Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
allrighty, kickball time! I even took notes so I could remember the good things in the correct order.

So we started kinda bad, I popped up and caught or they threw it at me on first and tagged me, don't know don't care. Early on our first base person got scared by the ball or something and stopped three feet from first (ball in her hands) and then thought she needed to throw to 2nd or something????? So other team got on first, second, and guy on third ran home and scored. I cover 2nd and I was......confuzzled at her moves.

Apparently she had half a pitcher of beer before the game. I said that was a bad idea!

So then there was a really deep kick by them (their best of the game) and DH was like "Mine! Mine!" and then caught it but not like a boss - it wobbled a bit. But then, like a boss, he ran towards first and threw it at the guy running back to first and nailed him in the ass. DOUBLE KILL! It was great. We were walking off and friend is like "CG, what's it like to be married to such a rockstar?" I said "pretty great", lame, I know. I used my good quips later in the game.

However, the sentiment was short lived. My next up I kicked it somewhere (IDK, pretty sure it was right at the pitcher cause that's how I roll) and he tried to run me down to first and I was moving my little legs......saw him in the corner of my eye as I touched the base.......listened......"SAFE!"

DH kicks behind me. Kicks it Right. Over. Second. They do drop it, but he screwed me over good. They got me out. Third base coach guy yells that DH is ****** for the next week. I yell back "no, he's not" Vulgar joke. They get bases loaded that time but third base coach doesn't kick well and we don't score.

We continue to do well defensively - a ball came high right at second and DH and other guy are right up behind me but I stuck my hands out and caught that puppy right out in front of me. I'm holding the ball looking at the pitcher in shock. I was so proud. Another time DH ran up and caught the ball at second that could have been mine ( I was fine with him taking it, it was on his side of the base). It looked aggressive though. Friend is like "DH, next time just donkey kick CG out of the way."

So my third at bat - I should mention that to this point I'd been letting the count build a bit. The pitched a lot of juuuust wide stuff so I kinda played chicken with it cause I knew my kicking wasn't great. They go wide right. Ball. They go wide left. Ball. DH is behind the cage and warns "that was close". They go left again and I can see it's probably going to be a strike but I was lined up right and didn't want to take it. So I let it go. It's just barely a strike. I can totally hear DH judging me. Whatevs, I'm making the pitcher work.

Next pitch, they go wide left again.

I got a walk. I was so damn proud. Teammates are like "GOOD EYES, CG!" and I yell back "I EAT MY CARROTS, *****!" DH joked after the game that "a walk does not mean a literal 'walk' to first." He's like "you could have jogged. You were strolling. I'm pretty sure they pitched to me before you were on base."

Anyway, DH is up behind me and he hits a nice ball. I run. Get to 2nd and third base coach is waving me on. I continue to third. I think I should probably stop but he's like "go for home!" I go but I can see the ball is now about back to midfield and they get me about 15 ft from home plate :( I was much sad and mad at the base coach. My beautiful walk, all for naught. However, they throw to first on the next girl and DH got home. Tied up.

So the next inning around DH kicks and just nails it. Way behind first base. He gets on third. But it comes back around to third base coach guy again and he fouls out. We have to take the field last and get a series of good plays and catches.

No ending drama - we ended all tied up. It was a fun game and opponents were fun too. I think we both spent a lot of time heckling our own teammates.
But man, I was sad about getting out. If I had stayed at third, we probably would have had multiple runs that inning. And third base guy pooped out the end of an inning with multiple people on base three times. No bueno.

This is long, but there was good stuff tonight.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
allrighty, kickball time! I even took notes so I could remember the good things in the correct order.

So we started kinda bad, I popped up and caught or they threw it at me on first and tagged me, don't know don't care. Early on our first base person got scared by the ball or something and stopped three feet from first (ball in her hands) and then thought she needed to throw to 2nd or something????? So other team got on first, second, and guy on third ran home and scored. I cover 2nd and I was......confuzzled at her moves.

Apparently she had half a pitcher of beer before the game. I said that was a bad idea!

So then there was a really deep kick by them (their best of the game) and DH was like "Mine! Mine!" and then caught it but not like a boss - it wobbled a bit. But then, like a boss, he ran towards first and threw it at the guy running back to first and nailed him in the ass. DOUBLE KILL! It was great. We were walking off and friend is like "CG, what's it like to be married to such a rockstar?" I said "pretty great", lame, I know. I used my good quips later in the game.

However, the sentiment was short lived. My next up I kicked it somewhere (IDK, pretty sure it was right at the pitcher cause that's how I roll) and he tried to run me down to first and I was moving my little legs......saw him in the corner of my eye as I touched the base.......listened......"SAFE!"

DH kicks behind me. Kicks it Right. Over. Second. They do drop it, but he screwed me over good. They got me out. Third base coach guy yells that DH is ****** for the next week. I yell back "no, he's not" Vulgar joke. They get bases loaded that time but third base coach doesn't kick well and we don't score.

We continue to do well defensively - a ball came high right at second and DH and other guy are right up behind me but I stuck my hands out and caught that puppy right out in front of me. I'm holding the ball looking at the pitcher in shock. I was so proud. Another time DH ran up and caught the ball at second that could have been mine ( I was fine with him taking it, it was on his side of the base). It looked aggressive though. Friend is like "DH, next time just donkey kick CG out of the way."

So my third at bat - I should mention that to this point I'd been letting the count build a bit. The pitched a lot of juuuust wide stuff so I kinda played chicken with it cause I knew my kicking wasn't great. They go wide right. Ball. They go wide left. Ball. DH is behind the cage and warns "that was close". They go left again and I can see it's probably going to be a strike but I was lined up right and didn't want to take it. So I let it go. It's just barely a strike. I can totally hear DH judging me. Whatevs, I'm making the pitcher work.

