(Lack of) Iowa Football Fan Support

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Here's the real question now that we're less than 12 hours before game time.... have they decided to hand out free condoms and nachos yet to anyone that buys a ticket today?

But seriously, does anyone think that we're nearing a tipping point soon with sports attendance in general? These teams are building nicer and nicer stadiums, making tons of expensive renovations, building athlete only dorms that pamper these athletes like crazy, etc, etc, etc.

It's just becoming WAY too expensive for people to justify supporting this arms race IMO. I think it's going to be a huge problem going forward. These schools are going to build these cathedrals, and in a few years they might be half full.

If people are using the excuse as cost not to go tonight when the secondary market is so cheap they're just looking for any reason not to go.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If people are using the excuse as cost not to go tonight when the secondary market is so cheap they're just looking for any reason not to go.

I wasn't necessarily speaking to just tonight's game, but just college football games in general going forward.

I guarantee you, there will likely be well over 71k fans tailgating in IC today, probably closer to 100k than 71k. But the stadium will not be full. A lot of people would rather just sit in the parking lot, watch it on their big screen, and keep partying.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I wasn't necessarily speaking to just tonight's game, but just college football games in general going forward.

I guarantee you, there will likely be well over 71k fans tailgating in IC today, probably closer to 100k than 71k. But the stadium will not be full. A lot of people would rather just sit in the parking lot, watch it on their big screen, and keep partying.

It's not just college sports. Did you see the home debut for the LA Chargers? I'm positive there were more people at our game at Akron.

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
You guys are ridiculous. Kinnick looked and sounded awesome. They got mad props all night.

We can be really annoying sometimes.

Agreed. I'm glad they lost at the last second but the people celebrating this game more than our victories are losers as there are a few of you on here. We don't have to even mention the Chokeyes to validate we have the most loyal fans in college sports but the losers feel they need to. Shape up or shop out, your call guys.

Sep 13, 2015
You guys have such great fans. People have been dogging you for years. Maybe the next time you have a home game on ABC, you will get a chance to prove it.

• Informative
Reactions: dosry5

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Iowa fans came to the game and were loud at times. Seemed a little subdued at the end of the game, but it was really hot. The general consensus that I got from the fan I talked to was that $95 for a crappy seat on a 85 degree night was just too high, which I would agree with. There were a lot of fans that thought they were going to get blown out too.

Actually a pretty good game if you didn't care who won.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53 and mkadl

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Kinnick looked great on TV. Odd it wasn't sold out earlier (was it sold out). My guess is that fans of Iowa know how fans of ISU felt a few weeks ago.
You mean lose to a team you're better than because the other team played well above themselves? No, they don't feel that.

Iowa fans are thrilled they had a close loss. It easily could have been a blowout.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: AltHawk and dosry5