comps running against this from my guess aren't really fit. I didn't look at the market for the high-rises but I could see what I'd find.

Reactions: harimad

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This thread is titled referring to the tower (now proposed at 39 stories) on Walnut ST near Court Ave (which is still very much alive) , but discussion was also around the 33 story tower (with the overhanging pool on the top floor) proposed a couple blocks west. Well, I believe reality finally set in and things are changing as of today (although details are very sketchy at this point);

636084229499624850-sw.obl.dusk2.jpg

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...wn-des-moines-tower-site-may-move/1016502001/

• Informative
Reactions: CYCLNST8

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
This thread is titled referring to the tower (now proposed at 39 stories) on Walnut ST near Court Ave (which is still very much alive) , but discussion was also around the 33 story tower (with the overhanging pool on the top floor) proposed a couple blocks west. Well, I believe reality finally set in and things are changing as of today (although details are very sketchy at this point);

636084229499624850-sw.obl.dusk2.jpg

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...wn-des-moines-tower-site-may-move/1016502001/
Saw this yesterday and am disappointed. The Kalidescope needs help but I have never really believed in Blackbird. This just seems like a sign to me they aren’t going to ever really do anything.

• Agree
Reactions: Freebird

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah I don't ever see the second tower happening....sadly. What they should do is tear down the kalidescope, put a new tower there and make the bottom few floors the food court/parking ect. Saw this type of building when I was in Charlotte and it was well received by locals and very practical.

At least the 5th is moving forward.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Agree, Blackbird never sounded serious about actually building. I'm pretty sure the Mandelbaum tower is still moving forward.

Not only wonder what Blackbird will do now, but what about EMC with their new property? I don't think they need more space for their own company/employees. Just try to develop it into commercial real estate?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Agree, Blackbird never sounded serious about actually building. I'm pretty sure the Mandelbaum tower is still moving forward.

Not only wonder what Blackbird will do now, but what about EMC with their new property? I don't think they need more space for their own company/employees. Just try to develop it into commercial real estate?

I've been doing some construction engineering estimates for the 5th, so I know for sure that's moving forward (at least with the demo for the parking garage).

I just hope EMC doesn't put a stupid 2 story building in a prime location for a highrise on 7th.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
FWIW, I have a friend who works in the city's Econ Development dept. He hasn't said much about this latest twist (because I assume he can't) but my sense is that it may end up turning out OK.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
EMC could build something pretty decent I think they are looking for an investment property for their portfolio not just an EMC office. Thinking like a mini 801 Grand.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
EMC could build something pretty decent I think they are looking for an investment property for their portfolio not just an EMC office. Thinking like a mini 801 Grand.

It's bee 27 years since 801 Grand. Would be cool to see someone top it in height, but its just so much cheaper to go to a suburb unless the city of Des Moines gives a huge tax break.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

IMO, if EMC was OK with a highrise across the street, Blackbird would be continuing with their plans for their 33 story tower. I think it is more likely EMC builds a 5 or 6 story office building for their use with (hopefully?) commercial space on the first level.

Principal put the kibash to a proposed 17 story highrise across from their corporate headquarters not long ago. I think EMC followed suit here. (not that I have any inside info).

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I heard the a tower is still going to happen, just a different location to the east.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I realize it is a little confusing since the thread has discussed two different proposed towers.

This update is to the one referenced in the thread title. The other, the Blackbird Tower, seems more iffy to me given lost their old location.

On this this tower (aka…The Fifth), looks like it lost a movie screen (now 8 vs 9) but up to 40 floors. Still luxury apartments, restaurant, plus a plush hotel and 24 hour art museum???

https://businessrecord.com/Content/...-to-Des-Moines-tower-development/-3/248/82367

Still remain skeptical on any tower in downtown until I see steel rising. So many things have to go right to make these happen.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
this is a big push in the right direction. I am more confident the 5th will get built now.

Status
Not open for further replies.