Story on David Montgomery

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He have some kind of blood relationship with the Davis brothers?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I only hope we can watch him play with a good run/blocking Oline. With that he's unstoppable.

Can you imagine him running behind guys like KO, Haughton, Stephens, etc? Add Park, who should be at an all-conference level by the end of the year, and the material at WR, and the only thing missing is an Oline that can get push and to the 2nd level.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
He is a great leader by example and a great recruiting tool. I love how he has gotten guys to come along with him on weekends in the winter to do extra work.

It is amazing how many of these kids have overcome adversity in their lives, and have such a great appreciation of the opportunity they have been give at ISU.

Definitely could use a couple clones of DM on any team.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I can't even put into words how special this kid is. I believe he can be a starting RB in the NFL someday, but even more importantly than that.... no matter what he ends up doing with his life he's going to be extremely successful.

I don't know that I've ever seen the kind of leadership and drive from someone like David has, and he's only a sophomore. He just has that "it" factor that everyone always talks about. Very special individual.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
He leads the country with 36 forced missed tackles which is nine better than second place? Why haven't I heard this or do I live under a rock?

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I know he and Warren support each other, but I can't enjoy these without simultaneously feeling bad for Warren and wondering how he would've/will develop. His freshman year was *not nothing*, and now maybe he'll hardly play til graduation?

I'm bad at competition - I guess that explains why I played intramurals while others played varsity!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: khardbored

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I think I forgot in the off-season how good he is. Strength, brains, acceleration and great lateral movement. With Park and the passing game together with DM, the Clones have some weapons.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
David is special and will go far w/ his work ethic and talent. I sure hope to see him in the NFL someday and I think it could happen, long way to go, but love watching him, hearing about him, and he is a leader. Positive, and love how he is helping to change the culture for the good.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Saw him on a 2020 mock draft board.
, so there's that...

Imo I think we have more future NFL players on this roster than any single season before.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I know he and Warren support each other, but I can't enjoy these without simultaneously feeling bad for Warren and wondering how he would've/will develop. His freshman year was *not nothing*, and now maybe he'll hardly play til graduation?

I'm bad at competition - I guess that explains party of why I played internals while others played varsity!

Warren is really a puzzling situation. He's had plenty of opportunities to show he should be the #1 RB, but David has just out performed him at almost every turn.

Warren's freshman season feels like 5 years ago now. It's like he's not even the same player. He's a great #2 guy to have behind David, but there is quite a gap between the two. Warren does not have the same run blocking that he had his freshman year, it hasn't been very good this year at all, but David has been able to get his own yards all on his own, and Warren hasn't been able to do that.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Warren is really a puzzling situation. He's had plenty of opportunities to show he should be the #1 RB, but David has just out performed him at almost every turn.

Warren's freshman season feels like 5 years ago now. It's like he's not even the same player. He's a great #2 guy to have behind David, but there is quite a gap between the two. Warren does not have the same run blocking that he had his freshman year, it hasn't been very good this year at all, but David has been able to get his own yards all on his own, and Warren hasn't been able to do that.
Warren could be the kickoff returner. Whether he will be is up to him.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Warren just looks so timid when he runs now like he lacks confidence or something (as opposed to 2015). He is a pretty dang solid #2 RB though. I always root for him.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015

I agree about the run blocking. As Jeff Woody has noted, Warren is great at "pressing the hole", which means he has the patience and vision to let the play develop in front of him and, when that gap does open up, burst through for 5 yards before anyone gets a hand on him. However, this year's offensive line just hasn't yet created that many holes to press. I'm hoping the Oline play and offensive play calling mature to the point where they can take advantage of Warren's unique skill set. I'd really like to have a viable second option in the backfield to give opposing DC's more headaches and give DM a rest when needed.