Star Trek: Discovery

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The new series premieres Sunday night. The buzz around the premiere episode is that it is awesome. Anybody else pumped? It's about time we have a new series.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I am excited about it but I'm not sure I'll watch it right away. Pretty into MLB/NCAAF and in the middle of a few other shows right now.

Trekkies are literally the worst fans out there . When TNG launched there were death threats made about how bad they hated it, universally hated by trekkies...now it's sacred canon. We're seeing the same thing now. My hope is that the "normal person" reviews are good enough to save the series because it could be the greatest tv show in history and the hard core fans are going to absolutely hate it no matter what.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I am excited about it but I'm not sure I'll watch it right away. Pretty into MLB/NCAAF and in the middle of a few other shows right now.

Trekkies are literally the worst fans out there . When TNG launched there were death threats made about how bad they hated it, universally hated by trekkies...now it's sacred canon. We're seeing the same thing now. My hope is that the "normal person" reviews are good enough to save the series because it could be the greatest tv show in history and the hard core fans are going to absolutely hate it no matter what.

I did a little bit of work with Star Trek Beyond in product development and despite announcement of a 4th "reboot" movie I still get the vibe that it isn't a sure thing and isn't on a fast track compared to some other whored out franchises that have a sequel planned every single year no matter what (hope you want Transformers 9 and F&F 11 because you'll get them). To me maybe it'd be a good thing to give this series a little room to breath and grow.

Absolutely. As a trek fan, the fanbase is absolutely awful at times. I especially hate the current general criticism that acts as if star trek is all about deep philosophical issues and that the current movies aren't star trek because they don't really have that. This ignores that the successful movies were almost always primarily action based and the things they talk about were largely products of the different tv series.

I do wish star trek would stop looking into its past though. I was hoping when we finally got a new series it would be a 'next, next generation' type show, not yet

Side note- anyone watching The Orville? The critics panned it but most audience reviews have been very positive from what i've seen, and i've enjoyed it. A nice humorous take on star trek.

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeBacon and HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I do wish star trek would stop looking into its past though. I was hoping when we finally got a new series it would be a 'next, next generation' type show, not yet

If you aren't already a fan of Deep Space Nine I can't recommend it highly enough. It starts a little slow but from season 4 until the finish it is absolutely as good as Star Trek has ever been. Then that's it...the end of DS9 ends the ongoing sotry of TOS, TOS movies, TNG (and moviesmostly) and DS9.

Voyager takes place in completely unrelated far flung space, Enterprise prequel, 3 reboot movies, now another prequel series. To me that's the one pretty valid criticism the Trekkies have (before even watching it). This could still be good but it makes me wonder if the last episode of DS9 will always essentially be the end for the core of Star Trek content.

• Agree
Reactions: JJIII and CloneIce

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If you aren't already a fan of Deep Space Nine I can't recommend it highly enough. It starts a little slow but from season 4 until the finish it is absolutely as good as Star Trek has ever been. Then that's it...the end of DS9 ends the ongoing sotry of TOS, TOS movies, TNG (and moviesmostly) and DS9.

Agreed. I loved DS9 for the most part. Was almost ahead of its time a bit, moving to more long-arcing stories and whatnot, which was harder to do in an era before DVR\Streaming.

Voyager takes place in completely unrelated far flung space, Enterprise prequel, 3 reboot movies, now another prequel series. To me that's the one pretty valid criticism the Trekkies have (before even watching it). This could still be good but it makes me wonder if the last episode of DS9 will always essentially be the end for the core of Star Trek content.

Yeah, especially if this series is a flop (which i think it could be simply because of the whole 'forcing people to subscribe just for a single show' thing), it could be another 10 years before someone tries to take on a trek tv show again.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Was excited to hear about a new series, but disappointed to find out it was only going to be on a pay streaming service after the premier episode. Doubt I will bother watching because I have no intention of paying for another service I won't use otherwise. Oh well... :(

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Ya, basically $6 a month for a show that you are not sure is going to be any good. With as bad as regular CBS programing is you would think they would use this to bolster other programs.

• Informative
Reactions: Nothingman

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ya, basically $6 a month for a show that you are not sure is going to be any good. With as bad as regular CBS programing is you would think they would use this to bolster other programs.

Theyve been pretty bad about adapting to the streaming environment in general. Some networks have figured out that the best way to grow your current shows is to get those shows fully online so people can catch up and become new live viewers (the kind of viewers most desired by advertisers). CBS is not one of those networks.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Theyve been pretty bad about adapting to the streaming environment in general. Some networks have figured out that the best way to grow your current shows is to get those shows fully online so people can catch up and become new live viewers (the kind of viewers most desired by advertisers). CBS is not one of those networks.

It's going to be interesting to see Disney try. I feel bad for people excited thinking they'll have all the Pixar movies at their streaming desire when in reality they'll have Cars 2 for 3 months waiting for the next one. This is the company that regularly did things like tricking people into buying Bambi on VHS under the false pretense it was the only time in history they'd be able to purchase it...and they were so good at marketing their fans were actually happy about this "vault" concept.

Right now Trekkies have nearly everything ever made on Amazon Prime and Netflix. At some point CBS could have all that exclusively on their service. While I prefer the way it is now...I could see myself periodically subscribing to that off and on.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Deep Space 9 is easily the best star trek series, and one of my favorite TV series of all time. Right up their with BSG for the best sci-fi TV.

I would love to see the continuation of the TNG/DS9/Voyager era timeline, but I do think its challenging to make a series after those shows... the Federation is at peace with most everyone, technology is incredibly advanced, and they have defeated the Dominion and the Borg. It would probably have to be a 100 years or so later and be a reset of sorts. I can see why the new showrunners wanted to go back to more of a wild west era, pre original series.

Reactions: kentkel

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
If you guys are really fans, you can't afford $5 a month to watch a series? That's like one beer at the bar.

Reactions: Macloney

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If you guys are really fans, you can't afford $5 a month to watch a series? That's like one beer at the bar.

I will...just the new TV model makes me not rushed. I haven't watched the latest season of Game of Thrones either...but I know some day I will buy HBO for one month and watch it. There's little sense of urgency for me with TV now. Sports is pretty much the only entertainment where something being "new" matters at all to me anymore.

Reactions: Buster28

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I will...just the new TV model makes me not rushed. I haven't watched the latest season of Game of Thrones either...but I know some day I will buy HBO for one month and watch it. There's little sense of urgency for me with TV now. Sports is pretty much the only entertainment where something being "new" matters at all to me anymore.

You make a good point but I need a new sunday night show and it's fun to have a series to look forward to... and we are just finishing up a ds9 rewatch so perfect timing!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Side note- anyone watching The Orville? The critics panned it but most audience reviews have been very positive from what i've seen, and i've enjoyed it. A nice humorous take on star trek.

I saw it last week, only episode I've seen -- was surprised how relatively serious it was. I was expecting 100% Family Guy riffing on Trek: bathroom humor, lots of cleavage and sex jokes. But it had a sorta thoughtful plot (even though it was a complete ripoff of 60 year old Twilight Zone episode), and some actual conflict and drama.

I won't make it a priority to watch, but wouldn't turn it off if it was on.

More cleavage might put it over the top for me.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

That's not the point. I don't feel like I should have to pay more than what I'm already paying for satellite and internet to watch something from a broadcast (aka "free") network. And if they're going to show the premier on tv, then hide the rest of the episodes in a subscription service, I guess they really don't want me to watch that badly. They're going to lose a lot of viewers who don't give two f***s about anything that's only available through a streaming service. If that's your thing and you're into it, great. They're going to have to make money from SOMEone with this show.

Last edited: