Is Pollard a serious candidate for the Neb Ad job

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I know their roster pretty well. Losing 3 of their top 4 players from last year plus Horne but yes I'm aware they return Watson and Copeland who should be really good. I think that Allen kid who will be a freshman will be a key guy too.
The only thing good about taking that job would be Valentino's pizza...thats about it.
You a fat ass, LincolnWay?

Reactions: LincolnWay187

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I wanted to respond to this, and a few other posts, that suggest Pollard's dream/perfect job is Wisconsin. I used to be of this mindset as well, but I'm not so sure.

Maybe 5-6 years ago I heard Pollard speak to a relatively small and non-public group about building culture in an organization. This wasn't about athletics specifically, but of course he related a lot of it back to the ISU athletic department and what he was trying to accomplish there.

I don't remember much of the talk, but one thing really struck me. He talked in surprisingly explicit terms about Wisconsin and how the culture suffered there because they forgot who they were. I don't recall him describing anything specific, but these comments weren't made in passing; he stayed on this topic for a minute or two. I remember thinking at the time how candid he was being and how something big must have happened while he was there to sour his opinion on a place that was so critical to his career. The comments were very striking at the time.

As I said, that was years ago and certainly relationships can mend. Time heals a lot of wounds and big contact offers heal even more. But I used to think, like most, that someday we would lose him to Wisconsin. But I walked away from that talk thinking that if we ever lost him, it wouldn't be to them.

What that means for Nebraska, I have no idea. But with all the Wisconsin talk I wanted to offer that thought.

He probably got tired of others' immoral personal behavior

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Tin foil hat firmly in place....he did buy a lake house at Panorama. Why not Clear Lake??? Now we know!

All kidding aside, Pollard should be greatly considered for this job, and nearly every job in the Midwest - he's just that good. I am confident he stays in Ames until the Wiscy job is available . We need to realize how fortunate we are to have him and do all we can to keep him here for as long as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
No and we are heading in a better direction than them, Jamie has done awesome here.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
He would be foolish not to make this move if offered the position. He's gotten 3 chances to hire the right guy for football here, if the current regime doesnt work out its hard to imagine he would get a 4th, especially considering he couldnt retain Fred and wrestling is such a dumpster fire. He would get a substantial pay increase at NU, he would be working for the best run conference in America, and he would still get the chance to stick it to Iowa.

This is just amazingly dumb.

I certainly haven't agreed with every move he's made, but he's nowhere near on the hot seat. Even if Campbell doesn't work out.

Under his tenure, Jamie has:
Guided the program through turbulent times during realignment.
Developed and implemented a comprehensive facilities plan, improving the student and fan experience in just about every aspect.
Seen massive growth in the fanbase at large, through efforts that target all ranges of potential fans to bring them in.
Greatly increased donations and season ticket numbers.

As for his major coaching hires:
- He hired a very hot coaching candidate in Gene Chizik. We'll never actually know if that was a bad hire, one could argue Rhoads' early success came off the recruiting Chizik did.
- He hired Greg McDermott, a coach that has done well both before and after ISU. Something went wrong here, but every coaching tenure is at some level a gamble, and he was a solid pickup at the time.
- He hired Paul Rhoads, who appeared to be a great fit, which fans were asking for after Chizik. Ultimately, this fell apart, but one must keep in mind the effect of realignment here- he had early success, and right when he shouldve been receiving recruiting benefits from that, the big 12 was falling apart, which is no help for recruiting.
- He identified Fred Hoiberg as a head coach, a move that took massive cojones to make, and it paid off massively. He kept him happy as long as was probably possible, but he was always going to leave. He didn't like recruiting and always wanted to coach 'at the highest level'
- He picked up Prohm, who has had a solid start, bringing the team back to the tournament twice and winning a big 12 tournament.
- He picked up Campbell, an in-demand candidate who so far seems to be showing improvements, though it is early.

There's nothing there i look at and go 'Jamie, you ****** up'.

Nebraska would be lucky to have him. But it would seem surprising if he'd go. Why jump into that dumpster fire of a program? With a fanbase that still has 1990s expectations when the college football landscape has completely changed all around them, there will never be pleasing that fanbase.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Your last paragraph is why he's foolish if he doesn't go. For all of thier problems, and they certainly have them, NU has resources our athletic department could only dream of.

It's kinda like HS. You have this girlfriend, and she's nice, and she treats you well because her last boyfriend was abusive so its not like you are unhappy. But then the fair queen from Polk county breaks it off with her guy and she asks you to come hang out with her in her basement cause her parents are out of town and she gets scared staying in the house alone. One kind of guy netflix and chills with the Polk county fair queen and one type takes Cassie to good old Hickory Park.

Pollard has it made at ISU. He lives a good life and has things as he wants them. Why go take over that mess when he can have such better jobs, if he wants.

I have idea the **** your point is in the second paragraph.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Tin foil hat firmly in place....he did buy a lake house at Panorama. Why not Clear Lake??? Now we know!

All kidding aside, Pollard should be greatly considered for this job, and nearly every job in the Midwest - he's just that good. I am confident he stays in Ames until the Wiscy job is available . We need to realize how fortunate we are to have him and do all we can to keep him here for as long as possible.
i remember the last time people were thinking he was leaving lasted a couple weeks and I posted that he is 100% not leaving. It was when he had purchased that house and I knew for a fact he was going through with the closing.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Might JP consider going to Notre Dame? I thought he had some connection there too.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Alberts to UNL getting a lot of play on the Omaha media...there definitely are worse picks than Alberts.

I didn't think it was possible for me to hate Nebraska more than I do now.. but if they hire that colossal douchebag, I will.

Have you looked into UNO athletics? He canned football and wrestling, one of them coming off a national championship, so they could make the jump to D1. Then helped sign a deal for Baxter arena. Their athletic department is over 1 million in the hole.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

If he would have bought in Clear Lake, he is at risk of running into the man he fired two years ago, Paul Rhoads.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I didn't think it was possible for me to hate Nebraska more than I do now.. but if they hire that colossal douchebag, I will.

Have you looked into UNO athletics? He canned football and wrestling, one of them coming off a national championship, so they could make the jump to D1. Then helped sign a deal for Baxter arena. Their athletic department is over 1 million in the hole.

And this is why I hope Alberts gets the job. He is sooooo perfect for the douchy Nebraska fans. So. Perfect.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Good Info! Why would Vandy pay so much for their AD ?

Are some of these high figures due to one-year bonuses? I wondered if that was the case for Pollard...I didn't think he made quite that much annually, but I could definitely be wrong.