I got a walk. I was so damn proud. Teammates are like "GOOD EYES, CG!" and I yell back "I EAT MY CARROTS, *****!" DH joked after the game that "a walk does not mean a literal 'walk' to first." He's like "you could have jogged. You were strolling. I'm pretty sure they pitched to me before you were on base."

Anyway, DH is up behind me and he hits a nice ball. I run. Get to 2nd and third base coach is waving me on. I continue to third. I think I should probably stop but he's like "go for home!" I go but I can see the ball is now about back to midfield and they get me about 15 ft from home plate :( I was much sad and mad at the base coach. My beautiful walk, all for naught. However, they throw to first on the next girl and DH got home. Tied up.

So the next inning around DH kicks and just nails it. Way behind first base. He gets on third. But it comes back around to third base coach guy again and he fouls out. We have to take the field last and get a series of good plays and catches.

No ending drama - we ended all tied up. It was a fun game and opponents were fun too. I think we both spent a lot of time heckling our own teammates.
But man, I was sad about getting out. If I had stayed at third, we probably would have had multiple runs that inning. And third base guy pooped out the end of an inning with multiple people on base three times. No bueno.

Wait, oh got upgraded from first base to second base?! I'm so proud of you!

Also, not once have I ever heard of someone trying to work up the pitch count on a kickball pitcher.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Wait, oh got upgraded from first base to second base?! I'm so proud of you!

Also, not once have I ever heard of someone trying to work up the pitch count on a kickball pitcher.

I do what I gotta do. Also, I hate to say but getting moved to 2nd was kind of a demotion. But girl on first played collegiate softball so she's usually pretty great.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I know you have all been waiting to hear how the trip to the apple orchard was. ;) First off, it was overcast and very tolerable out in the morning. And the tractor ride we got on was one with just wooden benches, so no hay. :) Deal's Orchard over by Jefferson was a lot of fun for the kiddos--lots of things for them to do. Corn pool, bikes/trike track, water play, goats/sheep/llama to feed, slides (big tube, went down on saucer sleds), "hamster wheels", and a big jumping "pillow". Shortly after we got there they lost electricity for some reason, so we had a slight change in some plans, but it worked. Thankfully we had gotten 90% of the kids through the bathroom before it happened since they run on well water. No electricity=no bathroom. Was not looking forward to having 60 kids plus chaperones go in one port a potty before the return trip. The electricity was restored by that time. Crisis adverted.

Observations:
--A 75+min bus ride is long. My butt hurt by the end.
--Apples taste good right off the tree when you pick them yourself
--Putting goat feed in cake ice cream cones is ingenious. So much better than paper cups.
--Lots of farmers out in the fields. We went a little north and then west since Hwy 30 is closed for a stretch. Very pretty countryside drive.

Just saw that the Deal family donated some dwarf Honeycrisp trees to our school landscape classes, so once they start producing our school will have fresh apples in the fall.
I want to hear more about the corn pool.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009

So when you say "pretty great" does that mean you were "pretty sure that you were somewhat proud" of him?

Reactions: cowgirl836

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Now for my less intense and in depth report on my flag football game. WE WON! Everyone played pretty good on both sides of the ball. I didn't play much but did have one good catch for a first down. We have 11 people for 7 playing positions and I would say at least 5 of those people play the whole game. I would like to play more but don't get bent out of shape about it since it is a rec league.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I want to hear more about the corn pool.

I'd never heard it called that before, but I like the term. It's where they put bales of straw in a square and dump a crapload of corn in it for kids to dig around in.

upload_2017-9-22_8-9-5.jpeg

I've heard it doesn't work as well with other vegetables.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'd never heard it called that before, but I like the term. It's where they put bales of straw in a square and dump a crapload of corn in it for kids to dig around in.

View attachment 50090

I've heard it doesn't work as well with other vegetables.
Saw one of these for the first time ever when we went to the corn maze in Bondurant. I thought it was a really neat idea. I wanted to jump in & play in it, but I think the kids in there would have thought I was weird...

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'm beginning my third week of this chest cold. I just seem to shake the coughing and congestion. The last 4 nights I've slathered Vicks Vaporub on my chest before bed, and I've been taking Pertussin as well. It hasn't been bad for the last few days, except for when I lie down.

Anybody else had this, or have any advice? (@jcyclonee, I know that good brandy works wonders. You can come over and self-medicate with me if you want.) I just want to get rid of it.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So on the field trip yesterday about 75% of parents go, too. Coach Campbell's wife and son tended to be off by themselves. I thought to myself, "How would CG make her her friend?" I decided meowing at her may not be the best approach.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm beginning my third week of this chest cold. I just seem to shake the coughing and congestion. The last 4 nights I've slathered Vicks Vaporub on my chest before bed, and I've been taking Pertussin as well. It hasn't been bad for the last few days, except for when I lie down.

Anybody else had this, or have any advice? (@jcyclonee, I know that good brandy works wonders. You can come over and self-medicate with me if you want.) I just want to get rid of it.

Don't you live in South Carolina or something like that?

I call dibs on my new southern vacation home when @SCyclone passes.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Bad idea because she's in Wisconsin and it should have been a full pitcher?

Good update. Lots of details an excitement. It was a bit like a book you can't put down and I liked that the game ended in a tie. That was a surprise twist to a narrative that usually only goes one of two ways.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

I am not putting Vicks Vaporub on your chest.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik
Status
Not open for further replies.