Who do you stop? (Cyclone Offense)

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If you're the Texas defensive coordinator and you have two weeks to prepare for our offense, are you loading up against Montgomery and our run game or do you sit back and force our O Line to beat the Texas defensive front 7?

Will we score 40+ again Thursday? I think we will

I'll add, we haven't started big 12 play 1-0 since 2002

Last edited:

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Texas passing defense is not good. Per www.teamrankings.com Texas is
  • 58th in opponent pass completion attempts at 57.9%
  • 72nd in opponent pass ypg at
    248.3 ypg
  • 89th in opponent yard per attempt at 7.8 ypa
And those numbers include a 59-0 win against a garbage San Jose St team.

I'd have to think that Texas DC Todd Orlando has to be concerned about how to account for our numerous weapons at receiver. Texas front 7 is good and has some speed. I think'd they'd probably take their chances containing DM with their d-line and linebackers and show some 5 and even 6 DB looks.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I would guess they'll try to blitz a bunch. Problem is, we'll just put an extra blocker or two in and will still have Lazard and Butler to throw to.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Their secondary is not that good. I dont see anyway they dont try to get constant pressure on Park, which no one has done well at yet this year. It will be interesting to see how Park reacts to a good amount of pressure.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Their secondary is not that good. I dont see anyway they dont try to get constant pressure on Park, which no one has done well at yet this year. It will be interesting to see how Park reacts to a good amount of pressure.

Our receivers are going to have to win their individual battles against their d backs. I actually feel most confident in Butlers ability to do this. My fear is they will sit back and still get some pressure with 4 or 5 rushing. Our receivers need to continue to prove they can make defenses pay in crucial situations. That means no dropping passes.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Our receivers are going to have to win their individual battles against their d backs. I actually feel most confident in Butlers ability to do this. My fear is they will sit back and still get some pressure with 4 or 5 rushing. Our receivers need to continue to prove they can make defenses pay in crucial situations. That means no dropping passes.

Could you imagine Parks stats if our receivers didnt drop passes?

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
It'll be how well Park, WRs read & take advantages of blitzes & the OL handling too. It'll be a blitz fest here on out in Big12

Last edited:
Reactions: tazclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't think TX is or should worry about DM. The guy is great, but ISU is just not going to run very well against teams until the OL gets better at pass blocking. I'm sure they are going to pay attention to him, but you can't sell out to stop ISU on the ground with the way Park can wing it.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Im not worried about their front 7. Iowa had probably the 2nd best front 7 they will face all year and Texas is not #1

Yeah Texas's front is better than Iowa. Iowa's front has actually been much worse that I thought they would be. In what little I have seen outside of ISU, I think our next two games will be the best front 7's we see all year.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Im not worried about their front 7. Iowa had probably the 2nd best front 7 they will face all year and Texas is not #1
Iowa's front 7 isn't even one of the best 5 we'll face.

We'll need the Oline to have their best game yet to have a chance

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Texas front 7 is better than Iowa's. Did you watch them against USC?

I did see the USC-Texas game. It was a little hard for me to figure out if USC's dreadful offensive performance was Texas front 7 being good or USC's oline underperforming. Having seen both Iowa's and Texas' front 7's in action, I think you could say that Texas may have more speed sideline to sideline, but they are not more physical than Iowa.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If I were going to try and stop our offense, I would definitely bring pressure. I tend to be aggressively minded on defense anyways but I think that's their best attribute. Choose your match ups wisely pertaining to heights and route running talent. make use of run blitz's on first and second down to limit Montgomery's output and depending on down and distance in 3rd down situations assuming ISU isn't running well sit back in cover 3 with man under neath. They have the athletes to do all that.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't think they'll have to concentrate on Montgomery much. Their front 7 is pretty darn good (much better than Iowa). Montgomery will do ok, but I don't see a huge game out of him, or him beating Texas on his own.

If we're going to knock off Texas, I think it will have to come mostly through the air. And if Texas can't cover our WR's, their only other choice is to try to pressure Park and not allow him any time to throw it. So Texas will likely blitz us a lot. Manning better have some plays drawn up to beat the blitz with a quick passing attack IMO.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
For those of you who have watched Texas, how does our defense match up against the UT offense? How correctable is our coverage problem from Akron until Thursday?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If I were going to try and stop our offense, I would definitely bring pressure. I tend to be aggressively minded on defense anyways but I think that's their best attribute. Choose your match ups wisely pertaining to heights and route running talent. make use of run blitz's on first and second down to limit Montgomery's output and depending on down and distance in 3rd down situations assuming ISU isn't running well sit back in cover 3 with man under neath. They have the athletes to do all that.

If Texas feels the need to blitz consistently, it means they're scared and we are going to win the game.

You don't blitz when you can win individual match ups. You send extra guys because your front 4 or 5 isn't getting the job done. Blitzing is risky. You leave yourself vulnerable on the back end to give up a big play. It's a risk you have to take when you're facing a team you know can drive down the field on you, so giving up a big play is a wash.

My worry is Texas getting pressure with 4 and dropping 7 into coverage. If they do that, we will get smoked.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If Texas feels the need to blitz consistently, it means they're scared and we are going to win the game.

You don't blitz when you can win individual match ups. You send extra guys because your front 4 or 5 isn't getting the job done. Blitzing is risky. You leave yourself vulnerable on the back end to give up a big play. It's a risk you have to take when you're facing a team you know can drive down the field on you, so giving up a big play is a wash.

My worry is Texas getting pressure with 4 and dropping 7 into coverage. If they do that, we will get smoked.
LSU disagrees, but like I said, I am aggressively minded when it comes to defense. If I have the athletes to compete I'm going to make you make the mistakes. You get burned sometimes, but that's the risk you take.

I tend to think Texas isn't great against pass because of technique and not lack athletic ability. Even against Maryland when they played poorly I was impressed with their athleticism.

I do think we will win this game for what it's worth. Texas hasn't convinced me they are 'turned around'.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

Texas only uses 3 down lineman. A 3-3-5. Similar to WV. Blitzing is how they bring pressure. They won't get pressure with their front four because they don't have a front four.

Tough defense to prepare for because you don't see it much, pressure comes from somewhere different every time, and the OL has to react. They try to keep the QB confused and uncomfortable.

Texas held USC to 1.9 YPC and got three sacks and Darnold looked confused mot of the game. He looked like ass and played scared.

Their LBs/ROV/NB will flow to the run game very well. They are susceptible to misdirection and working the edges. Best tackling teams we have faced.

Outside run game will be there and Montgomery will need to continue to break tackles. Short passing game will be a big key. WR screens and Butler/Ryen/ Butler need to come up big. USC got yards on the outside with the passing game and I think our WRs block better.

Montgomery in the passing game could be a huge factor

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron