(Lack of) Iowa Football Fan Support

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Supply and demand it really isn't that difficult to figure out. It's basic economics.

Aside from it looking pretty on TV it doesn't really matter to the bottom line and in fact one could argue that selling the seats for $25 just to get people in the door isn't an economically sound decision. Iowa is probably making more money being close to a sellout then they would be if they lowered prices to sell out every game.

It's simple math. Don't get me wrong I think it's pretty sad they can't sell out a night game vs. Penn State but like I said in my previous post it isn't like this isn't a new issue at Iowa or just about any other school for that matter.

For me it's just the irony that they were so butthurt Game Day didn't come but then they'll have a list of excuses why their own fans won't go.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
I got an excuse that actually makes a lot of sense. Look at the location of U of I. It is not like that of Ames. Central location makes it easier to travel to for all of the fans in the state. I am from western Iowa. Going 4.5 hours one way to a game only happens for me 1 time a year with a family. SO IMO the eastern side needs to pick it up and Illinois too.

There is no excuse for not selling out, but night games make travel hard for people on the other half of the state. Just my opinion.

ISU you do not need a hotel after the game because going there is like 1.5 hours for me instead of the 4.5 to 5 hour drive. If that makes sense to you guys at all. BUT Iowa should have a sell out and probably will get one. the $$ is an issue for a lot of people. and my wife and I do not have sucky jobs either. It is what it is now a days.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I got an excuse that actually makes a lot of sense. Look at the location of U of I. It is not like that of Ames. Central location makes it easier to travel to for all of the fans in the state. I am from western Iowa. Going 4.5 hours one way to a game only happens for me 1 time a year with a family. SO IMO the eastern side needs to pick it up and Illinois too.

There is no excuse for not selling out, but night games make travel hard for people on the other half of the state. Just my opinion.

ISU you do not need a hotel after the game because going there is like 1.5 hours for me instead of the 4.5 to 5 hour drive. If that makes sense to you guys at all. BUT Iowa should have a sell out and probably will get one. the $$ is an issue for a lot of people. and my wife and I do not have sucky jobs either. It is what it is now a days.

Iowa fans excuses on game times:

11am kickoffs: makes it harder for people to come because they have to get up so early
Afternoon kickoffs: makes it harder for people to come because they it takes up the entire day
Night games: makes it harder for people to come because they get home so late

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Would the western part of the state account for that discrepancy? Maybe less than 5% of their fans at Kinnick? I'd bet most of their fans come from IC, CR, Dbq, Quad Cities, Wat/CF, DM areas, surrounding areas, and in-between areas. They're all within two hours.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Iowa fans excuses on game times:

11am kickoffs: makes it harder for people to come because they have to get up so early
Afternoon kickoffs: makes it harder for people to come because they it takes up the entire day
Night games: makes it harder for people to come because they get home so late

Yeah you are correct but I am not wrong in my assessment either. It is hard for people from western Iowa to get to all the home games every Saturday. People have it easier traveling to Ames. Also to make my argument even more right, MOST of the time ISU fans have to go to the games because they are not on general TV like Iowa is with ESPN/ABC/BTN etc. So ISU has it easier for fans going to games because they are usually not on TV with the basic cable channels.

Distance and TV access due a disfavor to Iowa, Distance lack of TV exposure help ISU. Those are facts not excuses.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah you are correct but I am not wrong in my assessment either. It is hard for people from western Iowa to get to all the home games every Saturday. People have it easier traveling to Ames. Also to make my argument even more right, MOST of the time ISU fans have to go to the games because they are not on general TV like Iowa is with ESPN/ABC/BTN etc. So ISU has it easier for fans going to games because they are usually not on TV with the basic cable channels.

Distance and TV access due a disfavor to Iowa, Distance lack of TV exposure help ISU. Those are facts not excuses.

giphy.webp

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
BTN is a "basic" cable channel like ESPN and ABC but Fox Sports isn't.

The funny part about that is with DirecTV you get ESPN, ABC and Fox Sports with their second lowest package but to get BTN you have to go up another package just to have access to it which is $14 more per month.

Reactions: breck53

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
BTN is a "basic" cable channel like ESPN and ABC but Fox Sports isn't.

The funny part about that is with DirecTV you get ESPN, ABC and Fox Sports with their second lowest package but to get BTN you have to go up another package just to have access to it which is $14 more per month.
False

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'm with you but the statement is accurate. There's a reason big time programs like tOSU have put in wireless internet stadium wide... You have to change with the times.

Or just a bunch of extra cell towers. Not being able to get even basic data access when you are at a game is a legitimate drawback to attending in person. Even just checking scores of other games is impossible at most stadiums.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I see it as a combination of things at Iowa:

1. Poor marketing (Murph and Andy went on about this yesterday and had some great points)./
2. Price gouging.
3. Parking and logistics is a disaster. If you live in Des Moines, you aren't getting home until at least 2 AM.
4. Team plays for the most part a boring style of play, their own fans have said this.
5. Iowa has a large fan base, but how many of them actually spend money towards the university? I know many Iowa fans that have never stepped foot in Iowa City.
6. This one is more of a guess, but maybe there is a feeling Penn State will roll them?

One other thing too is that apparently all of the hotels in the area require a two night minimum stay on game weekends. That would be a non-starter for me. I'd be happy to get a hotel room that night for after the game, but I'm not going to pay for two nights. Apparently enough idiots do it that they're able to get away with it.

Maybe some of these fans should be supporting the program that is just a quick 30 minute jaunt up the road instead. Problem is we lost an entire generation of fan building a few decades ago, but that's a debate for another thread.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Lol. Do you seriously live under a rock? It's hilarious how many Iowa fans think we are never on tv. FS1 is a channel you get with basic cable man.

Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Tickets on stubhub for $50 but I guess Iowa fans aren't going to go since they finally get to watch their team on a basic cable channel (ABC/ESPN) and don't HAVE to go just to be able to see it.

Reactions: GTO

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Here's the real question now that we're less than 12 hours before game time.... have they decided to hand out free condoms and nachos yet to anyone that buys a ticket today?

But seriously, does anyone think that we're nearing a tipping point soon with sports attendance in general? These teams are building nicer and nicer stadiums, making tons of expensive renovations, building athlete only dorms that pamper these athletes like crazy, etc, etc, etc.

It's just becoming WAY too expensive for people to justify supporting this arms race IMO. I think it's going to be a huge problem going forward. These schools are going to build these cathedrals, and in a few years they might be half full.

Reactions: Buster28